Would these electronics be compatible; EDF help

Vimana89

Legendary member

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
They look ok, would definitely prefer the higher C battery. You might also look at a few other options. I’m personally not a fan of no-name ESCs. I use the HobbyWing Skywalker ESCs in a few of my EDFs and they have been problem free: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKXUV8U/?tag=lstir-20. I would also recommend a lighter EDF unit like the FMS unit: https://m.banggood.com/FMS-50mm-12-...ushless-Motor-p-1115809.html#popupStatedetail
The FMS also has a newer fan design, so you’ll see a bit more thrust from it as well.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Good call on the esc, I believe when I read what specs there were the alloy one actually weighed less, I believe it was listed at 65 grams and the FMS one is like 75. I'll double check. Either way, if the FMS is an all around better design with more thrust, I may go for that.

Chuppster

I had that Dr Mad Thrust EDF and I was not impressed. The FMS 4s one, however, is amazing.

Take a look at AliExpress or Banggood, the Skywalker ESCs are a lot cheaper and do pretty well in my book.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754H7XZZ/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URCLU7I/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.amazon.com/d/Rc-Toys-Ba...id=1543288732&sr=8-15&keywords=3s+2200mah+35c

I'm looking to run that 50mm EDF on a build I'm developing. Would that battery and esc work? It's hard to find exact specs and compatibility recommendations, and I'm not that well versed on these things...to me it looks like this would all be compatible. Thoughts? Recommendations? Anything I'm missing?
So your battery can safely supply 55 amps (2.2 x 25). Your ESC is 40 amp. Your EDF needs 18 amps on 3S. All looks good to me.

I agree with @Chuppster, this EDF does not produce a lot of thrust.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've used that EDF you showed and it has terrible thrust, the one F-106 delta dart showed works a lot better. You also might want to go with a 4s lipo battery.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Yeah I've already steered clear of the dr. not so mad thrust. I found specs it's got like half the thrust of the FMS ones. I stepped it up to a 64mm FMS edf unit specified for 3s with a 4100 KV motor. The price was right and it ships domestically. Using a 1600mah 45c 3s battery that was inexpensive and very highly rated.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I had that Dr Mad Thrust EDF and I was not impressed. The FMS 4s one, however, is amazing.

Take a look at AliExpress or Banggood, the Skywalker ESCs are a lot cheaper and do pretty well in my book.

I'm glad you spoke up. The Dr. Mad Thrust looks cool and I like that it's metal. I don't recall reading about complaints.

Vimana89

Legendary member
As far as scaling a custom plane around this, most of the products for sale and home builds using 64mm ducted fans have about at least a 700mm wingspan and at least that much length too. I'm building a slender delta with an aspect ratio a lot like an hp-115, so my wingspan at the widest is only going to be half or less my length. My current build parameters are only 280mm wide wingspan by 600mm legth, and it's looking like too much fan and not enough plane. Should I scale my airframe up, maybe to about 800mm length?

Vimana89

Legendary member
after doing a bit of research I think I'll definitely be scaling up larger, about 400mm on the wingspan and 900 on the length. The details on all that are probably best left in my other thread. Thank you to everyone who helped me with the questions regarding the electronics, every response was more than helpful.

Chuppster

after doing a bit of research I think I'll definitely be scaling up larger, about 400mm on the wingspan and 900 on the length. The details on all that are probably best left in my other thread. Thank you to everyone who helped me with the questions regarding the electronics, every response was more than helpful.

Really I think your biggest concern is your weight. Is your design heavier than the thrust your EDF can put out? Sizing the EDF to your airframe is very subjective, the biggest thing is power/weight ratio!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Really I think your biggest concern is your weight. Is your design heavier than the thrust your EDF can put out? Sizing the EDF to your airframe is very subjective, the biggest thing is power/weight ratio!
good call. It would be more than light enough at 280 by 600, but the slender shape has a high wing loading and the 64mm seems disproportionately bulky. At 400 by 900 or so, it would be more similar in size to most planes I see built around 64mm fans, but probably a bit smaller and lighter, as it is using no airfoil and has a very slender wing profile like this

Attachments

• IMG_0507.PNG
    IMG_0507.PNG
    290.4 KB · Views: 0

Chuppster

good call. It would be more than light enough at 280 by 600, but the slender shape has a high wing loading and the 64mm seems disproportionately bulky. At 400 by 900 or so, it would be more similar in size to most planes I see built around 64mm fans, but probably a bit smaller and lighter, as it is using no airfoil and has a very slender wing profile like this

I'm an advocate of "bigger flies better". The thing is, the bigger your airplane the more expensive it is and the more room you need to land. So I typically build things as big as I can afford!

Smaller does crash better for the most part.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Good advice. This is somewhat of a budget build as much as it can be. I don't want it huge, but I want it to perform well and have decent flight characteristics. I think 400 width by 900mm length would be quite manageable. That's about three feet long, but less than two feet wingspan at the widest. I don't know what the smallest builds people get away with on a 64mm fan are, but I know most of what I see out there has at least a 600-700mm wingspan and a length of at least 800mm, some up to like 1200mm(but some larger builds are twin engine). The wingspan to fuselage ratio is obviously going to translate differently, as my wing profile has a much lower aspect ratio than most of the standard fare, except homebuild hp-115s and concords.