X-Wing ...Will it Fly?

• Yes

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Decided to try my hand at something different. If nothing else it is a great conversation piece. It's ready for the maiden voyage ( or crash). A lot of speculation on CG, needing a Canard, or rudder, or both. What do you think? Will it fly??? :D

X wing Fighter 2.jpg
X wing Fighter 1.jpg

Crazy Goats

How will it be powered? I cant tell fro the pictures. I think if you put the motor hanging way out in the back, and put the battery inbetween the wings (on the cg) you might not need canards.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
It is a pusher with the propeller right behind the rear of the fuselage. Battery is inside the back of the fuselage . And yes, I will be taking video ( multiple ) :)

matjey

Seeing on the surface of the flat wings, it is hard for me to say that it will fly. It's great design tho. I like the effort.

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
It will probably fly about as far as you throw it. I've built a couple of these things with varied success. The best flyers have a solid rudder and canards. If your worried about looks just use some clear plastic sheets (they sell 3mm sheets at most hobby stores), or make the rudder and canards removable (for display). I think it looks fantastic, unfortunately these thing are not going to fly unless you follow the basic principles that guide all aircraft design. Good luck!

AndyP57

I'm afraid apart from attaching a helium balloon to the nose I can't see any way of getting the CG anywhere near a flying configuration. Without Canards you have to treat it as a flying wing (Biplane!) and as such it will be v. tricky

HilldaFlyer

Sure it will fly! Do rockets fly? Well, if the answer is yes, then that is the trajectory that will work, gravity aligned with the flight direction - up. Get it up to mock 3 and it will fly regardless of the CG. This I've got to see:p

Level flight will require balancing on the surface of lift. Is the motor attached in the photos? If not, I suggest using a 8 cm (or so) motor mount to get the weight way back. Sure it will look unreal, but it will fly, if the CG is placed properly.

Crow929

Like my grandpa used to say... "with enough thrust, ANYTHING will fly"
So I voted yes.
Will it fly conventionally? My guess is no. :)

bitogre

I have seen some very odd shapes fly so I think you can get anything to fly if you get the CG correct. As for canards, I think they theoretically are not needed but practically speaking, you may want them to move the CG forward (creating space for battery) and to give you a larger margin of error for getting the CG right. But that is purely a guess on my part.

Keno

If mine flew so will yours. I see your avatar is a bipe remember that the bipe requires separation between the top and bottom wings to prevent them from interfering with each other. When I designed mine I was quite concerned about this issue. I have seen here on the thread discussions on a arrow thought. The more I review this it is not a bad idea. Therefore my thoughts are this; An arrow requires to propelled by a toss (bow provides this) and the flites (sp) on tail provides its stability in flight. The more flites the more stable. However on a powered arrow you would need lift to keep it in flight. Wings could provide this but their position on the arrow requires thought. If your wings do not provide sufficient lift and the CG is improbably placed I believe you know the answer. I have really enjoyed your efforts and I encourage you to continue. I now am in the process of building another X Scoter Bipe to do more evaluation. Also see if I can get some to video of it in flight. If you research out Bill Evans on the internet on this Simitars it would provide you with some back ground on this type of aircraft. Dang, learning curve, however it does keeps the mine active. You are welcome to anything on the X Scoter Bipe I would love it to be taken further in design. To see its design improved/changed to represent something would be a great pleasure to self. Have a great day and good fortune to you.