XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

kilroy07

Legendary member
Do you know anyone who could do this for me on the forums?
Yea... (Sigh) I know a guy... ;)

Try these out.

Red = cut through
Yellow = 50% cut
Green = Mark/Reference
Cyan = Laser limits

Attachments

• SmLaz Viper 1.dxf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • SmLaz Viper 2.dxf
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • SmLaz Viper 3.dxf
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • SmLaz Viper 4.dxf
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • SmLaz Viper 5.dxf
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • SmLaz Viper 6.dxf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

IcedStorm777

Try these out.

Red = cut through
Yellow = 50% cut
Green = Mark/Reference
Cyan = Laser limits

Thank you so much. Can i just transfer the info from QCAD directly to the laser printer or...
You don't know how much i appreciate this as without it I would have to get used to a whole new software. Thank You!!!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Told ya my second build would be better....

IMG_7434.JPG

Wing rails are from @Namactual 's Dat Rhino; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dat-rhino.36276/
I scaled them up 150% to fit the viper.

Masks for the scale(ish) markings were cut out on my Cricut. If you have one (or know someone who does) here's a link to my shared projects; https://design.cricut.com/#/profile/5a74fe136e682c6701f3b824

Back in the day, Springfield had a squadron of Air National Guard F-16s based here... So I paid homage to them.
IMG_7436.JPG

You can't really see it in the photos, but the canopy was painted blue then a layer of "interference" gold. To try and simulate the F-16 canopy's gold sheen. Turned out okay... Probably would have been better if I airbrushed it...

kilroy07

Legendary member
One thing I did do that worked out pretty good was to add two "stress lines" (50% cuts) on the fuselage part right under the canopy (that "tricky" part....) seemed to smooth the transition from nose to intake rather nicely (even for me!)

Ben, you might want to try this out and add to Ver.1.1
(there was also an additional line on the top of this piece, possibility for wrap around, but it's missing from other side?)

Here's some photos to show what I mean;
IMG_7423[1].JPG
CAD Mod.png

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Kilroy, I've added similar lines to my next version as well, I just haven't uploaded or tested them yet. Thank you for the feedback!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Told ya my second build would be better....

View attachment 114409

Wing rails are from @Namactual 's Dat Rhino; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dat-rhino.36276/
I scaled them up 150% to fit the viper.

Masks for the scale(ish) markings were cut out on my Cricut. If you have one (or know someone who does) here's a link to my shared projects; https://design.cricut.com/#/profile/5a74fe136e682c6701f3b824

Back in the day, Springfield had a squadron of Air National Guard F-16s based here... So I paid homage to them.
View attachment 114408

You can't really see it in the photos, but the canopy was painted blue then a layer of "interference" gold. To try and simulate the F-16 canopy's gold sheen. Turned out okay... Probably would have been better if I airbrushed it...

That looks TOTALLY AMAZING! Well done on the paint man! I can't wait to see video of it in the air. :D

JTarmstr

Elite member
I am sorry to bug about this, but is there any chance there are tiled plans? I live really far from a UPS store where I could print up full size plans and can only print tiled.

IcedStorm777

Try these out.

Red = cut through
Yellow = 50% cut
Green = Mark/Reference
Cyan = Laser limits

So for the laser cutter plans do you just remember where the green is or do you etch the green? If you do cut what percent?

thanks!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I use the laser to mark.
I am happy to share my numbers, BUT be advised, these are for my 60 watt and software (RDWorks V8) setup...
Your millage WILL vary!

Red = Cut through. Speed 80 (could be a %, could be MM/sec, I don't recall...) Power 20 (this IS percent)
Yellow = 50% cut. Speed 100 Power 15
Green = Mark. Speed 100 Power 12
Cyan = Frame (keeps everything scaled at 100%) DO NOT CUT. Well, I guess you could, but I don't.

Each sheet is run TWICE. This helps with the foam melting back and creating huge undercuts (you will see some, but not nearly as bad if you tried to run the cuts in one pass...) You can see by the power percentages, the laser is MORE than capiable of doing it in one shot.

Most CO2 laser are analog systems, so even if you had the exact machine I do, your numbers still might vary a bit (and don't get me started on all the little things like focus and lining up the laser path, etc, etc...) :rolleyes:

Have fun, be safe, take your time and get with someone familiar with the hardware and software to help you get YOUR numbers established (plan on at LEAST one sheet as a sacrificial offering to the laser gods...) :ROFLMAO:

IcedStorm777

I use the laser to mark.
I am happy to share my numbers, BUT be advised, these are for my 60 watt and software (RDWorks V8) setup...
Your millage WILL vary!

Red = Cut through. Speed 80 (could be a %, could be MM/sec, I don't recall...) Power 20 (this IS percent)
Yellow = 50% cut. Speed 100 Power 15
Green = Mark. Speed 100 Power 12
Cyan = Frame (keeps everything scaled at 100%) DO NOT CUT. Well, I guess you could, but I don't.

Each sheet is run TWICE. This helps with the foam melting back and creating huge undercuts (you will see some, but not nearly as bad if you tried to run the cuts in one pass...) You can see by the power percentages, the laser is MORE than capiable of doing it in one shot.

Most CO2 laser are analog systems, so even if you had the exact machine I do, your numbers still might vary a bit (and don't get me started on all the little things like focus and lining up the laser path, etc, etc...) :rolleyes:

Have fun, be safe, take your time and get with someone familiar with the hardware and software to help you get YOUR numbers established (plan on at LEAST one sheet as a sacrificial offering to the laser gods...) :ROFLMAO:

Ok thank you so much. I just got "cleared" to use the machine at the library and am planning on doing some calibrating cuts.

IcedStorm777

Do you cut with the paper on or off?

I am having difficulty because i can cut through the foam just fine but i can't find the right mix of speed and power for cutting 50% through.