Wooden Bat Bones Frame Build

Stefan

Photo%202013-09-15%2011%2038%2003.jpg

Now my frame is almost done. I'm going to get buttonhead hex screws and lock nuts but after that the frame is done.

Do you guys have any recommendations on motors? I'm thinking about these, http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=823&productname= or http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=823&productname=

epic.engineering

Looks awesome stefan, I don't have much experience with the motors. I can say they look just like the 28 series motors everyone is starting to use from hobby king. So I'm sure they will work. I also ordered high kv motors, which requires running smaller props 8,9, inches max I'd think.. but someone else might chime in about the prop size.. but I think the motors are a decent choice.. it's going to be a fast one.

kah00na

I finally got all the missing parts in and got more finished on my tricopter.
2013-09-19_20-15-17_844.jpg 2013-09-19_20-33-33_891.jpg 2013-09-19_20-33-39_961.jpg 2013-09-19_20-33-51_679.jpg

Here is the Wooden Bat Bones compared the my previous tricopter. The Bat Bones is much smaller with slower motors and larger props.
2013-09-19_20-34-25_489.jpg

I should have a video of it flying soon. For the first flight attempt my rear motor was backward, then later one of the propellers some how got way out of balance and it was wobbling around like crazy. After it was balanced, it started flying real well!

kah00na

I have the camera tray and GoPro attached now. I flew it around a little last night but it was pretty dark so most of the footage is worthless. A 3S battery can lift it alright but it is pretty slow to respond. My 4S battery works a lot better. I'll probably have to get some 10" or 11" propellers to use my 3S batteries. Also the fact that I have a separate 2S battery to power the tranmitter doesn't help much. :)

2013-09-21_20-02-35_842.jpg 2013-09-21_20-02-46_400.jpg 2013-09-21_20-03-06_933.jpg

epic.engineering

I maiden the bat bone a few minutes ago. I used blue and red L.E.D. from hobby king.. I cut the ribbon and put 15 L.E.D on each boom. Blue in the front red on the back.. it's so friggin bright it was hurting my eyes to look at it..literally.. and that is when it was just above the telephone poles/tree line.. Looks cool if you can stand to look at it.. I'm hoping it will be easier on the eyes during the day.:D

kah00na

I maiden the bat bone a few minutes ago. I used blue and red L.E.D. from hobby king.

Cool. Do you have any night pictures of it?

Here are some specs from my wooden Bat Bones:
- Frame with all electronics and battery tray, no camera or batteries = 743.4 grams
- 2650 Zippy 4S about 280 grams
- 980kv Sunny Sky X2212-13 motors
- Hobby King 30 amp UBEC ESC
- KK2.0 board

Flight Tests:
9"x4.7 propeller, 1 battery on board, using 1 battery = 12 minutes
9"x4.7 propeller, 2 batteries on board, using 1 battery = 8.5 minutes
9"x4.7 propeller, 2 batteries on board, using 2 battery = 18 minutes

Is 18 minutes of continuous flight better than 24 with a battery-switch break? I'm thinking it is not. I have some 10x4.7 and 11x4.7 on order and hopefully they'll increase the flight times on all three of the scenarios above.

Here is a short video of me using the wooden Bat Bone tricopter in a way I really shouldn't.

FYI, smoke does indeed stick to every bit of a tricopter.
2013-09-24_17-22-03_864.2.jpg

epic.engineering

Second time it's been in the air, first time really flying it around. My friend stop recording so you don't see it way up there.. but you can see how bright it is.

kah00na

You are eventually going to need some LEDs you can see from the top. When it is further away from you and you start to fly toward yourself, you're only going to see the top and at night you'll have a harder time seeing those LEDs because they are only on the bottom. I had similar LEDs on my first tricopter and had that issue and I started to fly around more. Those LEDs look good though! The red and blue contrast well. I was using yellow and red and it was okay.

epic.engineering

You are eventually going to need some LEDs you can see from the top. When it is further away from you and you start to fly toward yourself, you're only going to see the top and at night you'll have a harder time seeing those LEDs because they are only on the bottom. I had similar LEDs on my first tricopter and had that issue and I started to fly around more. Those LEDs look good though! The red and blue contrast well. I was using yellow and red and it was okay.

yeah, I'm noticing that already. That's the way my 1sq v-cam is setup. I originally intended to have the L.E.D roll around to the tips of the boom, but I'd already put on the landing gear.. but you are right. They need to be moved

Johan

I opted for a green strip on the bottom of the rear boom only, but already noticed that the side need attention too (got some LEDs to spare, so I'll figure that out ...

I did not go with the blue (although very nice) since I noticed something strange:

I wear glasses and at night time everything is sharp except some tones of blue (especially the more pure tones of blue), unless I take my glasses off, then the blue is sharper, the rest is not.

So although I like those tones, it is a wrong choice for me ...
BTW, these LED strips are BRIGHT!!! (using 3S)

batboneled.JPG

Last edited:

kah00na

Here's a short video of my first tricopter flying at night with the yellow and red LEDs. Nothing impressive but you can't hardly see the LEDs till it is up above your head.

kah00na

This evening I thought I would try out the new 10" and 11" propellers I got for this wooden bat bones. Well, after reading a few other posts, I thought I really should have bought 12" and thought I would be disappointed by the 10's so I went with the 11" propellers first. WHOA! There is a HUGE difference between 9x4.7 and 11x4.7 propellers! I haven't flow with anything bigger than 9" and I was expecting close to the same performance. Well, I started to throttle up a little and it raised off the ground, then I moved up to a little over half like I always do with my 9" propellers and the tricopter JUMPED UP in the air real quick! I tried to bring it back under control but it swung back real fast toward my face! I push the elevator forward, it leaned forward, and took off like a jet. I pulled back again and it back flipped on to the ground upside down! I stood there stunned for a few seconds trying to process what had just happened. That was an experience and my adrenaline was pumping! Well, fortunately it only broke 2 propellers and I had bought 4 sets of the 11". I removed all three 11" propellers and then put the 10x4.7 on and things were much tamer and I was able to get about 15 minutes of flight time with it. I did NOT know that propeller sizes would make that big of a difference! I have to be more cautious next time I change propellers!

Last edited:

epic.engineering

I flipped mine yesterday, I was a few houses away and from my perspective I thought I was going to hit a tee and I pulled back hard and it flipped and hit the ground upside down.. good thing that neighbor has really nice thick grass.. Brooke the rear boom and pushed the shaft of the motor in.

Used some CA on the split rear boom then threw on a zip tie and it was fixed. Took the motor off tapped the shaft back where it was suppose it be.. now she flies perfectly again.. I'm honestly super happy with the wooden bat bone.. this frame has proven strong so far..I do have to replace the rear landing gear..but that was because I split the wood when I drilled it..

These 1450kv motors with these 8.4,5 props makes this tri a rocket.. I went up about half throttle yesterday and my friend that was attempting to film it couldn't keep up with it..lol

vk2dxn

This evening I thought I would try out the new 10" and 11" propellers I got for this wooden bat bones. Well, after reading a few other posts, I thought I really should have bought 12" and thought I would be disappointed by the 10's so I went with the 11" propellers first. WHOA! There is a HUGE difference between 9x4.7 and 11x4.7 propellers! I haven't flow with anything bigger than 9" and I was expecting close to the same performance. Well, I started to throttle up a little and it raised off the ground, then I moved up to a little over half like I always do with my 9" propellers and the tricopter JUMPED UP in the air real quick! I tried to bring it back under control but it swung back real fast toward my face! I push the elevator forward, it leaned forward, and took off like a jet. I pulled back again and it back flipped on to the ground upside down! I stood there stunned for a few seconds trying to process what had just happened. That was an experience and my adrenaline was pumping! Well, fortunately it only broke 2 propellers and I had bought 4 sets of the 11". I removed all three 11" propellers and then put the 10x4.7 on and things were much tamer and I was able to get about 15 minutes of flight time with it. I did NOT know that propeller sizes would make that big of a difference! I have to be more cautious next time I change propellers!

I knew you would love the bigger props ;-)
With such a short boom length it's going to be really snappy and you will need to dial in some expo.
I'm still waiting for my motor so I'm grounded :-(.
Nice build mate you have skill with wood.
I'm subscribed.