WOT NEXT Aileron Trainer/sport plane

ViperTech

Well I found this plane on rcgroups by a guy named "how much" from the UK back in 2011, the thread is still active.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525812
I built the pane with DTFB and followed the build very closely. My only big change was the main wing where I went with a KFM2 and no spars. I also used a clothes iron ( my wonderful wife bought for me) to seal the edges of the foam, works great by the way! The length tip to tail 29", wing span 34" cord 8 1/8" rear wing 14" span cord 5 1/2"
I used a Hobby King Donkey ST2204 1550 KV with a 18 amp esc and a 7x4 prop. The plane is built for a 1000 Mah battery that balances it perfectly.
It is an amazing flying plane, my only thought on the maiden flight was WOW it is just amazing, I was speechless! I have 6 full flights on it, when you go to land it, it just floats in, you can roll it, flip it, invert it, loop it inside and outside, I think it will knife edge but I cant do that move yet!
I did a cruddy marker coloring job on it so I could tell which way was up! because the first time I flew it, it was all white and the sky was whitish grey, almost a big screw up there! Now I know which way is up with the color!
So sorry no video I don't have any one to shoot it and I ain't about to one hand this little slice of heaven to get video like I did my FT Speedster!

View attachment 22969
View attachment 22970
View attachment 22971
View attachment 22972

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
well you must be getting used to alierons and they aren't so bad are they.
I like the delta ray with it's elevons to get used to alierons and the differential thrust to get used to rudder. the delta blew away last week but I am buying another one this weekend. I still fly the drone and it has no damage to it .... just grass stains.
That looks like a quick build and very simple lines but still looks like a great plane.
I like your color scheme black and blue from taking a beating .... or red for bleeding :)
I need to color my wing tips up so I can better see them even on the delta as to hard to tell witch direction it is flying, I'm thinking lime green and bright orange on wing tips. Us old men need all the help we can get.

ViperTech

OH YEA lovin the ailerons Ron B, But I jinxed myself! I went out this morning at sun rise with my son to fly and the weather was beautiful, no wind, put the WOT up and it was flawless rolling and banking so I went into a fairly agressive loop "POP" my boy said " what was THAT!" I said "The wing just broke." and a very elegant lawn dart was made! burried the the prop and spinner in so deep the tail stood straight up in the air! OK so now I know it needs a spar! Well time to build again!

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
well the black and blue showed up
is it rebuildable or just build another one?
with new wing are you still going with the kf and just add the spar?

ViperTech

I will just rebuild it,fuse got some wrinkles in it, might be ok, but the firewall is split and not too sure about the motor yet. I like the KFM2 and will use it again but I will add a spar.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
When I saw the title of this post, I thought it was going to be along the lines of the WOT4 advanced acrobatic trainer by Chris Foss (designer of the famous Phase 6 acrobatic sloper and Middle Phase slope trainer). But this is a very nice little bird indeed, looks pretty easy to put togeather, and if it flies as well as you say... well then, I might just have to add it to my list!

Nice job!

ghost civic

kfm2 wing might work on a slow bird, but something that is acrobatic needs more strength. a kfm3 may work, but a spar is the only safe bet. sorry to hear about the crash.
It is a good looking plane, doesn't look hard to build either. if I get my funder & lightning finished I may try this design. I recently bought to of the donkey motors, but haven't tried them on anything yet.

ViperTech

and if it flies as well as you say... well then, I might just have to add it to my list!

Nice job!

Epitaph, for me to say it flies well , it has to be good because I am not! As a 45 year old auto mechanic my hands are really beat up and my fine smooth motor controls, well just are not smooth, I am very jerky on my movements, as I said in the first post I did not color or decorate it for the simple fact that it might just not survive the maiden! I have the FT-22 and can keep it air borne for a full battery just banking and turning and a loop or two but my boy has his with the same set up and is flying inverted 2 feet off the ground and rolling and flipping it all over the place and has only flow for about 2 months or so. Just to give you an idea of how good the plane has to be for me to fly it!

ViperTech

kfm2 wing might work on a slow bird, but something that is acrobatic needs more strength. a kfm3 may work, but a spar is the only safe bet. sorry to hear about the crash.
It is a good looking plane, doesn't look hard to build either. if I get my funder & lightning finished I may try this design. I recently bought to of the donkey motors, but haven't tried them on anything yet.

I still have a lot to learn on my builds and wing strengh has all ways been a concern of mine, so lesson learned! It is easy to build I built this one in 3 evenings so there will be more of these in my hanger!
The Donkeys have been excellent so far for me, I dont get into all the specs that people say about them, you know "well it should have 1 millon point 6 grams of thrust at 120050 volts but I only get 1 millon point 5.75, its junk with specs like that", All I know is they work well, are not expensive, and thats all I need!

ghost civic

I still have a lot to learn on my builds and wing strengh has all ways been a concern of mine, so lesson learned! It is easy to build I built this one in 3 evenings so there will be more of these in my hanger!
The Donkeys have been excellent so far for me, I dont get into all the specs that people say about them, you know "well it should have 1 millon point 6 grams of thrust at 120050 volts but I only get 1 millon point 5.75, its junk with specs like that", All I know is they work well, are not expensive, and thats all I need!
LOL, yeh motor specs can be confusing.
but these days we can get away with a lot, since brushless motors have much better power/weight than the old brushed. I am pretty sure that when brushed motors and nimh packs were the norm, scratch building a plane was harder to do. The more weight your plane carries and the less power it has, the more "picky" it will be about wing type/power to weight/structure strength ect. These days, we can slap a tiny brushless motor and small lipo on some cardboard and have something that will stay in the air.