World's Largest Foamy!?

JohnnyV

Looks like a great father-son project.... Has there been any real engineering done with this project? I'm really hoping it goes as planned for you. That center covering worries me. I think it should wrap around the leading edge of the wing. Look forward to your updates!

J

Abby Normal

Mentor
Looks like a great father-son project.... Has there been any real engineering done with this project? I'm really hoping it goes as planned for you. That center covering worries me. I think it should wrap around the leading edge of the wing. Look forward to your updates!

J

Don't worry about the window covering it has been tested at sustained 60 mph winds. We strapped the test section to the top of my car roof and went for a long ride......now thats real engineering:)

Abby Normal

Mentor
Mr. Abby, are you guys working your way up to a "full scale" human piloted foam plane?

What is the expected AUW? Are you still aiming for 55 lbs?

That would put this well under Part 103 rules... :D

No human piloted foam planes in the picture, not ever going there. We just like a challenge most of the time...all of the time.
AUW? my scale max's out at 55 lbs. enough said.

Abby Normal

Mentor
The DLE was acually our second choice, the first choice was going to be a belt reduction motor but this was less compicated at over twice the thrust. Hopefully we don't need the belt drive on this one.... If we did you would throw a 50+" prop.

earthsciteach

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT, TEAM ABBY NORMAL. NOW THAT I KNOW ALL ABOUT STRANGERS, I KNOW HOW TO BE SAFE. THAT IS WHY I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS. YOU ARE DEFINITELY STRANGER.

:D

Abby Normal

Mentor
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT, TEAM ABBY NORMAL. NOW THAT I KNOW ALL ABOUT STRANGERS, I KNOW HOW TO BE SAFE. THAT IS WHY I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS. YOU ARE DEFINITELY STRANGER.

:D

Didn't you ever wonder why we are called Team ABBY NORMAL??? Now you know, Life is too short for being normal.... But, dang we have a good time doing it!