Working up the nerve

Jpd424

I just wanted to stop and take the time to say hello, and thank you. I have been involved in different forms of RC for at least 20 years. I have alway wanted to learn to fly but could never work up the nerve to try. For the past month I have been watching flite test videos and listening to rc after hours podcast. You wouldn’t believe how surprised I was to find out both were located within a half hour of my home and work. I still haven’t worked up the nerve to throw a plane up in the air yet, but i took the first step and joined the AMA. Hopefully the wind will die down and the weather will warm up soon and I can take the next step in my rc journey. Your videos have inspired me to give flying a shot this summer. Please keep doing what you guys do, inspiring people.

Thank you,
Jason

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I just wanted to stop and take the time to say hello, and thank you. I have been involved in different forms of RC for at least 20 years. I have alway wanted to learn to fly but could never work up the nerve to try. For the past month I have been watching flite test videos and listening to rc after hours podcast. You wouldn’t believe how surprised I was to find out both were located within a half hour of my home and work. I still haven’t worked up the nerve to throw a plane up in the air yet, but i took the first step and joined the AMA. Hopefully the wind will die down and the weather will warm up soon and I can take the next step in my rc journey. Your videos have inspired me to give flying a shot this summer. Please keep doing what you guys do, inspiring people.

Thank you,
Jason
Welcome to the forum!
If you have any questions or issues in getting airborne feel free to raise it on the forum and a plethora of persons will dive in with advice and recommendations!

Have fun!

Mad_Mechanic

Welcome to the family!

I share your anxiety about rc flight and just like you it has taken the good people at Flite Test to show me how economically rc flight can be done.

I recently finished my first foam board plane and I'm looking forward to flying it when my health improves.

Good luck with your builds and my your flights be enjoyable!

slipshift

Welcome Jpd424. It's not easy but once you are able to keep your first plane in the air a lot (but not all) of your nervousness will turn into excitement. The chance of failure makes success all the sweeter.

Jim

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums
I highly recommend joining a local club and if possible have someone teach you to fly

kdobson83

What plane are you gonna fly first? Pictures? Start off with something easy like a Tiny Trainer or FT Flyer.

evranch

Welcome to the hobby.

That's a sturdy plane and good choice for a trainer. A friend of mine had one and it survived many crashes, the mid-pusher design lets you whack it into the ground without damaging much that matters.

Hope you get out flying soon! It's something else working up the nerve to fly for the first time. My advice would be just to accept that you are going to crash it, and you are going to glue it back together when you do. Not a big deal.

If you want to learn the controls and build some confidence, I would highly recommend PicaSim on your phone. It's free, and you can pull it out whenever you have a few minutes to kill and do some flying.

basslord1124

Master member
Welcome to the forums @Jpd424 . That plane that you have will work out very good to learn on. I say find you an instructor and/or an RC simulator and you'll be set.

As they said above, just accept it that crashes are going to happen. And when they do, laugh at it, brag about it if it was epic, try to learn what happened, repair it, and move on and try again. I just got back from a mini crash session. And when success happens. it'll all be worth it. Good luck! ;)

mayan

Legendary member
@Jpd424 welcome to the bigest most loving family on the internet. Need anything just ask and all of us will hoop in to help. The most important lesson I can teach you is build, fly, crash, repeat!