Yes we are doing the Podcasty thing

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hey flite test guys
I've been following you around since the beginning of June

And your podcast saved me from 2 straight days of train during a transiberian voyage... Thanks!
I can't get a voicemail in, so I might as well ask you here
I've been in the hobby for a year or so in and out, so more like 4 months
Living in Hong Kong, it's difficult to fly 250 class quads, and I get easily discouraged from researching something too much...
Back to my question, what type of quad do you think I should buy as a test flyer, to see how 250 quads feel and if I could actually get in the hobby, rather than getting something and not liking it
Sorry to have rambled, you guys are awesome, keep up the good work!

Sounds like you are looking for an out of the box solution.

I've not completed the review of the Runner 250 but if you are looking for an entry level quad with remote and battery.
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_227357.html

Or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...lack_Widow_260_FPV_Racer_RTF_Set_Mode_2_.html

The 3rd option would be a the trusty blade nano.

Wishy

Muse from heaven
Thanks, i'd seen them already, and the runner 250 looks pretty nice, however people do seem to really hate on the frame. Please finish that review...
Sounds like you are looking for an out of the box solution.
I actually really like to tinker, what I meant by researching someting extensively, and once I get my head into someting else comletely forget it...
The nano qx might be fun, but I come from a hubsan X4, so someting bigger might be better
It also seems underpowered with only a 150mah battery... and I would like some longer flight times
Talking about Rtf, what do you think about the eachine 250 racer? It does pack some bang for the buck
I would love to build a quad, and have definitely compiled quite a list of frames that might be worthy, but what do you think about frames from hobbyking?
I am considering the Versacwopter (am i the only one that noticed?), but shipping and a much higher price than other budget frames can be discouraging (I know it's not a budget frame). What is the range of motors you could put on it?
Thanks a lot, and i'm sorry to use up podcast space with someting un-podcast related :)

Last edited:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
No worry.

So at this point you need to set up/think about your budget.

I know when I build my 250 last year it ran close to $300 to build it on a "budget".
That did not include the radio or battery.

Frame, FC, power dist, esc, motors and props.

Wishy

Muse from heaven
For the versacopter, I was thinking of a list like this
Frame
https://store.flitetest.com/versacopter-280-quad-frame-kit/
Motor/escs
http://www.banggood.com/Emax-MT2204...ropeller-Esc-12A-set-For-QAV250-p-974387.html
Fc
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...troller_Soldered_version_Horizontal_Pin_.html
And with that I arrive to 180usd with shipping, so with tools more or less 200
Would you recommend getting more use on los and later on get some FPV gear?
And using the thread for it's purpose, you could talk about rc modelers from other countries, get their opinions and maybe even get David Windestal on, it'd be fun to hear him with you guys after however long he wasnt here :)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Can't go wrong with the Versa and yes there are some nice combo packages out there.
Go hunting and have fun.
Heck build you own frame out of wood if you need to save some funds initially.

14 - 2.jpg 14 - 11.jpg

I suggest LOS flying at first. Get used to the basics.
Fly from the back of the copter so your orientation is good and slowly work towards flying towards yourself and adding rudder to the turns.

Just be safe but have FUN!

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I have a question, for Flite Test mainly. So if you can put a HUGE bug in their ear it would be awesome.

Flite Fest West... we really need an update. We still need to get plane tickets and they're getting more expensive as the hours tick by. When? Where? NEED HARD DATES! Some need months you get the approved time off from regularly scheduled life.

Sorry the anxiety is building, thank you for any help.

Last edited:

Merrixs

Day shift has really been slacking on the podcasts the last couple months. After hours is still keeping us a float though!

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Day shift has really been slacking on the podcasts the last couple months. After hours is still keeping us a float though!

We almost did a recording this past weekend but a certain Monkey had to work. :( I was really looking forward to chatting with Fred.

Once a week show for us is too much.
We run into schedule issues (busy Dad's) and not a lot of content during a 1 week period.
So we wont change that format.

The day crew is simply swamped which is understandable.
I'm sure/hope as the fall season creeps in (sniff) things will hopefully settle down for them.

Andre.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
We almost did a recording this past weekend but a certain Monkey had to work. :( I was really looking forward to chatting with Fred.

We run into schedule issues (busy Dad's) and not a lot of content during a 1 week period.

I'm sure/hope as the fall season creeps in (sniff) things will hopefully settle down for them.

Andre.

Although reviews might slow... orders will probably pick up. A lot of people will probably start to order winter projects.

I wonder if the Flite test crew would be interested in volunteers? Might be a can of worms but I wouldn't mind traveling up there one day to help put things together for reviews or even help pack stuff up just to see the shop and hang out with the people.

Merrixs

Andre.

Yep, I understand being a busy dad. I was not suggesting that afterhours start doing more, just that I still get to eagerly yet patiently wait for your next bimonthly bench fly. Take care and keep family first.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yep, I understand being a busy dad. I was not suggesting that afterhours start doing more, just that I still get to eagerly yet patiently wait for your next bimonthly bench fly. Take care and keep family first.

No worry... Just funny. At my recent birthday I was in stitches laughing as my close personal friends were all talking about being Dads. We used to talk about cars, computers and other stuff. Now it is all about being parents ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Andre.

<sarcasm>I was off all weekend, I got no calls, this is a conspiracy by Andre to steal my spotlight! Darn you Andre, and your ego!!!! <sarcasm/>

:p

Stupid job.

Maybe I should revive the attempt at the supplemental podcast....

crash bandicoot

I agree, If you and Crafty Dan got on a podcast I bet it would be similar to the After Hours group. If anything you could record a couple and have them as a backup for the original podcast group. Which I'm sure they would appreciate.

It seems like they already have a bunch on their plate so the podcast gets left behind sometimes. But the after hours group seems to be pretty consistent. Maybe two after hours groups is the answer?

I would volunteer too..

Patrick

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I too am a busy dad and can't read the whole thing!

I would like to thank the FTAH Crew for their commitment to publishing content. It's nice to have it every week. I enjoy it very much and listen while I'm chopping vegetables at work. Makes the day a little better. It very much has an after hours feel and is great. I know it is not easy to take the time to do so. Thank you.

Burly

I don't know how everyone else feels, but in my mind there's something very compelling about these podcasts.
So I'm really bummed when they don't happen.

Realistically...I think you need 3 podcast crews.
The Regulars.
The Afterhours guys(with Andre remote).
And a third group of 6 to 8 guys (4-5 in any single podcast which allows for time conflicts).

Whereas the After Hours Guys deal in a lot of personal flying stories, new product introductions, and crash stories, maybe this third crew could get a bit more geeky in subject matter...Electronics(including DIY), techy tools, Radio trends, FCB trends, Open Software and Hardware Projects, current state of the FAA regs, current events, what's happening in the schools(STEM)...

I think especially as this FliteTest school initiative is introduced, following it's progress on the podcasts will help drive it's success. I can't think of anything cooler than having your school program featured on the PodCast, and have some of the students and Advisor be interviewed.

I'll throw out some likely names, Flying Monkey, Crafty Dan, Nerdnic, EarthTeachSci, Jhitesma...there's many more I'm leaving out.
Pull up the membership list and sort on the number of posts.
The first two pages contain many familiar names of likely candidates.

Besides the regulars, you could also have a weekly guest/s.
Someone from the forum, or someone who had posted a recent article.
Or even someone outside of the immediate Flite Test family, (including vendors) who are doing something interesting as it relates to RC.
Ask them their bio, how did they get into the hobby, what product they are introducing, what are their main areas of interest, where do they think the hobby is headed.

I don't know technically what it would take to have everyone remote.
What software...or the quality of sound you could get.
Someone with the technical skills would have to take on the task of producer, sound engineer, and editor.

You could give it a shot...
If the reliability or quality was not there...then...at least you gave it a shot...

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
This ^^^ is a great idea. It seems like the FT guys are getting very busy and having an additional crew to throw in the mix would be nice. And maybe not on a one podcast per week schedule but like 1.5-2 a week would be good. I agree with Burly, these podcasts are fun to listen to, and going weeks without one is no fun.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If there was another podcast added to the mix, it would have to be careful not to step on the toes of the existing podcasts. The FTAH guys work too hard to produce a great show (and the regular guys with their podcast too) to do anything that would take away from their efforts.