X5C-1 Motor Performance - Related to Battery?

TheSymaMan

Hi, I'm new to FliteTest forums, I joined regarding my X5C-1. So today I noticed I am having to push the throttle far too much just to get it about 6 feet off the ground, today I ALSO noticed that my stock 500 MAH battery took very long to charge.

So my question is, does battery strenght have to do with motor performance? Basically, if my battery's life is getting smaller and weaker, does the motor get affected? If I add a 700 MAH 35c, will the motors perform better?

Appreciate the answer, I just don't wanna know that my X5C-1 is gonna give up on me 4th week of ownership, I take good care of it, no hard crashes. NOTE : I have done a Range mod on it, and have a 700 MAH 35C heading to my house.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi SymaMan welcome to the forum! It sounds like your battery is starting to go bad. Have you been using it conservatively, not draining it too much, and not overcharging it. If not, then the battery health will deteriorate over time. Another possibility is that the included battery is cheap and has died too quickly.

The reason you aren't getting the same performance is because the battery is starting to struggle to supply the current required to fly the quad. As batteries age or get damaged, the internal resistance increases, and supplying higher values for amps becomes difficult. Your motors have nothing to do with it (unless your problem actually resides within the motors). A 700mAh 35c battery should help, but only because it is new and I would guess that the C rating of 35 is higher than the stock battery. That means the new battery will be able to give the amps you need without sagging in power.

TheSymaMan

Hi SymaMan welcome to the forum! It sounds like your battery is starting to go bad. Have you been using it conservatively, not draining it too much, and not overcharging it. If not, then the battery health will deteriorate over time. Another possibility is that the included battery is cheap and has died too quickly.

The reason you aren't getting the same performance is because the battery is starting to struggle to supply the current required to fly the quad. As batteries age or get damaged, the internal resistance increases, and supplying higher values for amps becomes difficult. Your motors have nothing to do with it (unless your problem actually resides within the motors). A 700mAh 35c battery should help, but only because it is new and I would guess that the C rating of 35 is higher than the stock battery. That means the new battery will be able to give the amps you need without sagging in power.

Thanks so much for the reply! Extremely relieving, I was worried.

And, I drain it almost every use, and fly it almost every day, I use the stock charger so I'm not sure if I can really overcharge it.

I wanted to add something though, my propellers move at equal speed but in 2 pairs, 1 pair moves at an equal speed, the other pair does too, but it doesn't move equally to the other pair, only to it's own pair, you get what I mean?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I wanted to add something though, my propellers move at equal speed but in 2 pairs, 1 pair moves at an equal speed, the other pair does too, but it doesn't move equally to the other pair, only to it's own pair, you get what I mean?

I get what you mean. Which pairs do it (front pair and back, left and right, or diagonal), and are the implications? Is it causing any wacky flying characteristics. The blade speed of each motor on a quad is constantly changing to stabilize and move the machine.

TheSymaMan

I get what you mean. Which pairs do it (front pair and back, left and right, or diagonal), and are the implications? Is it causing any wacky flying characteristics. The blade speed of each motor on a quad is constantly changing to stabilize and move the machine.

No wackiness in the sky, it is as stable as new.

The pairs are Rear Left and Front right, and Rear Right and Front Left.

The stop timing gap is about 1 second between the 2 pairs, but they cut the throttle at the same time, they stop at a different time.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Should be fine. Opposite pairs of props spinning at different speeds is used to control yaw so that is probably what it is doing.

jipp

also with brushed motors, they do wear out so over time even with a new battery you will lose lift ( im noticing this effect on my Blade nano qx, on my second set of motors already, did a rebuild couple of months ago . laughs.. probably will need to order 5 more battery's for christmas.. a christmas rebuild i think.. i sure enjoy the nano tho. something to keep a eye on after you have tons of battery's run through your quad.. and welcome to the forum.

chris.

TheSymaMan

Thank you all so !much for the help! It seemed to have been performing better after I removed a bunch of hair from the props, the motors run fine and everything

Really appreciated the help, will come back for more questions! :D

jipp

yeah man... hair, fur, carpet, lint.. will make your quad not fly very well or at all sometimes no lift.. :)

i need some more props for the nano qx.. but man they are kind of spendy... im to cheap to spend 6.00 on a set of 4, they are so little and use maybe a bottle cap size of plastic for a set of 4. LOL. seems like a rip off. id rather buy new motors, or even a FC if i had too over props. and they know it so they make sure to charge ya top $$ for the darn things.. heh. im to cheap to spend 6.00 for a plastic body either.. so i found a template i just print out on my printer.. and im good to go.. :D