X mount for FT radial 1806. And FT radial 2205. Brushless motor Help!

Soren wolff

Very new to the hobby of RC electric light. I live in Northern California about two hours from the Flighttest Chico CA, store.
I purchased all my equipment to do my first build transmitter,Receiver, ESC, servos and a brushless motors listed above in thread.
Being extremely ignorant to the hobby I did not know to ask for motor mounts. Nevertheless I need some now.
I am having an extremely hard time finding mounts for theses motors. Is it Because these motors are for Quads? Did not want quad
motors. Regardless I am desperately looking for “X” style mount for theses motors. For airplane build. I can make my own from 1/32 or 1/16 ply
but I don’t know if that will be strong enough. Or if I have to get different motors for and RC airplane.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Welcome to the hobby! The motor screws will come in from the back like this:
8E7DCB0B-0C28-4446-B561-9094242DA50A.jpeg

You can make a firewall out of many things like wood, 3D printing, or even gift cards. You can also buy them on the FT store here:
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-mighty-mini-firewalls-5-flt-2033/p674243
It looks like it is out of stock so making one will probably be the best option. You can find a template on any of the FT mighty mini free plans.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Very new to the hobby of RC electric light. I live in Northern California about two hours from the Flighttest Chico CA, store.
I purchased all my equipment to do my first build transmitter,Receiver, ESC, servos and a brushless motors listed above in thread.
Being extremely ignorant to the hobby I did not know to ask for motor mounts. Nevertheless I need some now.
I am having an extremely hard time finding mounts for theses motors. Is it Because these motors are for Quads? Did not want quad
motors. Regardless I am desperately looking for “X” style mount for theses motors. For airplane build. I can make my own from 1/32 or 1/16 ply
but I don’t know if that will be strong enough. Or if I have to get different motors for and RC airplane.

you can sandwich a few gift cards together or other similar materials to fab one up

Soren wolff

Welcome to the hobby! The motor screws will come in from the back like this:
View attachment 169472
You can make a firewall out of many things like wood, 3D printing, or even gift cards. You can also buy them on the FT store here:
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-mighty-mini-firewalls-5-flt-2033/p674243
It looks like it is out of stock so making one will probably be the best option. You can find a template on any of the FT mighty mini free plans.

Outstanding thank you, photo helps a lot. Is there even an X mount for these motors at all? Or is there no such thing, or one just has to mount from back of firewall. Problem is, for what I’m going to build firewall is fixed so I can mount engine initially, but one glued and covered, I can never get it back off,Because I won’t have access to the back of the firewall once built. hence me needing an X amount. I have the skill to make an X amount, no problem making template from back of the motor, just wondering if 1/32 ply is good enough to make an X mount and then mount that plywood X onto fire wall. If there is an X mount for FT radials, might you have a part number so I can order when back in stock. Thanks again for the reply, really appreciate it!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Outstanding thank you, photo helps a lot. Is there even an X mount for these motors at all? Or is there no such thing, or one just has to mount from back of firewall. Problem is, for what I’m going to build firewall is fixed so I can mount engine initially, but one glued and covered, I can never get it back off,Because I won’t have access to the back of the firewall once built. hence me needing an X amount. I have the skill to make an X amount, no problem making template from back of the motor, just wondering if 1/32 ply is good enough to make an X mount and then mount that plywood X onto fire wall. If there is an X mount for FT radials, might you have a part number so I can order when back in stock. Thanks again for the reply, really appreciate it!
I'm not aware of a separate X mount available for these motors, although I do believe that the x mount that is included in this motor would work, although you would need to use a larger firewall. Making an X mount would work, although I would recommend making it out of aluminum. The firewalls that FT sells are made out of 3/32 plywood, so if you made three out of the 1/32 plywood and glued them together using epoxy, it should be strong enough.

Soren wolff

Did you ever send out those motor mounts? I know you’re doing me a huge favor, but I’m just curious if it ever happened