Solved Working with poster board

JohnHS

Hello, I am working with poster board for the first time on an FT racer. There is a shiny side and a dull side. Does anyone know which side should be on the outside? I would guess the shiny side, but I’m not sure how well spray paint adheres to the shiny side. Cheers!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
What board do you have? Most "poster board" is quite a bit heavier than the stuff the flight test designs are based on. It can be done but you have to factor the weight in during the build to prevent it from being too tail heavy.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Thats the WalMart brand isn't it? Some WalMart's actually carry the "Adams Ready Board" like the dollar stores do. Our local one does at least. If its got a shiny side I'm betting its probably 2x the weight of the dollar store foam board...

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Ummm. I think that @Hondo76251 is talking about foam board. For poster board I just use the side that I think looks better. I use mostly the shiny side and I have had no paint adhesion issues, but I’m not sure about the other side.

What board do you have? Most "poster board" is quite a bit heavier than the stuff the flight test designs are based on. It can be done but you have to factor the weight in during the build to prevent it from being too tail heavy.
Yeah I looked at the DT "poster board" a couple times (each time I was in there) thinking I would just get a sheet. Each time I wound up saying heck this is just a big sheet of cardstock. Wound up using a manila folder from a file cabinet instead. It's the same weight. But they have colors, if you want black or something, but the color's only on the surface, white shows on your edges.
...but it's just a dollar :)

Hello, I am working with poster board for the first time on an FT racer. There is a shiny side and a dull side. Does anyone know which side should be on the outside? I would guess the shiny side, but I’m not sure how well spray paint adheres to the shiny side. Cheers!
I would think it's your call. If there's a shiny side it might do a tiny bit better against moisture, maybe. One side might be shinier only because it's smoother - that was the "finish" side from the factory. Quality watercolor paper is that way. One side might take paint just a little bit better, but either side should be just fine. Seriously, don't sweat it.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Yeah, I see that, just buzzing through, kinda misread it. As far as the posterboard goes, it does actually have a "grain" to it when it comes to bending it. One way creases a lot more easily than the other... Shiny vs flat side, thats up to you...

JohnHS

Yeah, I see that, just buzzing through, kinda misread it. As far as the posterboard goes, it does actually have a "grain" to it when it comes to bending it. One way creases a lot more easily than the other... Shiny vs flat side, thats up to you...
Thanks!

JohnHS

Yeah I looked at the DT "poster board" a couple times (each time I was in there) thinking I would just get a sheet. Each time I wound up saying heck this is just a big sheet of cardstock. Wound up using a manila folder from a file cabinet instead. It's the same weight. But they have colors, if you want black or something, but the color's only on the surface, white shows on your edges.
...but it's just a dollar :)
That’s a great idea! Thanks!