Solved Would it be an upgrade going from DXS to FS-i6?

ThatCoolCoder

So I've been flying for about 2 years now using my Spektrum DXS but as my fleet grows I'm finding it to be somewhat limited. It sucks to retrim every time I switch plane and AFAIK it has no advanced features like expo. All of the Spektrum stuff seems really expensive compared to other brands, so if I had to buy a new transmitter then I'd probably jump ship. The only reason I started with Spektrum because the DXS was the cheapest transmitter at my LHS. I don't care about having to buy new receivers for a new protocol because I don't have many yet. (If I stay with Spektrum I plan to buy a bunch of lemon/orange rx's)

Recently I discovered the Flysky FS-i6 and was amazed by how many features it has for its price, such as an actual LCD and multiple model memory. However, it almost seems too cheap. Some people have said that the gimbals feel bad; if that's the case then I'm not interested. I don't want something that feels cheap, or is finicky, or doesn't have good customer support. I'd rather not buy something off a shady online store.

It would be ideal if someone has used both of these transmitters could give an answer, as really what I need is a direct comparison between them.

Alternatively, if someone knows of a mature, good quality transmitter for the same price as the DXS (< $120 USD) but with more features, I'd love to hear about it! Multi-protocol+open source radios also interest me so recommendations for those are welcome too.

EDIT: Thanks for all the answers so far. Currently I'm considering to buy a Radiomaster tx12 when I'm ready since I do have a bit of spare cash and it's only a little more pricey than the DXS (which I'll sell if the Radiomaster is good). I'll leave this thread unsolved for a couple more days though (maybe this edit will prompt some more answers).

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
If you want to stay with the Spektrum protocol you could go to the HobbyKing Orange TX6i or the TX10i. A little more expensive than a DXS but loads more features including a 20 model memory.
The only problem moving up to a more complex Tx is you have to master the bigger menu and remember where what you are after is!
Nothing wrong with the Lemon Rxs either.

ThatCoolCoder

If you want to stay with the Spektrum protocol you could go to the HobbyKing Orange TX6i or the TX10i. A little more expensive than a DXS but loads more features including a 20 model memory.
The only problem moving up to a more complex Tx is you have to master the bigger menu and remember where what you are after is!
Nothing wrong with the Lemon Rxs either.
Thanks for the quick reply! The orange TXs look seem decent (I didn't realise they were good enough for HobbyKing) but unfortunately they're all such an unpleasant shade of orange! I'll leave the thread open to see if i get some more perspectives.

luvmy40

Elite member
I have Zero experience with the DXS. I have the FSi6X and the RadioMaster TX16S running EdgeTX. I would say the Hall Effect gimbles in the TX16 feel better than the FSi6X gimbles, but I am no expert flyer, so that difference may not be any big deal. I have been told that the FSi6 gimbles lack resolution. IDK.

The TX16 is by far the more versatile radio, though the FSi6X has a lot of bang for the buck. I do see that with a little effort, the FSi6X can be flashed with OpenTX. I have no idea if the DXS can be loaded with OpenTX or EdgeTX.

Sorry, I realise this isn't realy an answer to your question.

ThatCoolCoder

I have Zero experience with the DXS. I have the FSi6X and the RadioMaster TX16S running EdgeTX. I would say the Hall Effect gimbles in the TX16 feel better than the FSi6X gimbles, but I am no expert flyer, so that difference may not be any big deal. I have been told that the FSi6 gimbles lack resolution. IDK.

The TX16 is by far the more versatile radio, though the FSi6X has a lot of bang for the buck. I do see that with a little effort, the FSi6X can be flashed with OpenTX. I have no idea if the DXS can be loaded with OpenTX or EdgeTX.

Sorry, I realise this isn't realy an answer to your question.

Yeah, the Radiomaster stuff looks really nice but unfortunately they're way above MSRP in my country. I also don't need 12/16 channels, so the discontinued tx8 would have been great if it was still around.

ThatCoolCoder

Well I ended up buying the tx12s multiprotocol version. I was considering buying the ELRS version but ELRS isn't really mature enough for fixed wing aircraft. I'll get an external module if ELRS ever does become the norm. It works great and actually cost slightly less than the my DXS originally did.