XC-142 TILT WING (best angle)

L Edge

Master member
VTOL has kicked my butt (gaining now) and I always look at a new and different way to fly. So watch the video and let the VTOL stuff go by and watch the STOL
Notice the ground effects on landing with the sand giving a good demo.

So let's take one part from my VTOL boneyard and STOL(e) it .

First thing you should notice is the XC-142 fuse is always horizontal. Didn't want to do it by Flight Controller so decided to use a Guardian gyro that will powered by the RX only and set up to keep the elevator in the rear horizontal at all times. So at no time will there be any input from the tx stick.

Explaining what happens with the wing fixed at 30 degrees.

Vector analysis shows the total thrust can be devided into 2 components where the vertical component is 1/2 of the total thrust must equal the weight of the plane in steady flight.
The thrust horizontal component (.866 of total thrust)is translated into forward speed and needs a minimum value to keep the plane moving forward in the air in steady flight.
Now, what is going to happen as the plane makes a turn in regards to flow across the wings?

FLYING STYLE:
1) To keep the fuse horizontal by gyro, added 2" of additional elevator movement on transport. (note that fwd flight needs to be maintain from takoff to wheels down)
2) Used differential thrust for rudder.
3) Aileron throw was increased.
4) I cheated with another old school elevon system which added some improved turns and some change in elevation without throttle change.

So think about it now, the throttle becomes a BIG part in flying forward and moving up/down. Both hands have to constantly move and adjust and readjust all the time.

L Edge

Master member
First time, not enough elevator to keep it horizontal in rear, so enlargen it.
First attempt, will do more runs to get a feel and then decide to what to do.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Found the wing to be floppy and locked it down(used strips) at the fuse. Actually angle is 33 degrees. Interesting flying. W@ill work off and on to see what happens.

Last edited: