XL FT Explorer

ValenPasto1

9/3/17. Hi! Im building a FT explorer with 2m wings! It is my first time here on FT forums and my first time modifying an airplane. The reason I am doing it is because a longer wing provides more lift and more lift would let me carry more weight, FPV gear and mainly, batteries. How am I doing it? I've printed the plans and cutted almost every part normaly: the parts I modified are both wings and the wing spars. I taped the wing on the foam and drew the lines a bit longer, 23cm longer to be more precise. Im going to add a carbon fiber spar to the wing and think how to modify the wing spars included in the plans to fit the CF spar. I'll leave some pictures and will update the thread parallel to my progress. Hope you like it, bye!
10/3/17. Hi forums again! Today I built the FT Explorer fuselage, I'll leave some pictures. Maybe tomorrow I'll be building the wing, I don't know. I found the wing spar is a foam folded with a "C" fold, so it is exactly 10mm long. I bought a 10mmX10mmX1m carbon fiber spar to reinforce the wing. Each wing would be: the first 50cm flat (because of the spar) and where the spar ends the wing would rise with a certain angle which I didn't find out yet. In the pics you can se the plane with the wings, but they are only folded through the leading edge just to see the proportions. Hope you like it! I'll keep the post up to date. Bye! Valen
PD: im having trouble uploding some images, I'll check this tomorrow because im very tired..
11/3/17. Can somebody please help me? If done a lot of work today and finished the wing completely, I wanna upload some pics to explane how to do it and I can't!

Attachments

• IMG_9925.JPG
    IMG_9925.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9953.JPG
    IMG_9953.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9954.JPG
    IMG_9954.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9955.JPG
    IMG_9955.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9956.JPG
    IMG_9956.JPG
  • IMG_9958.JPG
    IMG_9958.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When building the wing you may wish to ensure that the ailerons are not too flexible, (perhaps a bit of CF strip reinforcing) and that the wing is not too weak to resist twisting forces, (caused by wind gusts and aileron action), if the wing can twist and the ailerons are not rigid enough you could end up with control reversal under high aerodynamic loads and the result could be fatal.

I am not saying it will happen but just something to be aware of!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Sounds interesing and fun. Thank you for sharing and please keep us in the loop. Could you tell us us more about yourself?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

ValenPasto1

Sounds interesing and fun. Thank you for sharing and please keep us in the loop. Could you tell us us more about yourself?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Hi Jim! My name is Valentin Pastoriza and Im from Argentina. Im 14 and I've been flying rc for three years. My main passion is FPV, I fly quads, but mainly fixed wing aircrafts. I allways flew FPV on 5.8 ghz, my intention is to get used to this explorer, if it flyes, and to move to 1.3ghz and uhf gradually. Ill keep the post upgraded. Bye
Valen

ValenPasto1

When building the wing you may wish to ensure that the ailerons are not too flexible, (perhaps a bit of CF strip reinforcing) and that the wing is not too weak to resist twisting forces, (caused by wind gusts and aileron action), if the wing can twist and the ailerons are not rigid enough you could end up with control reversal under high aerodynamic loads and the result could be fatal.

I am not saying it will happen but just something to be aware of!

Thank you very much! Thats something I forgot!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hi Jim! My name is Valentin Pastoriza and Im from Argentina. Im 14 and I've been flying rc for three years. My main passion is FPV, I fly quads, but mainly fixed wing aircrafts. I allways flew FPV on 5.8 ghz, my intention is to get used to this explorer, if it flyes, and to move to 1.3ghz and uhf gradually. Ill keep the post upgraded. Bye
Valen
Muchas gracias Valen. Siempre un gusto conocer los del forum.