wooden power pack

Innaviation

During many crashes power packs can get beaten up very quickly. I was wondering if anyone has a laser printer file or something that matches ft power pack but that is made from wood.

mayan

Legendary member
During many crashes power packs can get beaten up very quickly. I was wondering if anyone has a laser printer file or something that matches ft power pack but that is made from wood.
I have seen them made for 3D printers if it helps? Also are you looking for the mini power pods or the big swapable power pod?

kdobson83

I always just glue 2 BBQ skewers butted up against the fire wall running along the bottom on the inside of the power pod. Use Bixler's method of wrapping it in some packing tape, and it'll be plenty sturdy.
The problem with wooden power pods is weight. Using light balsa wouldn't be any stronger than the Bixler method with some BBQ skewers. And the issue with 3d printing would be weight as well. Depending on the plastic you chose to print it with it could be brittle as well.

Anyway, there are things that you can do to the original power pod that will greatly increase strength without sacrificing too much weight.

Innaviation

I have a bloody wonder with a wooden power pack, that doesn't work with any other FT planes and weight doesn't seem to be an issue. Any thoughts on carbon fiber power pack

Brett_N

x2 and x3 for building a couple out of colorplast. You only need 1 sheet and I think you can get 3 or 4 from it.

Be careful if using Hot Glue (I don't advise) as it will run down the channels. Best luck I had was using original gorilla glue (the foaming stuff) and packing tape.

Spacefarer

You could do it like that one guy who made the 3d printed arrow pod (forgot who it was sorry) where you just print a lattice and then maybe add a support beam in the back to form a really solid box. If it worked for the arrow on the entire pod, I'm sure it will work for the swappable pod.

Bricks

Master member
You could do like we do on our glow and gassers, cut some foam rubber to fit around the battery glue some Velcro to it and run a rubber band around the battery and foam then install in plane.