XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

kilroy07

Legendary member
Does anyone know how i could put a smoke system in this plane?
I wonder... maybe a light (very light) oil in a smokeless cigarette (vaporizer)??

I'm just throwing this out there as I really don't have an idea how they work other than heating up a solution... Have to buy one and crack it open to find out maybe... I have started seeing replacement coils for these online now if you just wanted to kit-bash something...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I wonder... maybe a light (very light) oil in a smokeless cigarette (vaporizer)??

I'm just throwing this out there as I really don't have an idea how they work other than heating up a solution... Have to buy one and crack it open to find out maybe... I have started seeing replacement coils for these online now if you just wanted to kit-bash something...

This was actually one of the solutions I had considered a while ago, and it may well be quite workable, but the main problem is weight. They are heavy, and use rather large batteries for what they do. I still think there is merit to the idea, I just mean it's not a slam-dunk.

As for the program I use, it's called MOI3D. If you're looking to get into design, I would recommend checking out Fusion360. It's free to try, and free to use for students and hobbyists.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor

That is basically what this unit from MrRCSound does. https://www.motionrc.com/products/mrrcsound-smoke-system-for-electric-rc-planes

It works but I've heard mixed results. You can watch the videos. It is better than no smoke, but it isn't anything compared to what you can do with a gasser. I've seen others just strap smoke bombs to a plane and that works for a few minutes too... of course you may set your plane on fire :)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
UPDATE: I've uploaded a new version of the plans to the first post, and also submitted the plans to the main "Resources" section. Current version is "b4".

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/xf-viper-foamboard-f-16-edf.47/

Main change: Added a few more score-cut lines on the "Forebody" piece to allow it to be shaped better over the inlet section.

A few other little things, nothing major, but if you haven't started your build it's worth downloading the latest version.

Dutch56

Last edited:

jakexie6

This was actually one of the solutions I had considered a while ago, and it may well be quite workable, but the main problem is weight. They are heavy, and use rather large batteries for what they do. I still think there is merit to the idea, I just mean it's not a slam-dunk.

As for the program I use, it's called MOI3D. If you're looking to get into design, I would recommend checking out Fusion360. It's free to try, and free to use for students and hobbyists.
Good to know! Then how do you transfer the 3d model to the 2d plans that we have now? I've been messing with Fusion 360 for a while now but could never see how I could design a DTFB plane with it.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I honestly don't know the process in Fusion360. I've just heard good things about it, and it's free. :)

Regardless, you have to 'unfold' the model and flatten it into curves, draw the fold/crease lines you want, then export to a PDF or DXF.

jakexie6

I honestly don't know the process in Fusion360. I've just heard good things about it, and it's free. :)

Regardless, you have to 'unfold' the model and flatten it into curves, draw the fold/crease lines you want, then export to a PDF or DXF.
Thanks for the info! I'll be looking to see if there's a way to "unfold" in Fusion 360 whether if it's a plug in or a hidden feature of some sort. Awesome job on all your designs by the way, all of them look fantastic! 👍

Jorge Pi

Thanks for the info! I'll be looking to see if there's a way to "unfold" in Fusion 360 whether if it's a plug in or a hidden feature of some sort. Awesome job on all your designs by the way, all of them look fantastic! 👍

If you found something to "unfold" in Fusion 360 please let us know.

kilroy07

Legendary member
My inspiration...
IMG_7577.JPG

kilroy07

Legendary member
How did you make a skin like that?
Not a skin, all rattle can (spray paint) but the tail graphics (which are just printed on paper and modgepodged on.)

I first sprayed the light primer down then made masks from painters tape on my cricut for the insignia and warning triangle, covered that with the darker grey and then removed the masks.

Should have probably brought the curve separation between the light/dark grey a little forward just behind the canopy, but it's good enough for government work.

We lost our National Guard "Fly boys" years ago...
Now there's just an engine maintenance unit here in Springfield. I miss hearing the Falcons roar overhead on "drill weekends"!

Marshall_S

Sorry, it took a little longer than I expected to finish this bad boy. With everything minus the battery it weighs in at 705 gm or 24.85 oz. This does however include a Dr. MadThrust Three Color LED Afterburner system. I've got one these on my Viggen and it really adds some realism to the whole jet. If it maidens well, I will be painting it with a Thunderbird scheme which will add a slight bit more weight. F-16_03.jpg F-16_02.jpg

Jorge Pi

This is a very simple 3D Printed Canopy. For easy of print it is also divided in two pieces. I can share the Fusion360 file if somebody wants to me make modifications or improvements.

Attachments

• Foto 22-09-18 9 31 58.jpg
    Foto 22-09-18 9 31 58.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Canopy.stl
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Canopy1.stl
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Canopy2.stl
    810.2 KB · Views: 0