Your flight times

Carbon

Elemental Madness
This thread is to share your FPV vehicle setup, and your average flight times. I though it would be fun to learn a little about unique platforms and the flight times people get out of them.

I'll start. I flew my FPV Raptor yesterday with a 4000mah battery and got exactly 40min out of it, cruising at half throttle. Using a park 450 equivalent with a 3 bladed 8x4 prop.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
My Bixler gets about 15-20 minutes off a 2200. Pre-FPV I tried out a 5000mAh battery and got about 50 mins with plenty of electrons left in the tank (probably would have got around 1:10-1:15 if I kept going).

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I get 20 - 30 minutes with a 2200mAh in my Bixler.

And I get 8 - 12 minutes on the same batteries with my tricopter.

Nonamerc

Arman
@Colorex and lobstersmash what about FPV gear (how much mW?) prop size and which engine

I have a bixler with the d2826/6 2200Kv brushless motor with an 40 amp esc spinning an 6X4E prop. I am using an 1.2 GHz 300mW system and I get exactly 12 minutes of flying time out of my bixler at cruising speed. I am flying with an 2200mAh 3 cell which powers the motor/servo's and the FPV gear. The reason why I can only fly 12 minutes is because I reinforced the tail of my bixler with glassfiber (2 pieces of 50cm) with the glue the bixler got pretty heavy... I am building a wing for which I am going to use two 3000 mAh 3 cell batteries in paralel. I will use these batteries also in my bixler with an 6X4 triple blade. I think that with that setup I will be able of flying 40 minutes at cruising speed!

Hi Carbon

Information as requested;

Airframe: FPV Raptor Composite 1600mm
Battery: Turnigy 2200mAh x 2
Camera: BEV-KX121-PAL
OSD: Nova
RC RX: RMILEC RD4047P
RC TX: Turnigy 9X, RMILEC TS4047 Module
Video RX: Boscam RC305 5.8GHz with Helical Antenna
Video TX: Boscam TS353 5.8 GHz 400mW with Cloverleaf Antenna
Weather: Relative Humidity 50%, Temperature 14°C, Wind S 5km/h

Cheers

Jason

Carbon

Elemental Madness
how are you getting an hour?!? with 2 2200mah batteries I barely squeezed out 40min!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
@Colorex and lobstersmash what about FPV gear (how much mW?) prop size and which engine

That is with FPV gear (for the 2200. I'm using the HK (Lawmate I think) 900Mhz 200mW system with a cloverleaf (it's a big sucker) and G-OSD. I'm using an EMP C2826 1900kv motor (from Leader Hobby) and a 6x4 tgs prop, teamed with a 40A HK SS ESC and a 4A UBEC. The setup is well under the motor's specs, and I think I only draw about 15A on full throttle, and about 8-10A cruising.

I haven't tested the 5000mAh battery with FPV gear, but I'm expecting at least close to an hour. I think the 5000 is pushing the airframe a bit too much and I get a much more pleasant flight with a 2200.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Yup, I tried that. Too high of a stall speed. I shouldn't say half throttle, it was more like 1/3 throttle.

Hi Carbon

That sounds about right. Most of my flying is done around a third to half throttle. What characteristics are you looking for i.e. long flights?

Cheers

Jason

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I need a plane that I can load up with a 5000mah 3 cell battery and a 130g payload and get 45min out of. I need a plane that can fly slow enough to land in a small-ish area, but very stable. I'm looking into the Skywalker, Skysurfer, Super Skysurfer, or scratchbuilt peace drone.

Hi Carbon

The Raptor should be able to handle a 5000mAh battery, in fact I'm hoping it can handle two with a project I have in mind. I did a video a while back showing how I mount the batteries (sorry for poor quality).

If you are keen at looking at another platform have you considered;

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Jason