XF-18 Super Hornet - Twin 70mm EDF Jet - Build Pics & Plans

Millikart

Thanks! Its my favorite! Got it into the 100 mph club today!!!!
20210808_135009.jpg

Matthew Knotts

Hey, does anyone have plans for a two seater canopy?? I tried just extending the one seater but as you can tell it ended up looking pretty bad. I also have no idea of how to design one so I ran out of ideas. I’ve made a Bounty Hunters model and the idea of a one seater just bothers me. I am looking for something like John Overstreet’s design.
DB2983AB-B433-4017-94EA-826CF748E5AD.jpeg

Attachments

• 74C3EA1B-4A88-4CE3-A287-215F7DEECC2B.jpeg
    74C3EA1B-4A88-4CE3-A287-215F7DEECC2B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Michael9865

Elite member
Hey, does anyone have plans for a two seater canopy?? I tried just extending the one seater but as you can tell it ended up looking pretty bad. I also have no idea of how to design one so I ran out of ideas. I’ve made a Bounty Hunters model and the idea of a one seater just bothers me. I am looking for something like John Overstreet’s design.

Is that LT Ping and LCDR Ball?

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I have a question. Does this jet require landing gear, or is it hand launchable? I’d prefer for it to have hand launch capabilities, but I understand if it absolutely must have landing gear.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
You can hand launch it, I’ve seen Ben do it in his videos.
Ok, thanks! Yeah he put gear on his Blue Angel, so I thought that it was too heavy to hand launch. Just watched his other video though, and apparently it’s possible on 4s. This’ll probably be my next project after my F-16XL, which is taking WAY longer than what I initially anticipated. There is absolutely no wing information, so I’ve contacted scale model companies to try to get the proper measurements.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
@Mid7night , do you happen to have the .stl files for the retract mounts? I am seriously considering doing your Blue Angels build and having those would be very helpful.
I’m not trying to dissuade you from using retracts by any means. I just wanted to point out that this jet can be hand launched with 2 70mm EDFs running on 4s. If you use 6s, then you would need retracts. The benefit of making it hand launch capable and running on 4s is that the cost is significantly cheaper. Now, if you have the necessary items already laying around, then it won’t cost you anything to include it in your build.

Matthew Knotts

I’m not trying to dissuade you from using retracts by any means. I just wanted to point out that this jet can be hand launched with 2 70mm EDFs running on 4s. If you use 6s, then you would need retracts. The benefit of making it hand launch capable and running on 4s is that the cost is significantly cheaper. Now, if you have the necessary items already laying around, then it won’t cost you anything to include it in your build.
Yeah I've actually already built a hand launch one, but I guess I just don't like hand launching, especially a jet this big. All I will need are the 6s fans and a battery, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Yeah I've actually already built a hand launch one, but I guess I just don't like hand launching, especially a jet this big. All I will need are the 6s fans and a battery, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Well, I wish you good luck! Since you’ll be using gear, I recommend adding flaps to assist in rotation, since F-18’s main gear (center of rotation) are positioned way back from the center of lift, so adding flaps will make shorter takeoffs possible and allow it to rotate much easier.

Matthew Knotts

Well, I wish you good luck! Since you’ll be using gear, I recommend adding flaps to assist in rotation, since F-18’s main gear (center of rotation) are positioned way back from the center of lift, so adding flaps will make shorter takeoffs possible and allow it to rotate much easier.
Thank you! I will definitely take that into account.