Yak 54

bearit

Actually turns out nmine is the 30”. I don’t know how well it will work though with a f pack motor. I’m probably gonna have to make it with a single sheet of paperless foam. I don’t know how long it’ll last, but I’m hopping it’s going to fly good!
i found I don't like it it makes the phone too flimsy and then if you use a bunch of uh packing tape on it it makes it too heavy

OliverW

Legendary member
Actually turns out nmine is the 30”. I don’t know how well it will work though with a f pack motor. I’m probably gonna have to make it with a single sheet of paperless foam. I don’t know how long it’ll last, but I’m hopping it’s going to fly good!
It will have plenty of power as long as you're running 3s with a smaller battery

Zim11911

well started on the mark 2 version. With the change out of the prop the mark 1 flys well and can hover. With out the fuselage skins it is only 4 sheets of foam. skins should be one more sheet

Attachments

• 0D10ED0E-391C-4B7F-984E-27F88D95EFBB.jpeg
    0D10ED0E-391C-4B7F-984E-27F88D95EFBB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Zim11911

Any updates?
Yes there are several updates I have currently updated all the files for the yak version two it is going together with roughly a 30% reduction In weight. I am planning on using a power 25 motor as well as a 2200 mA 4s for the version 2 where I can get close to a 10 minute flight time. I have done several tests with the Mark one version to identify what issues were there most of it could be associated to weight I have modified the wing design slightly Improve the stall characteristics. I will try to spend some time this week to add the fuselage skin drawings to the sketch up file.

Last edited:

Zim11911

Attach the Landing gear and motor for mockup and measurements for the front cowling. With the two side by side you can see the Changes to the air frame to be a little more accurate to the actual aircraft. In my first version I had made errors in calculating the circumference of the interior circles for the air frame now with the coverings it should come out to the right measurements. I had a tri bladed prop which is accurate to the air frame so I was trying it versus going with the 14 inch prop that this motor is for. That is why the landing gear looks so big in comparison to the air frame because the tri-blade is a 9.5 inch prop.

Attachments

• 499EBD0A-4964-4039-B453-B4F84B1DB028.jpeg
    499EBD0A-4964-4039-B453-B4F84B1DB028.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 39F81482-77AB-4F8F-A240-0ED149DB6D24.jpeg
    39F81482-77AB-4F8F-A240-0ED149DB6D24.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 872C1A43-2093-4306-B7C7-D419DBCEB35C.jpeg
    872C1A43-2093-4306-B7C7-D419DBCEB35C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Zim11911

I have completed the plans for the mark 2 version it is notably lighter I have left the servo placement out as this will change for balance. With a 1500mAh 4 s it balances well. I was flying with a 2200 mAh 4s so the servos are all the way back and I am using 12g metal gear. I was able to do inverted hovers, flat spin, knife-edge hover, and just about anything I wanted to. I will try to get some video next time I am up. I have reinforced the vertical and horizontal stabilizer with 1/8 inch plywood. It is scaled for a 40-inch wingspan and a 31 fuselage. Below is a screencap from Sketchup. Please ask any question you may have and enjoy it if you build it and let me know how it goes. I may try my hand at a few other aircraft.
1646695635355.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14eQjVZHXbSRwOiTg95Bd9ZsnedC3UIxz/view?usp=sharingo

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
I have completed the plans for the mark 2 version it is notably lighter I have left the servo placement out as this will change for balance. With a 1500mAh 4 s it balances well. I was flying with a 2200 mAh 4s so the servos are all the way back and I am using 12g metal gear. I was able to do inverted hovers, flat spin, knife-edge hover, and just about anything I wanted to. I will try to get some video next time I am up. I have reinforced the vertical and horizontal stabilizer with 1/8 inch plywood. It is scaled for a 40-inch wingspan and a 31 fuselage. Below is a screencap from Sketchup. Please ask any question you may have and enjoy it if you build it and let me know how it goes. I may try my hand at a few other aircraft.
View attachment 221038
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14eQjVZHXbSRwOiTg95Bd9ZsnedC3UIxz/view?usp=sharingo
access denied, maybe update first post with pdf file

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
View attachment 221040
how do you make skins in ketchup? that's SketchUp, right?

Zim11911

I use just 3d model it and use a bit of math then cut out some foam to verify. Here is a flat-file in hi res that can be used to print
Yak 54.png

Zim11911

so you don't use any of the 3d model features? cause curves don't work too well in SketchUp. also, what kind of math do you use? what formulas? I would like to learn that.
I use vector calculations mostly the angle calculation (may not be the best but I used them for work so I am quick with them) and break the curve down to small straight line increments. I hand cut my parts so that way I get a consistent result. I had tried to use the 3 d features but they did not produce repeatable results and were off when transferred to foam that was the main issue with the mark 1 version. The overall diameter of the front cowling should have been 5 inches but ended at 5.6 inches due to me not double-checking the modeling features.