Wooden Bat Bones Frame Build

kah00na

Thanks so much for sharing, I'll try and clean up the files tonight and post back.
(CAD Technician as trade so I can create DWG/PDF's for everyone to cutout)

Sweet! I may have to re-cut my frame after you are finished! It would be nice if both sides were symmetrical!

kah00na

Can you check if a kk2 board fits into the large hole in the top plate? I think it might be a bit tight.

I got my KK2.0 board in the mail and you are correct. It is too small. I'll have to cut some out I guess. I need to find a picture of someone's Bat Bones where I can see the KK2 board installed so I can see how big the hole is suppose to be. I'm glad you mentioned that now while I'm still waiting for my motors to come in.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You probably need to mount the board before you put the top frame on. Then you don't have to worry about fitting the board through the hole.

kah00na

You probably need to mount the board before you put the top frame on. Then you don't have to worry about fitting the board through the hole.

This picture from the v-tail build video looks like it should fit in. I may have the dimensions wrong, or I may just mount the KK2 board near the rear like they show on the V-tail at the beginning of the build video.
kk2inbb.png

Last edited:
True, but I think I'd still like to have clearance to allow the ESC and receiver cables to be plugged/unplugged. The plugs are on the edges of the board.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Plus it looks like the dimensions might be off a little based on that picture above...I was thinking it might be just barely too small where you could still access the plugs.

Johan

I fitted the KK2 after putting it all together, so that should be possible. What the above pic does not show is that the KK2 board extends below the receiver.

By the way, those orange receivers appears to be smaller that the Turnigy 9Ch receivers:

kk2_batbone.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The orange in the photo above IS standing on edge but it still looks to be a little smaller...

Johan

Yeah, because the picture with the orange looked rather nice :) , compact, I tried the same, but the turnigy just sticks out way more.
So apparently it is thicker and deeper (sticks out both ways: depth an height).
So instead I velcro'd (sure that is not a verb) it to the top (In the pic it is not in place :) ,moved it out of the way to show the gap.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sorry Johan, I figured you knew, I was only pointing it out to anyone that might not realize it was sitting on it's side. We have a lot of people here that are newer to the hobby and might not have seen alot of different Rx's...

Johan

That's only good :) The more knowledge is out here the better
There is sooo much I still don't know :p

kah00na

The Sunny Sky X2212-13 980kv motors arrived today! Sweet! The lighting made them look kind of blue but they look black to me.
2013-08-18_20-55-23_702.jpg

The arrival of the motors completes everything I need to get this build really started!
2013-08-18_21-06-07_77.jpg

I'm going to recover the speed controllers in black shrink wrap to try to keep the vtail as black as possible. Black is much better for the Bat Bones!
2013-08-18_22-11-25_781.jpg

I also need to get my camera tray finished. I have the pieces cut out for it, I just need to get some wire and put it together. I'm going to work on that and this v-tail quadcopter this week in the evenings so hopefully I'll get it put together and have some flight footage!

Last edited:

EdinSimon

kah00na,

I've uploaded the drawing as promised, work got to me so applogies it's taken so long.

I can accomodate any comments no problem - take a look.

Renders.JPG

Simon.

Attachments

• Batbone Body - Top Plate & Landing Gear.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 437
  • Batbone Body - Bottom Plate & Tray.pdf
    35 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

Gopherdave

Hello all:

Thank-you, this is awesome. I wanted to get a bat-bone but it's too small for the dt750 motors and 4s battery. I tried to figure a way to enlarge it but couldn't find the right picture, now we all have it!
Question: If I use this size of templates for 1.6 mm G-10 (pc board), 35 cm arms, dt750's, 4s in a Tri configuration will the frames be strong enough or shout I scale them up 10 to 20 percent?

Dave
--> warming up his printer and scroll saw.

Gopherdave

Hello:

Answered my own question, scaled it up to 120% when I printed it,looks good. Scaled up booms are 12" to 14" depending how you mount the motor, I'm going 14" and zip tied as in Davids tricopter build. Going to make some frame spacers as in the bat bone kit. Lots more work but I think it's worth the effort. The bat bone looks so cool in fast forward flight, impressive silhouette. It should be easy to see it's orientation.

Stefan

Hi!

Do you have any updates to share with us? I'm about to start on a v-tail based on your plans and want to know how everyting is working out

kah00na

One of the motors I got is bad so it isn't moving right now. I'm going to remake the frame based on the CAD drawing so the KK2 board will fit in the hole and rest on the lower frame. Since I have 3 good motors, I'm going to make it a tricopter but now I'm waiting on the rear servo to arrive.... Dumb motor.