bracesport

Legendary member
Yes, it is pretty thrilling to have got this far. There are a few lessons learned that will be part of a V2!

I kicked myself the hat cam was flat so I did not catch the couple of discus launches that went well all things considered! I nearly got out today but the rain came in...

Well done !! Completly designed and built by yourself. Thats pretty amazing

bracesport

Legendary member
TUESDAY 05 OCTOBER 2021

A windless foggy day - dead calm no idea where to find the lift - my plan was to take it easy on the sticks..

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 8.04.18 PM.png

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
TUESDAY 05 OCTOBER 2021

A windless foggy day - dead calm no idea where to find the lift - my plan was to take it easy on the sticks..

Man that thing is so graceful and relaxed. If its any consolation even with no thermals you still had longer flights then I ever had to date so I guess your grass is STILL greener huh.

EDIT: Oh yeah. what resolution was that video shot with. It was like sitting in a movie theater. I almost setup the projector to see just how big I could get it.

bracesport

Legendary member
@PsyBorg - I seem to be a slow learner but I don't have any reference to really know - I do love the DLG flying!

The flying shots are from a pretty average go-pro knock off and the ground shots are from my Samsung A32 phone which has super duper video and stills - I need to get some flying shots with it next time!

Phil

bracesport

Legendary member
THURSDAY 21 OCTOBER 2021

Another opportunity to fly today and it was a double treat with two BAMFs on the loose - my friend Pete brought his poly wing mod'd B1 and I had my BAMFzilla.

It was dead calm at breakfast time but by 11.30 there was a bit of a south breeze.

Similar ships, same day, different pilots, different results, lots to learn!

Pete is a pro and easily cracks six minute flight times in what was a turbulent day - even when he is in trouble he turns it around and climbs the thermals - I swear he is a thermal whisperer!

My flight times were still pretty average, but Pete was happy with my setup once I dialed back the throws - sadly he is mode1 and I am mode2 so he couldn't give my ship a whirl.

Nevertheless, I caught my first thermal today and that was awesome - Pete gave me some great tips on flying slow in thermal modes - I just need to practice!

I noticed my horizontal stab was loose, so that ended the session for me today.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
THURSDAY 21 OCTOBER 2021

Another opportunity to fly today and it was a double treat with two BAMFs on the loose - my friend Pete brought his poly wing mod'd B1 and I had my BAMFzilla.

It was dead calm at breakfast time but by 11.30 there was a bit of a south breeze.

Similar ships, same day, different pilots, different results, lots to learn!

Pete is a pro and easily cracks six minute flight times in what was a turbulent day - even when he is in trouble he turns it around and climbs the thermals - I swear he is a thermal whisperer!

My flight times were still pretty average, but Pete was happy with my setup once I dialed back the throws - sadly he is mode1 and I am mode2 so he couldn't give my ship a whirl.

Nevertheless, I caught my first thermal today and that was awesome - Pete gave me some great tips on flying slow in thermal modes - I just need to practice!

I noticed my horizontal stab was loose, so that ended the session for me today.

... Video to follow ...

My longest glide flight was on the edge 540 I built to find CG. Someday Ill try n mess around with soring. Western New York is Very windy a lot of the year.

bracesport

Legendary member
We get heaps of wind here, so great for sloping - I just have to pick the days for the DLG - actually there are more flyable days than I have time to fly!!

My longest glide flight was on the edge 540 I built to find CG. Someday Ill try n mess around with soring. Western New York is Very windy a lot of the year.

bracesport

Legendary member
WEDNESDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2021

The weather forecast looked good this morning, but by lunchtime it was blowing and gusty - I had my new X-lite ready but I would have been foolish in the wind without re-trimming on the new TX first - but what about one wee slope off the bank (can't hurt)!

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 12.40.16 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
SATURDAY 15 JANUARY 2022

It was a clear sky with a bit of a stiff breeze, but I have been waiting to trim the BAMFzilla with the new X-lite - I have tweaked my Open TX file since moving from the T16 (and the X-lite has less switches) so I was itching to get in the air - I think the breeze was a bit too stiff for me and I struggled to get any two minute flights - the trim seemed pretty good, but I could not find lift - it did seem a bit twitchy in pitch but I did not play with the rates or do a dive test to evaluate the CG in the stiff breeze - I flew speed and cruise modes but if the wind is lighter tomorrow I will see if I can do better and also try the thermal mode.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 4.25.29 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
SUNDAY 16 JANUARY 2022

I flew again today - clear skies and zero wind at 0730 so I was keen to get out and try my luck with the thermal mode - starting out at 0730 I could not find lift but it was a chance to further trim and try out the thermal mode - catching was going well - my plan was to try and find lift over the trees on the edge of the park or the tennis court at one end - I was starting to get some two minute flights but these were hard earned at low altitudes - towards the end I ventured above the roof of a large building on one side of the park and managed several excellent flights in thermal mode - sadly my hat cam angle was too high, but the +3min video proof is there!

I was super stoked to do some good park thermals (at my level) but gutted the camera was off - I was hoping for some good feedback on the thermal techniques! Oh well, next time eh!

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.28.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.30.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.31.49 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
MONDAY 24 JANUARY 2022

My wife wanted to come see what all the fuss is about at the park and offered to get some video - last time out I damaged my horizontal stabiliser so I fitted my Phantom V1 stabiliser to get back in the air - a light south easterly and nice and warm - I think the incidence is better with this tail as I needed to remove all the up trim from last time out - the thermal mode is still not quite there but a 2.5min flight on the 6th toss is giving me confidence in thermal mode flying - no RF issues changing the GRX6 back to a RX6R receiver - coming home in one piece more often than not as also a blessing!

Thankfully my wife forgave me for flying into her!

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 2.35.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 2.36.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 2.36.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 2.36.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 2.33.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 2.34.56 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Thursday 17 Feb

Today I flew with my mate Pete (PP... Pete the Pro) - I was flying my BAMFzilla and Pete was flying his new Armsoar Fury (what an awesome ship) - weighs in at about 262g with a 400 mAh 2 cell - the noticeable difference is a larger chord and regular tail - Pete flies it like he has flown it for years - very impressive.

My flying was a bit hap hazard - not great launching today - my plan however was to play around with the full thermal mode - actually in full thermal it was tracking better than my cruise mode so there is some more trimming to do for that - when I was in the lift it was flying very well but equally I was falling out of it too easily - Pete said the thermals were very tight and moving quite fast - it was the first time I could actually see the glider just drop while still flying horizontally - today I had the presence of mind to use my left hand on the rudder (a first) and less aileron and it was working quite well for course correction without loss of altitude - note to self to read the Charles River article that Pete sent me on rudder flying.

Yup more practice is the key!

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.11.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.11.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.12.16 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
SUNDAY 20 March 2022

I was a bit of a stiff breeze and tested my 'nube' skills - it was super difficult to make forward progress - I tried all the modes to see what would give me the best lift, but overall the speed mode was used the most - it was challenging to say the least, but I was happy to come home in one piece - in the end I found more rudder than ailerons suited the conditions but I really did not know what I was doing! :D

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.24.45 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
TUESDAY 22 March 2022

Another quick session in a stiff breeze - not the kind of day for me to hit my 3 minute flight target - nevertheless I came home in one piece and got some more stick time - I am definitely going to build some ballast to see how it performs (or how I perform with ballast)!

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 6.09.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 6.10.25 PM.png

Last edited: