World's Largest Foamy!?

Abby Normal

Mentor
That's my main sidekick! He is offically the designated Test Pilot of Team Abby Normal and my son both of which he excels at. My job is to create the unflyable and then he makes it return from a maiden to only needing adjustments vs. rebuilding. That truely makes us a team...

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Mentor
Awesome!
I
really
want
to
see
this
thing
fly!!!!!!

Me
TOO!
B]
I worry about this and that, but the heck with it!
It's better to have failed attempting than to have never attempted in the first place!
I never been one to follow the beaten path.
Team Abby!

Abby Normal

Mentor
You haven't tried making a scale version to check the handling?

Yes and everyone thats ever flew a cub, but there are quite a few differences that can't be the same when going to this scale. For exsample the power system won't scale up by weight. So I won't have that for c/g concideration. I am tring to build as large as possible and to keep the weight down as minimal as possible with that the design must be altered. So I know this won't be the sweetest flying plane out of the gate but all it needs to do is fly for one weekend and its creation will be worthy. Science and engineering concepts must be trusted, because following a proven plan is for sissys!

Pilot-294

is your wingspan wider than the Hodges B-29? i know yours is most likely one of the worlds largest scale foamies just wasn't sure if it was gonna be largest wingspan?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
is your wingspan wider than the Hodges B-29? i know yours is most likely one of the worlds largest scale foamies just wasn't sure if it was gonna be largest wingspan?

Just for reference:

The B-29 weighs in at 94 pounds and has a 16 foot wingspan.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
A guy just moved to my area and inquired at our club if our runway was long enough for is 18ft wingspan B-29!!!!

Abby Normal

Mentor
No I will not be painting the plane yellow, real men can fly pink planes. Besides it adds reality to it being mostly foam. As for the wingspan 25' plus. If you watch the last updat again take a close look at my son Eli. Eli is 6'6" tall. Look real close at where his chest lines up with the leading edge as he is standing next to the plane. 75% Scale....thats some crazy stuff right there.

Team Abby!

earthsciteach

When I saw SEXY, I was expecting you to be sprawled out on the wing. Ha ha ha...

Looks impressive! I'm pretty sure a person could fly in that. Not saying its a good idea - just a possibility.

Fishbonez

Looking good phellas.:applause:
Need to replace the gin and tonic with Sam Adams Light you will feel so much better:cool:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Mr. Abby, are you guys working your way up to a "full scale" human piloted foam plane?

What is the expected AUW? Are you still aiming for 55 lbs?

That would put this well under Part 103 rules... :D