XA (3D) with Foam Board Design Challenge

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Ladies and gentlemen, I have a plane that just might work. It looks perfect so far. Very light, very strong, and very good looking (from whats built so far). It'll get its maiden at flitefest. Can't wait to test it and find the limit of foamboard...
im very excited i cant wait to see what you came up with

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Got the first flight in, and it’s looking promising! The plane is an MX2, rocking the ft monster radial on 6s with a 60” wingspan.

Currently she flies very scale, so I’ll be bumping up my throws for 3D/XA. I’m having trouble with landing gear strength and build simplicity. This version can never be released because most parts are not exactly repeatable.

Honestly, I don’t really think 60” is the best size for a diy xa airplane. I have some ideas for smaller 48” series airplanes, or even a spin on the timber x.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jonny Gum

Elite member
(Yes its very ugly)
D3957474-B5EB-4F0C-8E53-10C86B19D4B9.jpeg
4B4CB08E-F15E-4173-B394-60BC73AFB816.jpeg
5DFB882F-A961-415E-8A0E-815F374CC6FE.jpeg

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Got the first flight in, and it’s looking promising! The plane is an MX2, rocking the ft monster radial on 6s with a 60” wingspan.

Currently she flies very scale, so I’ll be bumping up my throws for 3D/XA. I’m having trouble with landing gear strength and build simplicity. This version can never be released because most parts are not exactly repeatable.

Honestly, I don’t really think 60” is the best size for a diy xa airplane. I have some ideas for smaller 48” series airplanes, or even a spin on the timber x.

Any thoughts appreciated.
48in And a 2418 on 4s would be the most reasonable. maybe 52 inch wing span might be a litte better because of the slightly bigger size. Im not ”great” 3d pilot so my input is purely theroretical .

Jonny Gum

Elite member
48in And a 2418 on 4s would be the most reasonable. maybe 52 inch wing span might be a litte better because of the slightly bigger size. Im not ”great” 3d pilot so my input is purely theroretical .
I agree. I think the smallest I can reasonably go is 48”. Check out any extreme flight planes of the same size, and they fly great. Smaller is better when building with foamboard. A 2814 motor would be perfect on 4s with a 12x6 prop. Just need to find some fast but economical servos.

Jonny Gum

Elite member
These emax 14.8g digital metal gear servos are only $12.50 a pop, with all 5 star reviews, some claiming to run them in 48" size 3d planes. They are very fast for running on 5v. Looks like a good option to me. LINK

The TMotor AS 2814 900kv is the most reasonable option coming in at $34. (LINK)

Finally the TMotor AT40a esc should be perfect at $16. The 5v 3a bec can support our 4 servos. (LINK)

Match with a 4s 2200mah battery and a 12x6 prop. Might as well throw in some tmotor 12x6 props for $4 a piece.

For example:
4 Servos - $50
Motor - $34
ESC - $16
3 Props - $12
Shipping- $15 ish

Roughly $130 plus whatever battery you choose or already have. Not bad at all for a 3d plane of this size.

Oh and all the work hours that goes into designing/building.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Thanks for the link for the servos I have been looking at an ef 48in and have everything but servos lol hitecs were a little pricey but I didn’t want to skip out on a nice plane. I will for sure be building a foamie of comparable size before putting them on anything “nice”.