XB-70 Valkyrie: FT Style

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Taxi test!!!

Huge thanks to my family for their endurance and patience on this project, AND for helping me on this test; Wifey carried the nose, batteries and Tx out (and recorded video), and Sonny carried the wingtips. Also continued thanks to Flite Test for their support of my crazy project; it wouldn't be possible without them either.

I'd like to do a video overview of the jet, but I don't always know what's interesting to you all watching/following. I'd appreciate it if you would reply below with questions you have and I'll do my best to answer as many as possible in a video this week.

Thanks!

Corsair015

CORSAIRSFOREVER
How much throttle where you using at max for those taxi tests? Looks like it wouldn't need much to start rolling...

epsilon

1. What color scheme(s) are you considering?
2. What are your plans for when you will Maiden flight, and will that be live?
3. How much runway do you think it'll need for take off?
4. I'd love to see some information on splitting up the power and flight control systems and how that's all wired.

It looks absolutely amazing man! Really inspiring me to take the plunge at some point and get into development myself. I'm still a bit of a noob though so all in stride.

epsilon

1. What color scheme(s) are you considering?
2. What are your plans for when you will Maiden flight, and will that be live?
3. How much runway do you think it'll need for take off?
4. I'd love to see some information on splitting up the power and flight control systems and how that's all wired.

It looks absolutely amazing man! Really inspiring me to take the plunge at some point and get into development myself. I'm still a bit of a noob though so all in stride.

jperry

what was challenging?
what was easy?
if you did a Mk2 what would you do?
would love to see exactly how the wing tips were done

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
From what Ben's shared I think it's going to be the prototypical white/black test colors, and it needs something like 300 feet of runway to lift off.

Another question, is the chute in yet? Also, are you going for the scale 3 chutes, or 1 big one?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice Q&A Ben. Hope you can get airborne in 300 feet or less, that's about the length of the goretex runways at FF (unless we are at a site like the one in Florida).

DamoRC

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Meh, the one at FFE this past year was 900'... they just put all 3 end to end... which was nice for the Bugatti's very long approach. I ALMOST nailed that landing. :black_eyed: Tricycle gear will make things very easy to track on a narrower runway. Couple this with Ben's exemplar piloting skills... I have no worries.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks willsonman! We had 2 separate 300ft runways (beginner and "not beginner") at FFW last year but I think the consensus is that we won't be at Vallejo this year.

DamoRC

Sotm

Ben what is the AUP ready to fly weight of this Valkryie? Also what is the total battery count and of each type?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ben what is the AUP ready to fly weight of this Valkryie? Also what is the total battery count and of each type?

Last weight check came in around 24lbs, but I'm going to do another weigh-in tomorrow since I painted today.

Oh yeah, that's right, I painted today! But before I get to that, here is a bunch of build pics showing how the wing went on and how the nose came together...

Wingtip servo layout
IMG_5942.jpg

Wing Root servo layout
IMG_5944.jpg

GUTS
IMG_5959.jpg

Canard
IMG_5966.jpg

Vertical Tails
IMG_5987.jpg

First wing half join
IMG_5988.jpg

Belly
IMG_5996.jpg

IMG_5997.jpg IMG_5999.jpg IMG_6002.jpg IMG_6006.jpg IMG_6007.jpg IMG_6008.jpg IMG_6010.jpg IMG_6011.jpg

(next post will have paint)