I GIVE UP

glenn welch

I'VE BEEN TRYING FOR THE BETTER PART OF A YEAR TO GET A GPS EQUIPPED QUAD AND HEX UP AND FLYING. IT SEEMS THE ONLY THING I CAN GET TO WORK IS A CHEAP HK QQTHUNDER FC TO WORK ON MY MULTIROTORS. I'VE BOUGHT A NAZAMLITEGPSCOMBO FROM HK AND HAVE HAD IT REPLACED 4 TIMES STILL WITH NO LUCK, I'VE BOUGHT A FLYSHARK GPS SYSTEM WITH THE SAME RUSULTS. I'VE BOUGHT SEVERAL KK2 2.15 VERSION BOARDS AND CAN'T SEEM TO GET THEM DIALED IN, I'VE SPENT OVER 4 GRAND IN THE LAST 8 MONTHS WITH HK AND A LOT OF WHAT I BOUGHT ISN'T WORTH THROWING IN THE TRASH. SO I GUESS I'ME NOT SUPPOSED TO FLY. I GIVE UP !!!! ANYONE INTERESTED IN BUYING WHAT I'VE GOT I'LL MAKE YOU A GOOD DEAL ON ALL THIS CRAP. IF I CAN'T MAKE THIS CRAP WORK THEN I MIGHT AS WELL GET SOME OF MY MONEY BACK OUT OF IT. ANYONE INTERESTED IN WHAT I'VE GOT ,DROP ME AN EMAIL AND I'LL TELL YOU EVERYTHING I HAVE AND SEE WHAT I CAN GET OUT OF IT . I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS BUT IT SEEMS I CAN'T GET ANYBODYS HELP FIGUREING ALL THIS OUT . I WOULD MUCH RATHER GET THIS CRAP TO WORK BECAUSE I DO SO BADLY WANT TO FLY FPV, BUT I'ME A COMPLETE IDIOT ON A PC, AND IT SEEMS NOONE IS WILLING TO HELP ME SO I GUESS I'LL JUST SELL IT ALL TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE IT WORK. I WOULD RETURN IT TO HK BUT THEIR RETURN POLICY ISN'T WORT THE HASSLE, BESIDES THAT THEY WANT VIDEO'S AND I'ME TOO STUPID TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THAT. SO IF YOU CAN HELP ME EITHER BY HELPING ME TO MAKE THIS STUFF WORK OR BY BUYING WHAT I'VE GOT , IT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU GLENN WELCH

MrClean

You might try entering code in lower case. For what it's worth though, I have not been able to get the hang of multicopters. Just not in my DNA maybe? To me flying is taking a plane around the patch, shooting some touch n go's, some combat, flying with the fpv goggles on trying to work myself down to ground level where it gets fun and spending the rest of the time BS'ing with the gang around a campfire at the end of the day. I'm amazed at what multis can do (not the least of which is seemingly getting our whole hobby banned) but I always end up flying sideways into something that doesn't permit it, doesn't like it, won't stop complaining about it or any mixture of all three. Plus my dog thinks it's a big butterfly and that means it's HIS!

Maybe you're just a Bixler man and hadn't realized it yet.

but do get off that caps lock, it really is hard to read a whole paragraph like that.

Off Topic and out there, I wonder if we're ever going to go back to black screens with green or amber txt to save on eye strain as was intended? Pictures and all are nice but this big white screen is probably doing a number to all of our eyeballs. And a person without eyeballs is a sad sad person.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
It's hard to get help online if you're hesitant with the computer. If I were looking for help, I would go to a local rc club or multi rc group.

jaskoller

added some info for the edit.

Hi Glenn, after reading your post I looked at your other posts. Sorry, but I missed the unsteady Yaw post. This is a great forum to get help on but sometimes posts get pushed down the line and get missed.

I'll offer my two cents. First, your frustration is killing your ability to focus, trust me I've been there. Take a minute and break down your build in simple increments. (I'm certainly not talking to you like a child, I've been frustrated like you and found myself missing easy things) If it was my build, I'd forget all the GPS and "add on" things until my copter was flying LOS perfectly. And then add in all the goodies after that. One thing, on your unsteady yaw issue, it may be a matter of calibrating your accelerometer with your quad flat level and not moving. It's extremely easy on the KK2.1.5 as you just go into the menu and go down until you see one of the options that says "calibrate" I can't remember the wording exactly but click on that option and it will calibrate. Make sure you quad (or hex or whatever) is level. It will go through the calibration and it will tell you when it is done. Then click done or back until you get back to the main page. Then try it. If it didn't work do it again. Sometimes I have some issues just like that with my tricopter. Again, make sure it is level and completely still. If you are using a different board like a Naze 32 or something, you can do that calibration in the software like Cleanflight.
If you can't get your copter to connect, let's address that..

Everyone on this forum wants you to fly, so if we can break down your issues one by one, we should get you into the air. My advice to you is KEEP IT SIMPLE to start with. I wish you luck and I'll help you if I can.

P.S. Make sure you have calibrated your radio, and that your trims are all centered before you calibrate your quad.

Last edited:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I've been trying for the better part of a year to get a gps equipped quad and hex up and flying. it seems the only thing i can get to work is a cheap hk qqthunder fc to work on my multirotors. i've bought a naza m lite gps combo from hk and have had it replaced 4 times still with no luck, i've bought a flyshark gps system with the same results. I've bought several kk2 2.15 version boards and can't seem to get them dialed in, i've spent over 4 grand in the last 8 months with hk and a lot of what i bought isn't worth throwing in the trash. so i guess i'me not supposed to fly.

i give up !!!! anyone interested in buying what i've got i'll make you a good deal on all this crap. if i can't make this crap work then i might as well get some of my money back out of it. anyone interested in what i've got ,drop me an email and i'll tell you everything i have and see what i can get out of it . i don't want to do this but it seems i can't get anybody's help figureing all this out . i would much rather get this crap to work because i do so badly want to fly fpv, but I'm a complete idiot on a pc, and it seems no one is willing to help me so I guess I'll just sell it all to someone who knows how to make it work. i would return it to hk but their return policy isn't worth the hassle, besides that they want video's and I'm too stupid to figure out how to do that.

so if you can help me either by helping me to make this stuff work or by buying what I've got , it will be greatly appreciated. thank you

- Glenn welch

Hello Glenn:

I had to break your post up and remove the caps to be able to read it.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your multi-rotor. As someone who started off in the KK2/Naze era of multi-rotors I can understand how overwhelming it can be.

Take a deep breath first... If you could describe some of the issues you are having with some of these flight controllers we will be able to help you. I am familiar with the KK2 board also so if you could let me know what sort of performance issues you were having and what firmware you are running I'll do my best to help you get her tuned.

earthsciteach

I suffer perpetual multirotor frustrations as well. I had to take a break from them for a few months and focus on my fixed wing fleet. I'm ready to give the flying abominations another crack now.

Have you tried a DJI Phantom? They are WAY out of my budget, but they seem to be the best on the market at the moment.

glenn welch

Haha! Yes.
just a little update, i've sent back both gps systems, so that headache is nolonger. now i'me trying to make some fc's work. i have 1 naze32 board 1 openpilot cc3d board and 2 op cc3d mini's, along with 3 kk2 hc's. to start with i can't seem to get the info i need to upgrade the firmware on the kk2's. and when i try to flash the oop minis or the naze, i get prompts like serial port fail or bootloader fail or wizzard timed out waiting for board to be plugged in when it allready is, or process needs elevation or i have to manually program with something called a plug in. let me stress again just how pc illitterate i am. so there's a lot of times when what i'me seeing on the monitor is tottally greek to me. i guess i need a pc expert to come in and lead me step by step through the whole process, but i really can't afford that. so i'me stuck with all these fc's that i can't do anything with. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. GLENN WELCH

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would suggest watching a bunch of Flight controller board set up videos from the Flite test crew as well as painless360 on you tube. That is where I was able to learn most of what I know as well as find solutions to the many issues that arise when first starting to do all this. Just watch the videos and get familiar how the process for all the controllers is very similar. then you can go find the specific one for each of the named controllers in your list and attempt setting them up again.

glenn welch

Yes. Painless360 is great. Highly reccomend.
i have watched sooooo many videos on flight controller set up my eyes are bleeding. i can follow instructions if i know what their talking about, but there are soo many acronyms in pc language that i'me more confused after watching than i was before. but thats only half the problem, it seems i can't get my pc to recognize any of the boards i plug in. i've only had a pc for less than a year, and at 57 i'me not sure if i can get this down, if only this could be in simple english, i can't even tell if i'me downloading the right firmware/drivers, etc. to make these things work. i just don't know what i'me doing HELP PLEASE GLENN WELCH

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok so lets get a little more in depth with this to get you sorted out. First what computer do you have, do you use windows or some form of Apple operating system? Second what version windows 7, 8, 10 if its a PC or OS 10 or higher I assume since the last time I worked with a mac? That way we will know where to point you for the correct drivers and software to talk to the controllers.

Second we will need to know what revision the controllers are you have on hand to know any particular quirks about them that may be present.

Lastly.. list the acronyms that have you stumped and we can sort ya out as well.

There are a lot of good helpful people here. I know as I have been working thru some problems myself that several people managed to help me fix in the last two days.

glenn welch

ok, i have an hp 550-044 desktop running win 10, this is my 1st pc ever, and most of what i see on this thing just doesn't make sence.. my short term memory is shot so i can only think of one acronym at the moment and it is {avr}. there seems to be a problem with getting my pc to talk to these fc's i've been trying to install, i have a naze32 rev5, an openpilot cc3d rev3 and 2 openpilot cc3d minis. the openpilot all say there's a serial port fail, and i've used a half dozen different cables to connect to the pc, so i'me pretty sure it's in the board, and the naze32 gives me a bootloader fail prompt. i'me soo cunfused i don't know which way is up! but i won't give up. THANK EVERY ONE OUT THERE WHO HAS TRIED TO HELP. GLENN WELCH

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hi ya Glenn,

It's kind of hard to help out with this sort of forum environment. Do you have high speed internet access where you have your computer? If so, we could use some video conferencing and screen sharing tools that might help make this easier to help out with. If you don't have online access where your computer is, I might suggest looking for an RC or multirotor club (MultiGP chapters seem to be forming up all over the place):
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
http://www.multigp.com/

And seeing if anyone could help you out in person.

Anyway, if you want to give remote troubleshooting a shot, feel free to "private message" me hovering over my name with your mouse and selecting "Private Message" -- if you have an email address, if you want to share it with me, I can email you directly from mine to sort out the details.

I went ahead and looked for a club near you... Looks like this club is right in your backyard:
http://texomarc.org/

They seem to encourage FPV pilots on their site, so I suspect they're multirotor friendly and knowledgeable!

Last edited:

RGJameson

Here ya go, this Bud's for you. Looks like a deal...
medium_P3C_01.jpg

http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard?site=brandsite&from=buy_now_bottom

megatech1966

I’m about to give up too. I have a spedix black knight 210. The firmware is messed up. It now only boots up in to bootloader mode. But when I try to upload the firmware it says bootloader fail. Tried on 2 PC’s and a MacBook. ☹️
I have a tiny drone which I managed to update the firmware fine. So on the PC side is working. So is the drivers on my old MacBook.
If I can’t fix it I would like to change the flight controller. Hopefully one which support the LED’s, fpv module and dms2/dmsx satellite module.
FE33350C-3AD6-4A69-8CE5-11A508A88693.jpeg

Last edited: