Wooden Bat Bones Frame Build

epic.engineering

just an update, I built a camera mount yesterday and strapped an old Kodak digital camera and took to the skies.. first I should say I flew it over a lake..lol yeah, it was balzy and a white knuckle fight..
Anyway my point is the camera was heavy, probably the weight of the gopro with fpv gear.. it took just a little more throttle to get lift, but once in the air I still flew and hovered around half throttle.. so the fear I had about using the 8in propeller is now gone.. I'm sure as long as the props are balanced I should have a very agile and smooth camera rig.

epic.engineering

oh, I forgot to mention the camera died on take off so I have a picture of the ground I took off from... smh so I flew over a lake for nothing...lol

helinor

Old tread, I know, but wondering how it went with these builds.... Are they still flying? May want to give this frame a try for me and my kid.

Ole

kah00na

My wooden batbones took a bad hit and cracked the top plate. With a little superglue it was still flyable but I always worried it was going to break in the air and crash worse. I was also using it to get better at FPV. In the end, instead of trying to fix it, I used to parts to make a quadcopter instead since I hadn't ever had one before. The only bad thing I ever thought about the batbones was that there wasn't much surface room for accessories. On the "cool" scale, it still ranks near a 10 for me.

helinor

My wooden batbones took a bad hit and cracked the top plate. With a little superglue it was still flyable but I always worried it was going to break in the air and crash worse. I was also using it to get better at FPV. In the end, instead of trying to fix it, I used to parts to make a quadcopter instead since I hadn't ever had one before. The only bad thing I ever thought about the batbones was that there wasn't much surface room for accessories. On the "cool" scale, it still ranks near a 10 for me.

This is how far mine has got. 10" DJI props, front and back, on DJI motors. ESC´s will also be DJI. Custom wiring harness. Will try to get most of it inside the frame. Scaled it up a bit on print out. KK2 board loaded with RC911´s v1.6++ fw. Oh, and my 12 year old son is building one too:D. We are looking forward to test them out:D. LOS flying for now. Maybee some FPV later. Looks cool:cool:

a6581776-179-2014-03-10%2001.06.12%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Since you have serendipitously (I love that word :)) added that rounded protrusion at the 'tip of the bat wing' is make a very small notch on all four 'corners' about 1/4" back from the tip and secure the boom by wrapping the tips of the boom with a small (1/16"W) nylon tie. That would serve as stress relief during a crash, yet hold the boom in place. Hide the head of the tie in the lower rear corner so all that is seen is a clean thin band.

helinor

Yeah, I thought of that after our two last posts but thanks for pointing that out:D.

BTW, google translate couldnt find any word for "serendipitously" in Norwegian.....:confused:...;)

helinor

Mine is flying:D. Just got some hoovering done yesterday as it was quite windy....again... The build went well and now I need to strip it down again so that my son can paint it;). Will also be making an attachment for the battery.
It is a bit tail heavy so I moved the KK board as far back as I could. The COG is now about where the buttons on the board are.

Some pics
2014-03-23 14.14.24 (Medium).jpg 2014-03-23 14.14.37 (Medium).jpg 2014-03-23 14.14.49 (Medium).jpg
2014-03-23 14.14.57 (Medium).jpg 2014-03-23 14.15.07 (Medium).jpg