Yak-1 Custom Foamie

QSDragon

Hello everyone! The FT war-birds inspired me to try creating my own from scratch. I built the ft tiny trainer to re-teach myself to fly (last time was when I was 10, now I'm 25) and once I was confident in my abilities I set off.

Why the yak-1? mostly because I think we don't have enough people flying Russian planes nowadays. The yak family combined can make a solid argument for being one of the most produced fighter aircraft of wwii. The yak-1 was also home to the worlds deadliest woman ace, which at the time I was using to try and get my wife interested in the project.

I didn't get many build pictures, but the wing must have gone through at least 4 different versions before the one I am using now, which will likely be changed again. This is the first completed wing, weighted with a battery so I could test it by spinning really fast in a circle... I learned that spinning makes you dizzy, and the wing chord was far to large.

20160420_180402.jpg

After that I re-did the wing, slowly whittling the chord and testing it with a makeshift tail strapped on so I could lightly glide it (much more useful test). I settled on a wing and came up with this fuselage.

20160716_061546.jpg

Notice anything off? yeah it didn't fly to well, very tail heavy and the control surfaces much to small.

20160718_040244.jpg

Better, actually pretty good. It needs flaperons to handle slow flying, but it stays airborne and handles ok-ish. Well enough that I consider my first scratch build a success!

20160720_072421.jpg
20160720_072442.jpg
20160720_072505.jpg

Those pics were taken back in July. Plane still flies, maybe I'll get someone to help me film it for you guys.
For reference I am using the Power Pod A, and a 2s battery. This is more than a little under-powered for this airframe, but might be kinda close to scale :p I would suggest a 3s and maybe a slightly bigger motor for optimum performance.
Once I get the time i will be digitizing my templates and I will upload them for you guys to try. I will also be doing a re-build with more pictures over the winter.

QSDragon

Thanks Tobias, as it is now I'm re-designing the wings and building a new one from scratch. One to many nose dives made the fuselage really crooked, it was still flying when I retired it though. I'll have posts of the re-design up with plans when I get around to it :)

Tobias Keller

:D Thats one of the reasons why I love working with epp because it is (in my opinion) stronger and less deformabel by harder hits.
Keep it up:applause: