Would love to see a Taranis review or a whole bunch of radios

jordan

There has been lots of reviews on head to head with everything from fpv, to batteries and even different plane/multi rotor styles (y, v-tail, x) but not much on the different options of transmitters. I know its hard to change from one you love but I have a taranis and would love to see it and all its functions on the show!

MrClean

How do you do all the functions. I've downloaded a profile from my Efx Racer that has a timer on the throttle for launch so that it automatically restricts full throttle for the first 10 or so seconds so you don't torque roll the thing in. Landing functions that couple spoilerons (because it's floaty) and throttle (because if you're just about to land and need to go around full throttle will stick your left wingtip in the dirt) Just a whole bunch of automated stuff I don't understand and haven't used cuzz I haven't flown it in 6 months. I close on my house Monday, take possession Wednesday and hopefully get moved over and cleaned out hear by the 15th when I should get to think about my first flying date. Except last week we found out we have to go clear out my BIL's house because he drank himself into a stroke and will be spending the next 20 or so years in a nursing home, unless he gets lucky and passes instead.
So I get the feeling by the time I get around to flying this full featured radio again in something other then 6 channel mode you'll be able to speak commands to the thing and it will set them up automatically.

It's a heck of a radio for 200 bucks. But of course, if you have a 5000 dollar helicopter feel free to spend 1500 on a tx that might do the same functions IF they programmed it too.

More videos of what it can do would be nice. There are going to be computer geeks out there that will have it fetching a cold beverage for us before you know it.

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
Radio review plus 1 here.

There has been lots of reviews on head to head with everything from fpv, to batteries and even different plane/multi rotor styles (y, v-tail, x) but not much on the different options of transmitters. I know its hard to change from one you love but I have a taranis and would love to see it and all its functions on the show!

I agree, I have not seen a decent comparison review of tx and rx combos in some time. I can recall David being very vocal about the Aruora 9X but he was mainly focused on the ease of programming and led screen size. I started with Spectrum and plan on staying with them but now with FT selling Graupner's, a review would make a couple of episodes well worth watching. Maybe start with $ being the driving factor since the whole FT creed seems to cater to saving bucks for those tight on coinage? Thanks for starting this post! I'm all ears!

ZoomNBoom

I dont know if these guys have the time to really get a handle on a taranis just for a review/episode. As much as Id like to see it in a show, I fear they are not going to be able to spend enough time with it to really appreciate what it can do. Before reviewing it, you should probably spend at least a month with it on various planes.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
While we met in France last year, someone of the crew told me they have the Taranis in the shop, but nobody really got the time / energy to look into it. One reason being that they are so used to their Spektrums, it's hard to give a fair statement.

I was a little disappointed by that, especially since a lot of people here seem to have a Taranis or at least are running something with Open-TX.

They really took some time to test the Graupners before they added them to the store though. But they didn't do a review on them yet, did they? Besides the smaller mentions in between I mean.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Graupners are nice but frankly, the Taranis does all the Graupner does and more for much less money in the TX. Yes you need sensors to use either with more than the base telemetry, but for what you save by getting the Taranis, you can afford more of them.

ZoomNBoom

Graupners are nice but frankly, the Taranis does all the Graupner does and more for much less money in the TX. Yes you need sensors to use either with more than the base telemetry, but for what you save by getting the Taranis, you can afford more of them.

Not too mention the fact the graupner receivers and sensors are 2-3x more expensive than frsky's equivalents.

MrClean

You know what Taranis has going for it? Functionality of the expensive transmitters at a fraction of the cost with one of the leading 2.4Ghz systems. Garupner is just a different, lesser know, full price radio. It's not Jeti, it's not a 1500 dollar radio system. It's just another full price radio. I know they don't pimp for HK anymore but the HK line of cheap radios makes more sense to fly dollar foam models. I guess they just want to branch out of that little niche.

But Graupner? Why not just front for JR/Spektrum, Futaba or Hitec?

AeroMaestro

I've owned a Taranis for about 9 months and I've been extremely happy with my purchase.
This is the video that sold me on the Taranis. Once I saw the Taranis' build quality inside vs. the crap inside a Turnigy 9x, I started saving up for the Taranis.

...and part 2 of the review:

ZoomNBoom

Garupner is just a different, lesser know, full price radio.

Not sure about lesser known. Maybe if you're young or new to the hobby, but a few decades ago, there where basically three brands: robbe (aka futaba), multiplex and graupner.

But Graupner? Why not just front for JR/Spektrum, Futaba or Hitec?

To be fair, compared to hitec and futaba, the graupner gear appears reasonably priced with a good set of mid range features. I have no idea if the "new graupner" (they went bankrupt a few years ago, and name rights where purchased) has the same dedication to quality that the old graupner did, but if so, Id take it over spektrum any day. Heck, Id take it over spektrum anyway :p.

But the reason why they sell graupner and not something else, is probably more related to what they are allowed to sell.

Agent CAL

I'd love to see that too, the Taranis looks and sounds completely awesome, but I haven't seen it many places other than little snippets in Team Black Sheep, (and RCModel Reviews uses it, but in Flite Test and stuff)

Yeah, review for the Taranis!