Zagi Prop

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey all,
I was recently given a Stryker A and a 48" Zagi that are equipped with Graupner speed 400 motors, and a very wide bladed 5" press fit prop.

Unfortunately, I got out to test it today, and lost the prop when almost half a mile down range. I could hardly find the plane, much less the prop!

Does anyone know of a scource for these props or a prop that will give similar performance? A regular 5X5 doesn't even have enough thrust to stay airborne!
Thanks!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Funny thing is, they works just fine on the speed 400 and a 3 cell. I am getting 60 MPH easy on the Stryker, and the wing has 50-55 Easy. I don't have a problem with brushed, and have a mess of speed 400's and 25 amp brushed ESCs I was given.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Besides, it'd cost around $50 from HK to convert, which is far from chump change for me!:black_eyed:

Also, I tore so much weight out of the both of them that they have really good performance.
No sirree, I want prop choices.:cool:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
6.0v zagi motors, and one 4.8 race motor.
I hate the press fit hub on those props, but the prop itself is great, but it breaks easily.
Hope this helps.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Yes, a 5 cell nicd motor, yes I know it's too much voltage. I broke them in, and don't run more than 10 sec at WOT.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Sorry, I missed what you said The KV is 2100-2500. It is very high, I know.
Anyone else? I've asked all over the place, and simply need a prop suggestion.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Yes, I now have them mounted with bolt on collets, but not soon enough.:p
Thank you for the prop suggestion, I'll go get one tomorrow!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The original prop is called Günter and is a very flexible prop. http://www.mugi.co.uk/shop_product.php?id=105
Any GWS or APC that will fit will do the same job. There are bushings in GWS "parts kits" that vill fit but a real adapter will do the job.
As suggested - a 3500-4500 KV inrunner size 50-75 grams with a 3 cell 800 mAh battery will make your zagi scream.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Thanks for the post Pgerts. The Efficiency is higher with those gunter props, About 15% higher! Flight times are better as I have a timer to measure. Those s400's don't even move after 13v!:p they just sit and roast! If all of you are so insistent, have my hobby budget for a while, and speed 400's and old nicds start to look very appealing.
If you think I should go brushless, then I will always accept spare parts!:p
(The zagi had been sitting in an attic for 11 years!)

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

A "hobby budget"?????? Wow what a wonderful idea! Please fill me in as my credit card would dearly like a rest lol. Seriously man I getcha, plus you have the benefit of being the "cool" guy with "those old fashioned brushed motors". Sorta like taking a model-t to a Corvette rally. OK OK i digress....it would be cool though if you made a vid of these brushed motors in action....a lot of new kids on the block know nothing but brushless even though it wasn't that long ago brushed was the only game in town.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
(The zagi had been sitting in an attic for 11 years!)
What a shame!
I know the speed 400s and agree that they will roast pretty fast with 3 cells ;-)
There is brown smoke coming out from them at the final flight.
081028-02.JPG This is how it looks after slightly to much power.
I cant agree all the way regarding the Günter props. Like the GWS SF they are very soft and will bend if put to the limit - the limit will come too soon if putting on some power. But they are really good and durable for slow flights.
Your wing wil lneed new tape if you are going to use it after som many years. Just be careful if the zagi has been "used" a lot.
(Very) Last time i open mine for new tape there was only a lot of tiny white balls inside the cover.
I tried to cut some wings myself but did not manage to 100% getting the profile correct. They are very good at slope soaring and slow flight but not at all as good as the original Zagi at high speeds.
090615-02.JPG
090615-04.JPG The cost including 2 servos, pushrods and cover tape - excluding rx, motor and battery was 7$ a piece.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Okay, I broke down and rigged it with a 28-26 11 and a 9x5 prop. It is much more efficient, now achieving 25 min flights of mixed flight. Unfortunately, the motor mount broke off the tape, and It ate an elevon, yuck... I was able to land it well though.
My 400s are only run at full throttle for launch. They are only getting about 4 volts most of the time. I will rewrap the zagi soon.

lonewolf7717

2826-11....not sure which brand you went with but if was to guess running a 9x6 and 11 turns.....1100-1250kv motor? 150-180W range? yup that outta do it! enjoy