XK A1200 Powered Glider 5.8g FPV RTF RC airplane review!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
SCORE!!!!!!!

Thats not the typical toy grade take one and do a video of it freebie. Will be interesting to know about the FPV system.. It says 1080p which is not I am sure the FPV definition. If it is It will be interesting to see the lag at that high resolution as real HD transmission is still in very early stage development.

The picture on Amazon is kind of deceiving showing a radio AND fpv monitor when it is only the plane. But that is why I said SCORE as the price kinda says it may be a half way decent plane. Will wait and see what you say about it and how the videos turn out. If you can get footage of the FPV image AND the HD image to show the difference.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
SCORE!!!!!!!

Thats not the typical toy grade take one and do a video of it freebie. Will be interesting to know about the FPV system.. It says 1080p which is not I am sure the FPV definition. If it is It will be interesting to see the lag at that high resolution as real HD transmission is still in very early stage development.

The picture on Amazon is kind of deceiving showing a radio AND fpv monitor when it is only the plane. But that is why I said SCORE as the price kinda says it may be a half way decent plane. Will wait and see what you say about it and how the videos turn out. If you can get footage of the FPV image AND the HD image to show the difference.

The FPV system is actually really nice! There is not much lag at all as far as I can tell with the tests I have done.

It is RTF. It does come with the transmitter and FPV monitor, that is why it is $299. You can get a version with out the fpv stuff which is only $150. You get everything you need to fly right in the box. It also has a gyro, great for beginners.

I am not sure if I can record the FPV image AND the HD image. There is an SD card slot on the plane itself(for the HD image) but there is not one on the monitor. It's 5.8G so you could probably connect it with some goggles or some sort of recorder.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
ahh so then the written description is off. To me when you read the what you get only says the aircraft and the components in the aircraft. Still not too bad. sound like its using something like the runcam split to handle the video stuff.

Enjoy the flight time looking forward to see both video capabilities.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I got some pictures! I'm going to try to fly it on Monday morning.

Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• DSCN6645.jpg
    DSCN6645.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6643.jpg
    DSCN6643.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6636.jpg
    DSCN6636.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6635.jpg
    DSCN6635.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6646.jpg
    DSCN6646.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6644.jpg
    DSCN6644.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6638.jpg
    DSCN6638.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6637.jpg
    DSCN6637.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6633.jpg
    DSCN6633.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 0

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
ahh so then the written description is off. To me when you read the what you get only says the aircraft and the components in the aircraft. Still not too bad. sound like its using something like the runcam split to handle the video stuff.

Enjoy the flight time looking forward to see both video capabilities.

Yeah, the description is off a little bit.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not bad kit for the money. I would however suggest you change out that dipole antenna on the plane for something like an AXII stubby other wise you may have poor video range and reception if you go too far.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Not bad kit for the money. I would however suggest you change out that dipole antenna on the plane for something like an AXII stubby other wise you may have poor video range and reception if you go too far.

Ok, I will look in to a AXII stubby antenna. It says in the user manual that it has a 800 - 1000 meter range. What is the average range of an FPV setup? Is 800 - 1000 meters an average range?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There are a lot of variables in FPV. Starting with power of the transmitters down to reflections off of objects.

200mw with good matching antennas can easily do that range. On the other hand at 600 mw with a dipole antenna on both tx and rx you may not get half that range. The trick to maximizing FPV is mostly in the antennas for the best bang for the buck stability.

I fly 100 mw on my Gremlin with a dipole antenna on the VTX and a AXII and freebie dipole on my goggles and can go pretty far as long as there is nothing between me and the quad. Same with my 5 inchers. I have a mix n match with one quad using a dipole and another using the AXII stubby. At 200 mw I see no difference because I dont go any further then broken body can walk without having to sit or lay down for a bit hehe.

Using a matched pair of Axii antennas one on the plane one on the goggles on 200 mw you can easily pass any distance you could see with just your eyes. You probably could go further then you want to do the walk of shame if you crash. It all depends on what you want to do, where you want to go, and whether you follow the rules and laws burdening the hobby. Anyways a matched pair of CP antennas no matter what brand or style will better serve you for safer flying then the freebie dipoles on a plane.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
There are a lot of variables in FPV. Starting with power of the transmitters down to reflections off of objects.

200mw with good matching antennas can easily do that range. On the other hand at 600 mw with a dipole antenna on both tx and rx you may not get half that range. The trick to maximizing FPV is mostly in the antennas for the best bang for the buck stability.

I fly 100 mw on my Gremlin with a dipole antenna on the VTX and a AXII and freebie dipole on my goggles and can go pretty far as long as there is nothing between me and the quad. Same with my 5 inchers. I have a mix n match with one quad using a dipole and another using the AXII stubby. At 200 mw I see no difference because I dont go any further then broken body can walk without having to sit or lay down for a bit hehe.

Using a matched pair of Axii antennas one on the plane one on the goggles on 200 mw you can easily pass any distance you could see with just your eyes. You probably could go further then you want to do the walk of shame if you crash. It all depends on what you want to do, where you want to go, and whether you follow the rules and laws burdening the hobby. Anyways a matched pair of CP antennas no matter what brand or style will better serve you for safer flying then the freebie dipoles on a plane.

Thanks for all the info! I don't understand everything you are saying as this is my first FPV plane. Maybe you could give me a link to a good antenna? Sorry, I don't know ANYTHING about FPV.

Also, Do you recommend I get a set of goggles instead of using the 3" x 4" monitor that came with it?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
These served me well when I started FPV for a long time. Until I started flying gates with my quads I had no problems but after I was ripping them apart catching them on the gates. They act like a tail hook of a carrier based plane hehe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirec...46268582078704&widgetName=sp_atf&tag=lstir-20

after I traded up to these..

https://www.racedayquads.com/collections/rhcp-antennas/products/axii-stub-antenna-by-lumenier-rhcp

With this on my goggles.

https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...-8ghz-long-range-90-sma-antenna-rhcp-and-lhcp

Goggle recomendations are tough.. Prices head size brands... too many choices. I did my research and was not into fatsharks at all. I ended up trying skyzones and have been exteremly happy with them. I recently replaced my first pair as all the connectors have worn out from over 3 years of use on them. I bought these and am even more happy

https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...one-sky02c-diversity-5-8ghz-fpv-goggles-white

This is what I see when I fly with those antennas and goggles. the video is even better in the goggles and would be even more clear after I refocus the camera lens again during my yearly break down the entire quad and clean it winter maintenance.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
These served me well when I started FPV for a long time. Until I started flying gates with my quads I had no problems but after I was ripping them apart catching them on the gates. They act like a tail hook of a carrier based plane hehe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A018413913PYG3XR1VWV1&url=/Crazepony-Antenna-Protective-Covering-Multicopter/dp/B01N9QM409/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=38YTEG6HPPGJ4&keywords=aomway+antenna&qid=1577114667&sprefix=Aomway+%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&qualifier=1577114667&id=8746268582078704&widgetName=sp_atf&tag=lstir-20

after I traded up to these..

https://www.racedayquads.com/collections/rhcp-antennas/products/axii-stub-antenna-by-lumenier-rhcp

With this on my goggles.

https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...-8ghz-long-range-90-sma-antenna-rhcp-and-lhcp

Goggle recomendations are tough.. Prices head size brands... too many choices. I did my research and was not into fatsharks at all. I ended up trying skyzones and have been exteremly happy with them. I recently replaced my first pair as all the connectors have worn out from over 3 years of use on them. I bought these and am even more happy

https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...one-sky02c-diversity-5-8ghz-fpv-goggles-white

This is what I see when I fly with those antennas and goggles. the video is even better in the goggles and would be even more clear after I refocus the camera lens again during my yearly break down the entire quad and clean it winter maintenance.

Thanks for the info! All of that look really good but wow is it expensive!

I went flying this morning and flew the A1200. I couldn't see anything with the 4" display. The sun was part of the problem.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not really expensive at all. The goggles are less then 2 moths cable bill for most people and you get far more enjoyment for that money I think. The antennas are half what people spend each month on video games.. again more entertaining in my book.

But as I said everyones ideas what they want to do and what they are willing to do vary. I made the choice to go with good well known reliable gear over cheaper who knows what will happen stuff. Rather be flying then adding to repairs or waiting for parts to arrive.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Not really expensive at all. The goggles are less then 2 moths cable bill for most people and you get far more enjoyment for that money I think. The antennas are half what people spend each month on video games.. again more entertaining in my book.

But as I said everyones ideas what they want to do and what they are willing to do vary. I made the choice to go with good well known reliable gear over cheaper who knows what will happen stuff. Rather be flying then adding to repairs or waiting for parts to arrive.

That's true! I'm 14 though and I don't have $300 just lying around waiting to be spent.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nothing says ya gotta get it all at once. I buy my stuff 20 to 50 dollars at a time while I am squirreling away the money for things like goggles.

Best thing about being your age is you can go out raking leaves or shoveling snow or cutting grass for hobby money and ya dont have to pay taxes so you can keep it all. Thast how I supported my hobbies as a kid. I was a workin fool when I wasnt involved in sports activities.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Nothing says ya gotta get it all at once. I buy my stuff 20 to 50 dollars at a time while I am squirreling away the money for things like goggles.

Best thing about being your age is you can go out raking leaves or shoveling snow or cutting grass for hobby money and ya dont have to pay taxes so you can keep it all. Thast how I supported my hobbies as a kid. I was a workin fool when I wasnt involved in sports activities.

Again, that's true! I do have some jobs around the neighborhood although I am trying to save up to buy a car(Only 1 1/2 years until I am 16!) so I have a very limited budget.