Xanders first flight

bracesport

Legendary member
Funny story - today dawned a beauty for flying and my wife suggested I should go fly - I have had a chuck glider at the ready for a week or so, so this looked to be the opportunity to get my son Xander back in the air!

I wasn't quite prepared to fly today, so I grabbed the 'flykit' and threw the TT in the car, and off we went - when we arrived I realised I had not packed the battery, so while the family mucked around, I went home and picked it up - Nina and Xander were still kicking a ball around when I got back, so I put the battery on charge, and prepped the Camera and set up the Rx - then I realised I had left the ESC at home - I packed it in to go throw the chuck glider with the family!

Nina commented after a success or two with the chuck glider that she could see why I am exhilarated when I keep the plane in the air!

IMG_6388.JPG
IMG_6398.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
Funny story - today dawned a beauty for flying and my wife suggested I should go fly - I have had a chuck glider at the ready for a week or so, so this looked to be the opportunity to get my son Xander back in the air!

I wasn't quite prepared to fly today, so I grabbed the 'flykit' and threw the TT in the car, and off we went - when we arrived I realised I had not packed the battery, so while the family mucked around, I went home and picked it up - Nina and Xander were still kicking a ball around when I got back, so I put the battery on charge, and prepped the Camera and set up the Rx - then I realised I had left the ESC at home - I packed it in to go throw the chuck glider with the family!

Nina commented after a success or two with the chuck glider that she could see why I am exhilarated when I keep the plane in the air!

View attachment 131609 View attachment 131610
Nice man. I see Nina is happy with her success. Xander is really improving, you should do the two channel TT glider. About forgetting stuff at home happened to me a lot until I figured it out ;), but still happens :(. Keep up the good work.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
They did pretty good, @bracesport! Pretty soon they'll be able to launch your TT for you! :D

Funny story here, as well. A couple flying sessions ago I forgot the batteries at home. I didn't catch it until we got to the field and I was getting a plane ready to fly. It's a 30 minute drive to our flying field, so that little mishap cost us over an hour of flying time! Doh!

mayan

Legendary member
They did pretty good, @bracesport! Pretty soon they'll be able to launch your TT for you! :D

Funny story here, as well. A couple flying sessions ago I forgot the batteries at home. I didn't catch it until we got to the field and I was getting a plane ready to fly. It's a 30 minute drive to our flying field, so that little mishap cost us over an hour of flying time! Doh!
Same here.

bracesport

Legendary member
I am going to go with the ‘firefox’ as it is a tad bigger with a 60cm wing and I am going to go with ailerons and elevator - luckily there is a ball bearing in the nose so that will allow me to add some weight up front.

I started off by marking the current CG which is about 50% of the wing - it does float well, but tends to nose up with a power launch, so maybe it could take a bit more weight up front?

B48F09C5-696C-45CA-84F5-FA4ABBBE1BE6.jpeg
7865474A-96EB-43DF-BFA1-BDF0EBBAC505.jpeg
3FCA39E6-3B2A-4AF1-8A5B-557D24F4AB12.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
Today is the day to finish this baby with ailerons and elevator. Xander is only five and a half so I will throw it and he can steer! It has a 60cm wing and I brought the CG forward to 30% of the wing. It is such a small plane the servos look huge!

867ADAC0-F266-4725-90AD-1FF39C363AD5.jpeg
82417DA9-EE10-4F9F-BE27-8ADD72676496.jpeg
3600F66F-0A56-4517-B918-36872A0CED01.jpeg
E6DB0F6E-19F2-4C1D-8803-B3373A8767A7.jpeg

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
it's more fun to watch the antics of Xander then to watch the plane fly. I love seeing him throw it then duck, he's preparing for powered flight. lol

bracesport

Legendary member
we had a few minutes between a wind change from south to north and so we whipped to the park - actually the little glider can fly quite well, even going inverted (possibly by accident) - Xander had a go on the sticks and had some fun - we damaged the BEC on one impact so that was that for the day!

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 2.48.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 2.49.09 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
We are on holiday in korea and my wife and son went ahead of me after school was out for the year - Xander bought me a gift - a Korean kit set glider - wow - these kits are great - old school bamboo and paper wings - now we have to decide on building or not, as transport back to NZ will not be easy!

750mm wingspan!

EF063A47-A3C0-4001-AA63-32089F554EC3.jpeg
C813FC78-D287-4348-BA5D-DC89D559BB3E.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
We put a few parts together but have decided to finish the build in NZ - it will just get smashed on the plane!

For $10 this is an amazing kit (I can't say amazing 'little' kit because it is not so small)! The wing spars are metal pressings and the joins are metal tubes. We have made the main wing section (I couldn't help myself) as we can pack it into a box - Xander trimmed the main spars and we used CA to join the parts with the best accuracy we could - I will need to research how to glue the paper onto the wing (I wonder if you need to wet it to shrink it slightly)?!

We are really looking forward to finishing it and Xander wants the first throw! :D

Might have to get another one before we leave!

IMG_8223.JPG
IMG_8224.JPG
IMG_8225.JPG
IMG_8226.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
We put a few parts together but have decided to finish the build in NZ - it will just get smashed on the plane!

For $10 this is an amazing kit (I can't say amazing 'little' kit because it is not so small)! The wing spars are metal pressings and the joins are metal tubes. We have made the main wing section (I couldn't help myself) as we can pack it into a box - Xander trimmed the main spars and we used CA to join the parts with the best accuracy we could - I will need to research how to glue the paper onto the wing (I wonder if you need to wet it to shrink it slightly)?!

We are really looking forward to finishing it and Xander wants the first throw! :D

Might have to get another one before we leave!

View attachment 151784 View attachment 151785 View attachment 151786 View attachment 151787
That looks so cool and Xander waiting to do the first throw is very logical. I am so happy for you that he is actually building it with you I couldn't get Jonathan to build with me yet like I'd want him too.