XA (3D) with Foam Board Design Challenge

Jonny Gum

Elite member
So my current test platform (a 43" dtfb profile) has a wing area of 361 inches squared and a weight of 1.6 pounds, giving it a WCL of 6.4

I have only flown it twice, but from what I have so far, it flew very well. It could do no-names and blenders pretty well, as well as rolling harriers. Like I said, I've only flown it twice, so there is more testing to be done. Next time I fly it I'll throw it around a lot harder.

I am planning to make a master series-ish fuselage with landing gear, which will add a little bit of weight, giving a little higher WCL. As long as the auw is below 1.87 pounds on the current 43" wing, the WCL will be below 7.5.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I started the brainstorming process on the Pitts model 12 (mamba/beast) today. There are several complex parts regarding the design/build but I have some ideas on how to pull it off. I know lots of you hate the edge and think it's overbuilt, but I'm going to use the same style of inner fuselage structure for the model 12. As far as wing loading and stuff goes, I think I'll be very close to the stock flex mamba 10 specs, so it should hopefully perform very similarly.

chris398mx

Master member
I started the brainstorming process on the Pitts model 12 (mamba/beast) today. There are several complex parts regarding the design/build but I have some ideas on how to pull it off. I know lots of you hate the edge and think it's overbuilt, but I'm going to use the same style of inner fuselage structure for the model 12. As far as wing loading and stuff goes, I think I'll be very close to the stock flex mamba 10 specs, so it should hopefully perform very similarly.
What will the wing span be? I may try to build it when you have the plans done. Was there anything you think i should have tried to change on my Mini Mamba you built or did you think it flew OK?

Jonny Gum

Elite member
The Model twelve needs to have some curves! The two wings should give a fairly light wing loading and I would suggest using plywood struts to hold the upper wing on.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
What will the wing span be? I may try to build it when you have the plans done. Was there anything you think i should have tried to change on my Mini Mamba you built or did you think it flew OK?
I’m going to go for the same size as the mamba 10 and use the 3536 rimfire. When I built your mini mamba I didn’t really have much 3D experience but from going back and watch info my flight videos it seemed kinda small for a C pack... It was a blast to fly though! If you wanted to gear it more toward XA then I might upscale it a little bit or maybe downscale and run it on an F pack. You know, that would be a great entry for this challenge!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The Model twelve needs to have some curves! The two wings should give a fairly light wing loading and I would suggest using plywood struts to hold the upper wing on.
Yes - the top will be molded and so will the cowl, but notice that in the back it’s flat and has faces before it transitions to the curvy too section. Plywood struts will definitly be the way to go.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
The edge just has too many formers and andres used longerons basically to tie them together. My mini ultimate uses the same internal structure and should be fairly light

Jonny Gum

Elite member
I'm going to get my test design flying today to see how it feels. WCL is 6.5 on a 43" wingspan, running the C pack Radial motor on 4s. I'm thinking that I may add a few inches to the wing and make my ailerons a little bit smaller for later versions.

Any thoughts on what the first master series fuselage should be? I'm debating between a slick, extra, and gamebird.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm going to get my test design flying today to see how it feels. WCL is 6.5 on a 43" wingspan, running the C pack Radial motor on 4s. I'm thinking that I may add a few inches to the wing and make my ailerons a little bit smaller for later versions.

Any thoughts on what the first master series fuselage should be? I'm debating between a slick, extra, and gamebird.
Do a slick!