XM+ loss of signal

stachio90

Hello,

I was recently doing the first quick test flight of my drone and got a little carried away with it given that I didn't have any of the GPS or video setup so I wasn't planning on flying it outside of my yard. But, the power was too enticing and next thing I know the wind had carried my drone about a quarter mile away. Suddenly it dropped straight down (cut power) and it is lost forever. I am curious if when a receiver loses signal if it unarms the drone or if someone may have shot it down? New to all this and want to know how drones should react in this scenario on default settings.

Hardware:
FrSky XM+ SBUS Mini Receiver
Xilo Stax F4 Flight Controller
DALRC Rocket 45A 3-6s BLHeli_32 4-in-1 ESC

Thank you!

FDS

Elite member
1/4 mile is more than far enough without total line of sight for 2.4ghz to drop out of signal and failsafe.
If you set your failsafe to drop on Betaflight and “no pulses” on the TX then it will have disarmed and fallen out the sky. If not it tried to go to the moon. Failure to properly set failsafe is VERY BAD PRACTICE and you should properly learn how to set your quad up before considering trying again.
This is why test flights should only be hovers or LOS in a big open space where you “walk the dog” by staying 40 ft behind the quad.
The minute control is lost you should disarm, it’s easier and safer to recover your quad that way. I lost a 5” because my video cut out and I didn’t do that one simple thing.
It’s an expensive lesson.
You may also have broken a ton of laws and put people’s safety and property at risk. Please educate yourself and fly more safely or find another hobby.

stachio90

1/4 mile is more than far enough without total line of sight for 2.4ghz to drop out of signal and failsafe.
This is why test flights should only be hovers or LOS in a big open space where you “walk the dog” by staying 40 ft behind the quad.
The minute control is lost you should disarm, it’s easier and safer to recover your quad that way. I lost a 5” because my video cut out and I didn’t do that one simple thing.
It’s an expensive lesson.
Thanks for the reply! Lesson learned