ZMR180 from FPVmodel.com

dropkickjohny

Are you cool, man?
Hello Everyone,

I picked up an ARF kit of the ZMR180 from FPVmodel.com come a couple of weeks ago. Truth be told, I have no idea where the original ZMR250 orginated from or from whom. I do know the FPVmodel sells the "version 2" of the ZMR250 so I suppose they get to be the ZMR people at the moment. Anyway, this is about the ZMR180. Here is what was included in the kit that I got:

• ZMR180 frame [m3 motor mounts for 22xx motors]
  • 4X FPVmodel 2204 2300kv motors
  • 4X DYS SN20A with SImonK Firware
  • PDB with 12v and 5v BECs
  • 2X Sets of Dragon Fly 4045 Bull nose props
  • Naze32 Acro

My build turned out slightly different due to the PowerOSD I had been meaning to use on something. Ripping the PPM solder pad of the Naze Acro forced me to use Swift32 board I had kicking around. Finally, black nylon standoffs, just for stealth bling. I flashed the ESCs with the latest BLHeli firmware so I could give BorrisB's Betaflight a go. The video below is from the FPV maiden flight with the stock PIDs from PID controller 1.

Anyone else have a ZMR180?

Attachments

• 20151017_143628.jpg
    20151017_143628.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20151017_143642.jpg
    20151017_143642.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 17

markyoe

That looks really neat! It is a good price for anyone wanting to get into an FPV racer. Had any major crashes yet?

dropkickjohny

Are you cool, man?
The only thing that would make me hesitate is the cramped conditions compared to a 250 sized quad. It could be a challenging build for a first race quad build. Yesterday was the first day flying it. I did have a few crashes after that first flight. The biggest problem after the crash today is now my video is super dirty where it wasnt before. I think it is the PowerOSD might be the problem. Still trying to diagnose...

Last edited:

markyoe

The only thing that would make me hesitate is the cramped conditions compared to a 250 sized quad. It could be a challenging build for a first race quad build. Yesterday was the first day flying it. I did have a few crashes after that first flight. The biggest problem after the crash today is now my video is super dirty where it wasnt before. I think it is the PowerOSD might be the problem. Still trying to diagnose...

Thanks for the advice. If my friend was to build one, I would help him. I hope you get the problem diagnosed.

dropkickjohny

Are you cool, man?
Thanks for the advice. If my friend was to build one, I would help him. I hope you get the problem diagnosed.

I think the problem is with the PowerOSD, tried swapping to a different Tx and camera and no help. I even tried hooking up an LC filter, but that still didnt fix the problem :(

dropkickjohny

Are you cool, man?

After spinning up the motors one at a time in cleanflight then looking through the googles the super dirty video was only present while spinning up the two rear motors. Looks like a new set of motors might be in order...

jipp

i do wish they would of went with 4mm bottom plate since its one piece..

but i do like the zmr frame so ill probably try one down the road.

chris,

Darkback2

First off, Great job with this build!

This looks super cool! The thing that makes me hesitate is A, my lack of experience, and B, the fact that it isn't different enough from what I already have. I have a phantom for aerial photography a 250 for sipping around low to the ground, (pretty much all I ever do anymore) and a Hubsan FPV for flying indoors. I can't see how to fit a 180 into my stable. I couldn't really fly it in the house, and the 250 already fills my zippy outdoor niche. The hard part is, that at that price point it would make a great first time racer...

The especially hard part is that the racing field that I go to has 3s and 4s sub 250 classes, and a sub 150 class. The 180 sort of falls in the middle... :-(