• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ZOHD Talon Rebel GT aka the Galleon DT(FB)

Got a chance to take mine out and really push it. Hit a bit over 4 miles from launch and 11 miles total in just over 19 minutes. Overall I think this design is a winner for sure and can only imagine it's better with the v2 mods.

Looking forward to seeing some footage from your latest model and dropping a link to my latest flight here.

2019/08/03 - CRCS to East Wolf Valley

-Clay

CapnBry

I've only flown 4 times now with the camera on board, still trying to get more of a locked in feel to the tune. I spent a bunch of hours this weekend trying to debug an inav problem which turned out to only be a blackbox logging issue.

I may not have video to share, I'm just flying circles around my field mostly, but I have some images. People like pictures right?!

"Sure, I can get in a flight before the rain starts" followup: nope!
sky720.jpg

My face in this one shows that clearly flying planes made from a few bucks worth of paper is srs business
me2720.jpg

Can I get some more butter on this landing?
landing720.jpg

That said, even after adding some neoprene foam and a larger magnet, the FPV pod can still eject itself on a fast landing so I'm just going to stick something through the top to make sure it doesn't come out on landing. I've flown upside down and loops and vertical rudder stalls no problem, but decelerating from 30-40kph to 0 in a second is enough for the cameras to get thrown out the front.

mayan

I've only flown 4 times now with the camera on board, still trying to get more of a locked in feel to the tune. I spent a bunch of hours this weekend trying to debug an inav problem which turned out to only be a blackbox logging issue.

I may not have video to share, I'm just flying circles around my field mostly, but I have some images. People like pictures right?!

"Sure, I can get in a flight before the rain starts" followup: nope!
View attachment 138034

My face in this one shows that clearly flying planes made from a few bucks worth of paper is srs business
View attachment 138033

Can I get some more butter on this landing?
View attachment 138032

That said, even after adding some neoprene foam and a larger magnet, the FPV pod can still eject itself on a fast landing so I'm just going to stick something through the top to make sure it doesn't come out on landing. I've flown upside down and loops and vertical rudder stalls no problem, but decelerating from 30-40kph to 0 in a second is enough for the cameras to get thrown out the front.
Those are some beatiful picture buddy!

CapnBry

Just got mine built. Thanks for the plans! Just need to install the electronics and she's ready to maiden.
Looks pretty sweet, and the first with the DTFB wing too! It might just be the camera angle, but the V-Tail looks more vertical than horizontal. If it is more vertical then you'll have more rudder authority (which you really don't need) and less elevator authority (which you might?). It should be 40-45 degrees from horizontal, but I'm not sure it if matters.

I'm sitting here at 10pm rebuilding my work PC since it decided to no longer work any more once the spinny mass storage drive died. While I was waiting for the backups to copy through the network I went out to fly. My PID settings were finally looking pretty good so I flipped over to manual mode real quick just to grab some gyro data on hard banks and loops. Pulled hard and immediately lost control in a high speed roll. Crashed hard into a lake, losing one soul, the $110 camera. :(
2019-08-08.jpg

There wasn't enough wind to blow it to the edge before dark set in so I fished it in as close as I could then waded out through the reeds to chest-deep water to recover it. I used a pair of pokin' sticks to poke around as I went, as I saw an alligator as I approached the lake and a nearby citizen came over to let me know he frequently sees venomous water moccasins along the shore. Luckily, all the stuff that wants to kill you in Florida let me pass to recover the wreckage.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but the blackbox logs show I entered the roll at ~80m, ~65kph and jumped up to rolling left at over 350 degrees/s. Since I know that my normal max roll rate is only 200 degrees/s, I think the wing snapped off and it just became a spinny death dart. All the bits still work, although I'll trash the battery to be on the safe side since this isn't its first major incident. Or its second.

mayan

Looks pretty sweet, and the first with the DTFB wing too! It might just be the camera angle, but the V-Tail looks more vertical than horizontal. If it is more vertical then you'll have more rudder authority (which you really don't need) and less elevator authority (which you might?). It should be 40-45 degrees from horizontal, but I'm not sure it if matters.

I'm sitting here at 10pm rebuilding my work PC since it decided to no longer work any more once the spinny mass storage drive died. While I was waiting for the backups to copy through the network I went out to fly. My PID settings were finally looking pretty good so I flipped over to manual mode real quick just to grab some gyro data on hard banks and loops. Pulled hard and immediately lost control in a high speed roll. Crashed hard into a lake, losing one soul, the $110 camera. :(
View attachment 138630

There wasn't enough wind to blow it to the edge before dark set in so I fished it in as close as I could then waded out through the reeds to chest-deep water to recover it. I used a pair of pokin' sticks to poke around as I went, as I saw an alligator as I approached the lake and a nearby citizen came over to let me know he frequently sees venomous water moccasins along the shore. Luckily, all the stuff that wants to kill you in Florida let me pass to recover the wreckage.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but the blackbox logs show I entered the roll at ~80m, ~65kph and jumped up to rolling left at over 350 degrees/s. Since I know that my normal max roll rate is only 200 degrees/s, I think the wing snapped off and it just became a spinny death dart. All the bits still work, although I'll trash the battery to be on the safe side since this isn't its first major incident. Or its second.
Ouch :(.

CapnBry

Thanks, man. :cool: It's ok, I'll just build another one in a few months when I can afford a new camera except probably with a traditional DTFB wing. I'll miss that camera but I'll miss its footage lost along with it as well. I had one battery full of doing proximity FPV on the Galleon between the tree stands and through bigger gaps in the treeline and zipping around upside down. I didn't copy it off due to the hard drive failure so it went down with the camera.

Is there a DTFB FPV submarine for probing lake bottoms for missing cameras?