X-100 Infinity Wing

qwijibo

I finally got my latest project off the back-burner and finished, it's a 3D Printed X-100 Infinity Wing - https://www.3daeroventures.com

It printed without any real trouble, looks great and went together well using medium CA and kicker. It's 100% PLA, although they say it can be printed in LW-PLA for a lighter plane. I've never used LW-PLA, but might give it a try in the future, though I'm concerned it might be more fragile and heat sensitive. Anyone have any experience with it?

I installed a 'E-Flite Power 15' motor with a 12x8 prop, but with a 3S 2200 pack, predicted flight times were literally 2-3 minutes. I took it for a test flight anyway, and found it to be way nose heavy...it took full elevator to barely climb. Since then I've swapped it out for a 'Leopard 3536-7T' (1100) motor, which is lighter than the Power 15, and I added metal gear servos to the back. With those 2 changes, I think the CG should be better, although I could always add a bit to the tail if necessary. I also increased elevator throws by 50%. With a smaller 11x6 prop I'll get slightly less thrust, but it'll increase flight time by a couple minutes. I think it should be OK, the predicted thrust-to-weight is 1.25

2021-03-25 19.32.58.jpg

2021-03-25 19.33.13.jpg

jpot1

Elite member
I’ve been watching the v2 version of this. Definitely try LW-PLA, takes a little to get it dialed in but the result is really nice. Texture is almost like balsa and it actually sands nicely. Fuse of the BD-5 is all LW-PLA. Any video?

03589C5F-6081-4839-B832-D17192C14477.jpeg

qwijibo

I’ve been watching the v2 version of this. Definitely try LW-PLA, takes a little to get it dialed in but the result is really nice. Texture is almost like balsa and it actually sands nicely. Fuse of the BD-5 is all LW-PLA. Any video?

View attachment 196284

That BD-5 looks great! Maybe I'll pickup some LW-PLA next month and give it a shot. I hear good things overall, so definitely worth a try.