FAA Explains Their Angle (FTCA update)

CappyAmeric

Elite member
New video drop from FTCA:

As I have said, the FRIA thing is an FAA scam. Last week, the AMA made a really big deal about how "FRIAs are NOT for individuals, they are for organizations" - what AMA really meant was the FAA is going to make sure that the only place you can fly without a Remote ID module is at one of OUR clubs.

There may be a few more places the FAA recognizes, just to make it appear that they care, but it is all about the AMA... for now. Eventually, the FAA will end up shutting those down too, when the club memberships eventually dwindle to nothing.

Just like the "drone registration" (that was supposed to preserve recreational flying), the FRIA application seems to me a way for them to identify future violators - or sites to check for violators. I hope I am wrong, but having worked in the airline industry in close contact with the FAA for 43 years, I think I have a sense of their long term plans for UAS control.

churchjw

Just watching the ftca/fpvfc video. Come on….FAA always made it clear that FRIAs were never intended for individuals use.
Also, FAA has made it abundantly clear that individuals should not submit for FRIAs only CBO

Last edited:

Yankee2003

They got Bruce’s attention.

Interesting video.
It makes good business sense for our local hobby shop going mostly RC cars and trucks. Maybe that is what Tower, Motion and Horizon are doing as well. RC cars and trucks have just never done it for me.
We’ve heard this call to action before. But this seems to be happening in Canada and the UK as well. Very discouraging for sure.
Seemed like at the end of last year things were looking up. Now it feels like a sudden and drastic change for the worse.
Fortunately for me it is a hobby and not a career.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Just watching the ftca/fpvfc video. Come on….FAA always made it clear that FRIAs were never intended for individuals use.
Also, FAA has made it abundantly clear that individuals should not submit for FRIAs only CBO

FTCA was authorizing individuals to represent them in applying for FRIA. No, the FAA never said that could not be done. We always understood that FRIAs were a function of CBO.

AMA’s comment was a poke in the eye of other CBOs - count on them to be jerks about it.

churchjw

FTCA was authorizing individuals to represent them in applying for FRIA. No, the FAA never said that could not be done. We always understood that FRIAs were a function of CBO.

AMA’s comment was a poke in the eye of other CBOs - count on them to be jerks about it.

But FAA did make it fairly clear in the Final rule page 183(see below).....so...to make it that CBO's could just authorize any individuals is very much is a huge stretch of what the FAA has said. yes rules are unclear in total, but not in this. Yes they opened the submission for to anyone, but it is the government...they are.....

Please do make my comments as support for the Remote ID rules. I have a love/hate relationship with AMA and yes I believe AMA is exploiting the situation.

1676424417100.png

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
The good news is that there are just shy of 3.8 million square miles in the USA. Good luck to the FSDO finding where I'm flying today. I'll stick that stupid xmiter on my plane when I can get one for less than $100 and less than 9 grams.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
But FAA did make it fairly clear in the Final rule page 183(see below).....so...to make it that CBO's could just authorize any individuals is very much is a huge stretch of what the FAA has said. yes rules are unclear in total, but not in this. Yes they opened the submission for to anyone, but it is the government...they are.....

Please do make my comments as support for the Remote ID rules. I have a love/hate relationship with AMA and yes I believe AMA is exploiting the situation.

View attachment 234984
Anyone paying attention has known for quite some time that the FRIA application was under the umbrella of a CBO. So, can you explain why the FAA's own web site has an online form for applying for a FRIA? Might I suggest something to you? It's called a scam. They wanted individuals to assume that they could apply for their local park. Not so that they can approve, but so they can see where to look for non-AMA pilots after September 16, 2023.

The FAA is a non-elected government agency, imposing rules for a hobby that gets in the way of two groups: commercial drone operators, and the AMA. Non-elected government agencies hate us, and since 2018 and this whole process started, it is clear that the AMA is not a friend of the hobbyist unless they are paying dues to a local AMA club. Like Facebook/Twitter/Google in their unholy alliance with the FBI - it sure looks like the AMA is in cahoots with the non-elected officials at the FAA for the express purpose of protecting their little business. What the AMA does not yet realize is, this will not protect their outdated business model. With average age at AMA clubs in the 60s, the FAA will soon achieve their goal: to kill all recreational R/C flying.

churchjw

Anyone paying attention has known for quite some time that the FRIA application was under the umbrella of a CBO. So, can you explain why the FAA's own web site has an online form for applying for a FRIA? Might I suggest something to you? It's called a scam. They wanted individuals to assume that they could apply for their local park. Not so that they can approve, but so they can see where to look for non-AMA pilots after September 16, 2023.

The FAA is a non-elected government agency, imposing rules for a hobby that gets in the way of two groups: commercial drone operators, and the AMA. Non-elected government agencies hate us, and since 2018 and this whole process started, it is clear that the AMA is not a friend of the hobbyist unless they are paying dues to a local AMA club. Like Facebook/Twitter/Google in their unholy alliance with the FBI - it sure looks like the AMA is in cahoots with the non-elected officials at the FAA for the express purpose of protecting their little business. What the AMA does not yet realize is, this will not protect their outdated business model. With average age at AMA clubs in the 60s, the FAA will soon achieve their goal: to kill all recreational R/C flying.

I wholeheartedly agree. But the reason the application process was open to all was more likely incompetence

As I made abundantly clear in my post, I do not support the rules and think AMA is exploiting the rules.

And CBO’s are a creation of an unelected bureaucrat and are part of scam. This statement is not a reflection of individuals in CBO,

I just went honest info about what is clearly known about rules and to show many false hopes/promises were given by ALL CBOs

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
... many false hopes/promises were given by ALL CBOs the FAA and AMA.

Fixed it.

I do not agree that FTCA and FPVFC share any guilt in false hopes or nefarious intent. The FAA Remote ID / FRIA is process is a confused mess, which is intentional, because they really never intended to do anything more than establish FRIAs for the AMA. It was a scam, and the AMA was in on it. FTCA and FPVFC were only guilty of trying to find a way for the average citizen to stay in compliance with non-constitutional rules that non-elected bureaucrats have come up with.

Since its inception, FAA's mandate has been to regulate and promote all forms of aviation. In the past 10 years, they have forgotten the "promote" part of their mandate. The severe pilot shortage is here, and will get many times worse, which will lead to diminished safety in the skies - and the FAA's only response is to loosen rules for getting hired by an airline - instead of working at both ends of the spectrum: getting more young people interested in affordable aviation (e.g. Flite Test) and keeping experienced pilots in the flight deck ("happy 65th birthday, the government says we should now fire you").

MrKilometer

There would be more money in the delivery drones, but they are not likely to see widespread use. Not because of lack of regulations, but because, for the average citizen, the idea of getting hit by an autonomous UAV far outweighs the "cool" factor of having a package flown to your house

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Reading between the lines from today’s email FTCA it is somewhat encouraging that they recognize who the enemy is (in addition to the FAA). My words, not theirs.

I am resigning my AMA membership. They haven’t represented people like me for a long time and their digs at other CBOs show how small minded they really are.

Yankee2003

Reading between the lines from today’s email FTCA it is somewhat encouraging that they recognize who the enemy is (in addition to the FAA). My words, not theirs.

I am resigning my AMA membership. They haven’t represented people like me for a long time and their digs at other CBOs show how small minded they really are.
If there is going to be a change in the AMA pilots like you and I need to help change the mindset from an insider position. The organization is not the pilots and therefore there is hope for a different mindset. One way to change an organization is to be a part of it.
If they don’t adapt and change, they will suffer the very fate they are trying to avoid.
If they think they can fight the FAA on their own…..I believe they are deceiving themselves.

MrClean

There's always control line. Come on, you really want to feel the plane in your hands, don't you?

Ok, it's not for everyone and I'll be flying in my front yard when I want, what I want. It's bad enough I have a pipeline inspection craft that goes over every week anyways but that's nothing new. I grew up calling Forbes air force base to tell them I was going flying at the designated field. Whenever we heard full size aviation we hit the deck. Nothing hard about it. Silly amazon drones show up, I'll let my 10 years of RCCA combat skills kick in.