Share your FliteFest stories

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
It was all a bit of a blur during FTFF, and before it becomes even blurrier over time, I wanted to take the opportunity to type them here in Seth's great thread.

I'm new to the hobby, and a terrible pilot. I wanted to check out FliteFest but seriously wondered what I'd do with myself at a flying event if I can't fly for more than a few flights without crashing the two planes I brought with me (FT-22 and Cruiser) -- well, volunteering seemed like a great idea, so I signed up. Boy, did that make the experience complete. I learned so much, took away some great experiences, was humbled, made to feel grateful, special, and all sorts of positive adjectives that escapes me now. You know that feeling of being tired, and exhausted, but in a good way? That was me at the end, and I'm sure the same for everyone here.

Some of my volunteer experience:

Being new to the hobby, I wasn't sure I could help with CraftyDan and the build tent, but his patience, and great teaching skills taught me a lot. Same said for the giant FT Flyer build, I couldn't contribute in any meaningful way, but appreciated the little things I could help with. Holding it while Dan soldered LEDs up, help recover it post flights and be part of the "3D flying team" with WillsonMan. The build tent really put me outside my comfort zone. Having only built three FT plans, I really didn't feel confident in being able to help in any good way. I tried to help Dan with stringing up a power circuit, only to realize I was just slowing him down. It was kind of funny having Anthony from ImmersionRC crack jokes while waiting on power for his hot glue gun to fix his FPV wing. It was around the same time I had to watch in horror as Dan hit a live wire, which I would have to take some responsibility for because he wouldn't have gotten shocked if I were speedier. When the power was sorted out, and all the building started, it was clear they were going to need some help in there. There was a short period of time when I was bouncing around someone building a Spitfire, a family building a Racer, another family building a Bloody Wonder, and a mom and son building a Fogey. They all happened to be planes I had never built, nor had I watched any of the build videos for them. I tried to help where I could, but defintely ran into my limits where I just didn't feel comfortable giving advice and had to run around recruiting help from those who knew what they were doing. Again, I think I hindered more than helped in many cases. Case in point was Drew and his mom. He was building the Fogey, from a speed build kit. His first build ever. His mom was building the Nutball. I wished Doug had chosen the nutball or the ft flyer instead for his first ever build! After breezing through the power pod build, I quickly found I just didn't know what I was doing when it came to the next big thing: the wing. I had to go away to see if others needed help while Drew extracted the wing pieces. Of course, it took longer to get back than I hoped, and when I returned, he had what looked like a wingtip with aileron. He had cut a bevel, and made what looked like a glue hinge, but the hinge was full of glue and didn't move. Ok, it should be clear at this point that I didn't even realize the Fogey was a three channel plane. I panicked and told him we'll sort this out. I took a fresh sheet of foamboard, his wing tip, and showed him how to trace and cut out a new piece. I proceeded to cut a bevel and show how to make a control surface with a glue hinge. After all this, he was the one who pointed out that maybe I didn't need to do this because it's a three channel plane. Can you imagine how silly I felt at this point? I felt awful. I had led him down the most random, wrong path and realized I was way in over my head. At this point, he found a kind soul with a wifi access point on his phone, and was able to start building based on the videos. I slunk away to help others returning once in a while to check in. In the meantime, the kind soul who helped him with the hotspot and lending tools ended up cutting himself, and I was back in my comfort zone of providing first aid. I offered to cut Drew a new blood-less piece, because his neighbor got some of his blood on a part of Drew's wing, but he just put packing tape over it. After dressing his neighbors wound, I saw Drew had made good progress and was done with the wing and was starting the fuselage. At t his point, I think it was Wayne and Dave Knopf came up to me asking if I knew anyone with a multimeter so they could run some continuity tests / polarity checks on a power lead for the live stream kit. I didn't see Dan in the tent, but Anthony was still there chatting with Dan from LazerToyz, so I asked if he had one we could borrow. Of course he did, but it was in his toolbox at the ImmersionRC tent. I took the FT guys over there, found the multimeter where Anthony said it would be, and they quickly found out the polarity was indeed reversed. I started feeling that I finally was able to contribute in a meaningful way, and help without causing more problems!

This story is getting a bit too long. There's some good that came of what at this point seems to be like a bit of a disaster in terms of my "helping" Drew. He gets the plane done, and it's really rewarding to see his huge smile and his proud mom even though it took the better part of two days to build it. We figure out how his new TX and receiver combo works, but then he asks if I could help him with the maiden. At this point, I just wanted to crawl into my tent and hide, but I rally and start thinking of how I can help without creating a disaster. His TX had a trainer port that looked like the same one on my DX6i. I asked Dan from LazerToyz if we can buddy box with that TX and my DX6 -- he thought it would work, but hadn't fully tested it. I wasn't about to test this myself. Turns out Drew had given his mom his old DX5, so we took that and her spektrum RX, put it in his powerpod, got the controls sorted out with some help from other FTFF attendees who were kind and knowledgeable about all this. I ran and grabbed my DX6, bought a trainer cable from Dan, and by the time I got back to them, they were ready. The gentleman who was helping us sort out the buddybox system was great, and showed me how that all worked. We checked the controls via the master, and the slave. It all looked good. I then decided to enlist the help of the nearest FliteTest person to actually do the flying. Alex happened to be closest, so I asked him, and he was generously willing to help, but then he pointed out that Josh was really the best person to do that, since he hadn't been flying much at this point during the event. Josh happened to be nearby, so I discretely asked if he could help Drew. Here's where the lessons started all over.

I just didn't have any confidence at this point, so I wasn't thinking. Thankfully, Josh was. The first thing he did, after looking over the build and complimenting Drew on the great job he did for his first build, was look for the battery. At this point, I realized Drew had put it inside the powerpod, and I had an "oh carp!" moment (and would have slapped myself in the face with a carp if I had one) and realized the CG would be off and wondered how I missed that. Oh yeah, because I have no clue what I'm doing. Josh made the recommendation to move the battery to the outside, and mount it as far forward as possible. We return to the tent and I help Drew sort it out. At this point, it's becoming more of a mission for me to get him in the air. We get the CG sorted out, but it's now time for the all-out combat and he really wants to be part of it. He somehow convinces his mom to let him use her Nutball, but we have the same problems on it with the CG. I'm not sure why we didn't use the Fogey powerpod -- I think he wanted to make sure it was setup for the Fogey. We only had 10 minutes before the combat began, so I rushed to make the changes to move the battery outside, check the CG on the nutball, and check the control surfaces. He was so excited to get in on the combat, that he wanted to fly with the elevator reversed. I couldn't let him do that, so I insisted on sorting that out while we walked to the flight line with this strange TX I had never seen before. I figured out how to reverse the elevator, and got the TX in his hand in time for him to launch. Unfortunately, I think he launched without enough elevator and the nutball went into a powered landing after flying 10 ft. Now, all this time, I was warning him about maidening it for a combat flight, but he just wanted to go for it. I felt like there was nothing I could do other than to make sure he had the best chance of getting started, which is why I insisted on the CG check and control surface checks. It's funny how this will come up later.

After the combat, we recover the Nutball, and it's surprisingly in good shape. The prop is ok, and all the electronics were good. At this point, he thought the Nutball was underpowered and wouldn't fly. I suggested we just take it to the beginner flight line and get it in the air. Since this was his new TX, we couldn't confidently buddy box, so I just offered to launch it for him, while he had the TX. This time, I told him to give it a little up elevator right at launch. Uhm... I should have emphasized "a little" AND suggested about "50-70% throttle" -- he gave 100% throttle, and full up elevator, which I only realized later when I launched it and it proceeded to perform a perfect loop into a landing. I nearly got another haircut, but pointed out that there's plenty of power in that little plane, and it does fly! At this point, I ask if he wants me to demonstrate a launch and get it into the air for him. Lesson #100: after a crash landing, check everything. It all seemed ok with a cursory check, but as soon as I launched it, the left wingtip folded, but I was able to fly it and land it softly. Back to the build tent for us and some hot glue. At this point in the day, the wind was picking up, and we could tell the storm was about to hit for the evening. I suggested we be more reserved and pack it in for the day and try to watch the live podcast. He agreed and we watched the podcast which turned into a stormy "let's save the FliteTest store tent" adventure.

That little adventure started when Michael Bixler ran up to Andre from Canada, and me shouting about the storm hitting the tent. At this point, I had thought a lightning strike had hit or the wind had already collapsed it, but ran in realizing the panic was to prevent water damage. Unfortunately, the wind did start to pick up, along with the driving rain, which turned it into a save the tent exercise with putting up the front panel and holding up the side poles to ensure it didn't collapse. Eventually, everything calmed down, but that resulted in a new strange sound that a few people mistook for a tornado klaxon. Turns out it was just the generators running / starting. Everyone had a great laugh at the situation, and I snuck away when the rain subsided. As I walked past the hanger to wash up in the shower trailer, I saw the group of volunteers in there busy with building the Giant FT Flyer. This was the around the same time Austin walked in dragging a wet air mattress that Patrick and Asbjorn were using, having recovered their soaked belongings from their campsite that was near mine. We all learned that Patrick's cab hatch was destroyed along with their tent, which meant they were going to spend the night in the hangar. At this point, time sort of gets fuzzy for me, and it feels like it's already been a long week, but I think this was actually just the first official full day of FliteFest!

The next day, I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked into the clean hangar. Saturday for me was mostly spent back working Parking duty, which was more within my comfort range greeting people and playing tetris with their vehicles. The most excitement here involved tryiing to get the dump truck out amidst all the incoming traffic. This ultimately was the more relaxing volunteer experience for me. A few more first aid situations came up this day, starting with Jen Bixler running up with Michael explaining he had burned himself with a hot glue gun. I took him to Doc Ryan (my nickname for CrashRecovery) who expertly helped Mike and entertained him at the same time. It seemed this was quickly followed by several more calls for medic with more razor cuts, and burns affecting kids. All this amidst calls for a PT over the PA.

In the afternoon, after parking slowed down, I somehow found myself near the build tent again, which I had up to now been avoiding. I have to add, when I was at the tent the day before, LazerToyz and Dan saved me. There were countless people coming up to me asking where to get certain bits and pieces to complete their builds -- including Drew, and all I had to do was take them to Dan. Everyone would ask "how much?" for whatever it was they needed, and Dan would just say, "have fun building it!" without taking their money. He made it a point to find me and say "let me know if you need anything to help these folks build" and I was just simply amazed. His generosity was extended to me when it came time for me to buy parts for my FT P51 Mustang kickstarter award right before the live podcast. He sold me everything below cost, and I was left speechless. Turns out this generosity extended into helping the guys with the giant FT Flyer. On a side-note, it was simply amazing for me to meet him in person not only for the build tent experience, but also because he and FliteTest was how I got started with scratch building. I was way too intimidated with ordering individual parts and really didn't know what I was doing anyway. My first build of the FT-22 with the electronics kit ordered from LazerToyz was what got me addicted and how I ended up at FliteFest in the first place.

So, I'm back at the build tent, and I see Drew and his mom. At this point, he's joined by his father and sister, who made the two hour drive from somewhere in PA to join in the fun! Josh is busy with meeting folks, flying their planes, and we saw a window of opportunity to have him buddy box with Drew. I run away to get my TX and buddy box cable, and in my mission to get Drew in the air, completely forget to look over his Fogey. Of course, Josh quickly points out we need to fix his rudder which at this point has started to peel away from the paper due to all the moisture and handling from the last day and a half. I again feel foolish for not having caught this, and now I make it a mission to help Doug prevent the same mistakes. I take him into the tent, and we fix it, after which, I go over an overlong lecture on how important it is to preflight everything after a build, crash, or repair. I even want to take him out to perform a range check, but can't quite get myself to delay him more with all his constant looking around for Josh to see if he would be free. I felt bad enough that I forced him to remove the wing so we could re-adjust the ezjuster/pushrod for his elevator which had a few degrees up reflex at this point and explained how no amount of TX trim would get it to fly right with it set that way.

We found Josh, who I really felt bad for at this time having been out in the Sun, and clearly not having much of a free moment to even grab a water. Noticing that, I grapped a few bottles from the hangar, and handed him one. Yes, water... not MtnDew! He was grateful for it, and I again felt like I finally was able to help in a small way. We finally got things reconnected, but of course, my inexperience showed it's overly large head and Josh found that we didn't setup the TX such that the rudder channel was mixed with aileron. That's mostly because I wasn't familiar with how to do that on the DX5 that acted as the master, and was too lazy/inexperienced to set it up on my DX6i slave. Josh solved that with an on-the-field swap of the servo connection to the RX. He maidened Drews Fogey and trimmed it out on the master TX. He then asked me to hook up my TX with the buddy cord, dialed in some expo based on his maiden, reversed the aileron channel (of course, I couldn't get it set in one go, and had to do it twice). Throughout all my fumbling, Josh and Drew were patient. All the false starts and issues I helped create was erased when I saw the reaction from Drew and his family to see him achieve success on this flight! It was sad that I couldn't have made their first flight experience smoother, but it had a happy ending. I'm super grateful to Josh Bixler for putting up with my inexperience. I think Josh felt bad for Drew with the messy patched bits I was responsible for, and ran into the FT Store tent and came out with a new speedbuild kit of a FT Racer for Drew! I felt like I learned a LOT from this little experience. Likewise, I wish I could have helped the Giant FT Flyer crew more, but I'm really only good for holding things or sticking my hands in small spaces to connect or disconnect things...

If it sounded like I barely flew, it was only because my own flights were rather inconsequential or just typical of what I could do around home. I flew my FT-22 one morning, and tried to get my FT Cruiser up, but the grass was too long for a ROG takeoff, and I just didn't have the confidence to hand launch such a heavy build (that wasn't a Versa wing). Josh happened to be walking by my tent with Alex, and I was able to ask for advice. I ended up thrusting my TX in Joshes hand while Alex launched it. Got some great feedback from Josh about getting some beefy wheels from LazerToyz and moving the CG up a touch more. I also bought a UMX Radian from the TimeFlies vendor, and had some fun relaxing flights with that. Another family I met, Dave (easy to remember) from Tennesee with there with his wife and two boys. As they walked past my tent on the last day (Sunday) in the morning, they came up to me to say hi, and we ended up chatting about his oldest sons new quad copter purchase. One of those little wee ones they were selling for $30 at LazerToyz. I asked if he wanted to fly a fixed wing plane, and pulled out the UMX Radian. I got it high up in the air, and put the TX in his hands. Figured if he can fly a quad, he can fly a three channel glider! He did great, with this dad helping him out. I put the TX in Daves hand next and lauched it for him for the next flight. I think I ended up convincing him that the UMX Radian will be his next purchase...

I think the most fun was being there for the midnight/1am maiden of the Giant FT Flyer, and running it back with Willsonman after the long ROG/RC Car/first attempt to launch, and maneauvering it like a 3D plane, with Peter throwing the sticks in a similar fashion. Watching the impromptu episode being filmed by Dave and Brian was also epic and a great insight on how these are made.

What did I learn? I think I learned to try and temper enthusiasm a bit. Be level headed, and try to do things correctly. I learned how to say "I would't do it that way..." Funny, enough, after Drew got his maiden, I was walking away from the build tent when a guy stopped me and asked if I had any experience with the FT Cruiser. I was finally excited I could help someone with a build I had experience with. Unfortunately, as we chatted while walking to his table, I learned this was his first time building any scratch built plane, and his experience up to now was ARF's or RTF's. I stopped in my tracks. Long story short, I believe I convinced him to start with the Versa wing in a tractor configuration before we arrived at his table with his girlfriend/wife/sister/friend (not sure of relationship) already starting to pull the Cruiser out of the plastic wrap. I explained the Versa will take the same "beef" motor he already had, it'll give him experience with the power pod, and with slight modification, he could reuse it in the Cruiser and will have a head start. The Versa being a quicker build seemed natural. I had personally built several Versas before moving to the Cruiser, so I was basing this on my experience.

Last edited:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
That was indeed a wild night.
We had just moved the charging table away from the side of the main tent at avoid the rain when Josh's son came running up asking for help.

The store tent posts were pushing out and rain was rushing in soaking the clothing and planes!
Jen and Austin's wife were scrambling to secure everything.

I managed to straighten out 2-3 posts before others arrived to help.

We got the front panel of the tent up and tipped over some tables to keep the panels planted. The wind was crazy but with enough bodies we managed to hold the fort.

Great time to chat with everyone while we waited out the storm.

setherson24135

Wanabe care bear
It was most likely the best time I've ever had building. But sadly I missed out on the night fly I hear it was awesome and not joking I woke up to them screaming like a bunch of idiots going " that's awesome!!!!!!!" And missed out on the first day fly to. But I blame that on CrashRecovery. He kind of got exited and forgot to let me know. So even I was there and missed out on all the good stuff.

earthsciteach

Great recap, David! I didn't fly much at all, either. I think I flew five of my own planes once each: Stearman, Cub, Surfer, fpv wing, and combat wing (THAT was a wild ride!). I also flew Monkey's HK250 quad (awesome!) and the Storch (TOTALLY awesome!).

I don't have the focus to write it all out as detailed as Big Mak above, so here's a basic timeline.

1) Picked up Asbjorn at the train station in Lancaster, PA at 9:30 Monday evening. Crash Recovery and I were starting to worry because we had not heard from him all afternoon. I think he touched base around 7:30 pm.

2) Asbjorn schooled me in a bit of fiberglassing on Tuesday. I gave him the Wal-Mart experience. We staged stuff for packing.

3) We packed the truck Wednesday morning and waited for Ryan and Seth to arrive. We had planned on them arriving around 9:30 am and I am pretty sure he pulled in front of my house at 9:30:00. Asbjorn (the Viking) made some ridiculous comment about Ryan's truck being much nicer than mine. Pshhh. Whatever.

4) The two truck caravan pulled out and headed west for Malvern, OH. The drive went quite smoothly. We made a stop at the Midway service plaza for bladder lightening and lunch. Ryan made some comment about my truck, referring to it as the "little red rocket." You gotta keep up, man!

5) Crossed into West Virginny. Ryan was pretty sure I was lost. Squeal like a pig, boy!

6) West Virginia, where your cousin, wife and sister can be the same lady, was quickly left behind and we entered that state that is round on both ends and high in the middle.

7) Let me offer this advice: If you ever want to take a Viking on a road trip to see small town America at its finest, drive Ohio 43 north from 22. He was loving it.

8) About 10 miles south of Malvern is a town called Carrollton. I mention this because a Dollar Tree (home of DTFB) was having a grand opening. I know that isn't very interesting, but about 1/4 mile down the road was a Dollar Tree Market. I didn't know DT had grocery stores. Now, I do and I have patronized them.

9) We arrived in Malvern, Oh at about 3:00 Wednesday afternoon. The first thing we see is Furey Automotive. This must be the right place!

10) In previous careers, the Viking has been a truck driver and a cab driver. He pretty much has a photographic memory when it comes to maps. He also is an avid Google Earth Street View stalker. As I drove through the first (and only) stoplight, he says, "You can turn up here, as well. I look right and that road appears to be the entrance to a lumber yard/hardware store. Indeed it is, but as a second job, it doubles as a legit road. As I drive past, he says, "That's ok, you can turn at the next one, too." I turn at the next one and we quickly arrive at The Furey's homestead. We pull in and park next to the hangar, hop out and Mr. Furey (John) is on his New Holland tractor. We recognize him from the FT episode with his immaculately beautiful Van's RV-7. I ask him if there is a preferred area for us to set up and he directs us to Austin who is out in the East end of the property marking camping spots. As we walk away, I ask Mr. Furey if he really wants to go through with this. He just laughs off the question. Austin takes us to our spot o' ground for the next few days.

11) As we are setting up camp, Josh B rolls in towing a trailer. He stops and says, "hi!" In the right seat is none other than our very own benevolent dictator, Flying Monkey. Fred and I exchange the obligatory insults. As I stick my head in the truck to shake Josh's hand, I notice someone who was to become one of my favorite people of the weekend, the lovely Mrs. Jen Bixler. What a nice lady! Neither of the two guys up front introduced her. Bad form, gents. ;) So I introduced myself.

12) Everything gets kind of blurry from this point on. I made hot dogs on a small charcoal grill that night. We met our neighbors, Splatwillcrash (Matt) from Sacramento and Dale Koop (eh?) from Vancouver. On the other side were more Canadians. They were vendors from... Oh heck! Someone help me out here! Fred came down and chowed with us. Also met Trimax (Kurt) who is local to Malvern and makes some kick a$$ multi frames! The weather was AMAZING! Perfect camping weather that night. David Mak came rolling in sometime late that evening or very early the next morning.

I am running out of steam, so I'll come back and continue later.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Patrick, was it crazy uncle Gary from great hobbies? I rolled in about 11:30pm Wednesday.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
MakAttack,

You were a monster when it came to digging in and helping in any way you could, and your help on Friday along with several others, made the build tent the success it was. Serious kudos for all you did.

Hate to say it, but going in, "The Build Zone" was just a concept no one had defined, so when Friday morning rolled around, I was caught flatfooted trying to sort out what we had to make what we needed. It's guys like you that pitched in, took the ideas and made them real.

Overall, everyone there made mistakes, but each person who saw the mistake did what they could to fix it on the spot, and learned from it. That made all the difference in the world.

We still need to work on how to better manage the charging area (so we don't have breakers trip unnecessarily or people burn out someone else's charger), and how to better link people who have built model "X" with people who want to build model "X". Plenty of room for improvement, but for what it was, that was the happening place to be :)

(BTW, I take full blame for the electrifying experience -- I should have *NEVER* left the plug next to the gene, and I *DO* know better. really glad it was nothing more than a scare)

crash bandicoot

I am a beginner/intermediate flyer and had a great time at Flite Fest.
I drove from Kansas City to get there, and it was worth it.
My dad and grandfather decided to tag along, which also made it fun, they are both not in the hobby so it was fun to show them all the things that R/C can do now.

My favorite things were:
Seeing planes from highway 43 and knowing I was close.
The noise of all the planes flying.
Showing off my scratch built Dornier 335
Taking pictures with Bixler and Mr. Zvada.
Seeing what people are capable of making, like the Klingon Bird of Prey, the bat wing, the big box planes.
Seeing quads with FPV setup for the first time.
Seeing a 3D plane in person for the first time.
The moment when my dad found my UMX coursair after I had been looking in the field for 20 minutes for it.
Ohio is a very pretty state. Interstate 77 is a pretty stretch of road
Hills. We don't have a lot of very big hills in Kansas City.

Things that were not great.
Flying with the wind to my back for the first time ever
The Red Roof Inn in North Canton.
The NFL Hall of Fame ($25, really?)
Construction on I-70 and I-71- the trip up to Malvern took 4 hours longer than it did on the way back.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Since I wasn't able to make it I really love your stories. Please keep them coming.

Also: "electrifying experience"? :eek:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
yeah, I got to run a 120v conductivity test . . . and I am still conductive :p

We were in process of wiring up power for the tent -- all properly boxed and grounded -- but I left the plug end next to the gene. The guys running the bouncy castle wanted to power back up again, and called for someone to "plug it in", and not knowing that we were working on the line, he plugged the wrong wire in. Got the shock (not the first time I've felt 60hz :p ), dropped the box, and ran for the gene. Again, my fault -- I know proper lock-out-tag-out procedures, and know better than leave an unlabled plug next to an outlet if I'm working on the wiring. Just glad Dave wasn't hands-on-wires at the box he was finishing up.

Earthsciteach, when you come back to finish the story, as you promised, please include all the details on the Storch. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the release of the plane. Give us details on the plane, and on your experience flying it. Thanks in advance.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Flite Fest 2014. It was awesome.

Awesome is so overused, but it's very accurate here. I was left in awe at the efforts and skills of the volunteers that made this event the overwhelming success it was.

As mentioned in some of the posts, there was lots of "direction" that was left to be desired. (My fault, I admit) That being said, you guys really dug in, made some excellent decisions, and performed well beyond any reasonable expectations.

earthsciteach was thrown into the registration tent with some materials, a few other volunteers, and a huge task ahead of him. He and his group of volunteers developed the system that allowed for hundreds of people to be quickly and efficiently processed so they could go on to enjoy the event.

Craftydan lived up to his name and took the absolute zoo that the build tent could have been and created an atmosphere that parents and children will be able to remember as happy memories for years to come.

Asbjorn was amazing, and paid the price (he was the tallest lobster I've ever met). Not only did he roam the flight line providing answers and assistance, he aided in flight training, registration, build tent, and I think even parking. For a man who travelled so far to enjoy this event, he went above and beyond to do the dirty work behind the scenes.

makattack… darn it David, you kicked ass. You have been universally recognized as the man who went above and beyond as a volunteer. I can't thank you enough.

This is just a small sample of the many people who made this event possible. The Flite Test crew was great. Austin was a machine. I've been an event coordinator, and I haven't handled the stress and frustration of an event with the grace and patience that he exhibited.

Most of all, I was left in awe of the generosity and hospitality that John and Dianne Furey showed to all of us. They put as much if not more effort into this event than any of the rest of us. They let us invade their home, trample their yard, and keep them awake late into the night. Yet Dianne cooked for us, and John tackled any task that was left unattended for more than a few seconds, and let us drive his brand new Polaris.

The entire event was AWEsome. Thanks to all of you for making it so.

Flying Cirkus

FlyingMonkey, thanks for those kind words.. Us scandinavians and Ohio sun arent real friends.. :mad:

INCREDIBLE, is all i can say about the entire experience.

From earthscitheach that greeted me and let me into his home.
All you other volunteers that treated me as a old friend.
The FT crew for being who you are, down to earth good guys!!
Mrs.Bixler for providing a hat so the lobster didnt completely overcook..

And not to forget the hosts themselvs.. the Fureys... Austin for his amazing coordination skills, and his parents for having us all at their field.

Last but not least, easy to forget, the people that came to the event.. I met loads of genuine polite folks that provided the cream on top of the cake we now can call a Successfull FTFF2014!!!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Thanks FlyingMonkey, Fred, for the kind words! I was in awe of your taking on the very scary challenge of volunteer wrangler/guy who get's things done. Not only did you take on the challenge, you rocked it with patience, dedication, and grace. I kept hearing rumors that there might have been one or two folks out of everyone who were unpleasant and selfish, but that type of person seemed about as real as Bessie -- the Loch Ness Monster. Thanks for letting me fly your quad. I'm definitely inspired and charged up a battery for the nanoqx to get used to flying those before building the electrohub up as a Y/tricopter.

Flying Cirkus, yours and EarthSciTeach's ability to persevere through having all your belongings soaked and underwater was inspirational to observe. Did your phone end up working Asbjorn?

CraftyDan -- I learned a lot of great things from observing your actions all weekend.

Matt (SplatWillICrash), thanks for letting me draw power from your generator, recommending the UMX Radian, and sharing your supplies along with your guidance with the parking tasks.

Thanks to Devin and Andy (from Sheffield) for helping out with my incessant questions in the build tent, along with sharing your sand paper, and other tools.

To the two gents walking around with the swing-wing F14 foamie scratchbuild, who helped me with figuring out the buddybox system, thanks for helping Drew in getting a memorable first flight on his first scratch build!

It was also great chatting with Steve Schwartz(sp?) while working parking, he was a machine who just wouldn't/didn't need to be relieved. I'm glad to hear you got to fly a little, and was able to catch up with Steve Zvada -- listening to your stories of full scale aviation, gliders and pulls, balloon flight, and even a bit of RC stuff was great!

I know I left out tons of folks, including Anthony from ImmersionRC, Dan from Lazertoyz, the Furey, the Zvada, and the Bixler families (it sure felt like a family run event)! I can't forget Brian and his mom for the delicious cookies, and both him and Dave for their unobtrusive professionalism with the camera rigs that come with their duties. Again, I feel terrible I left out many more folks who made this event special, but I can't write another 1000 word essay!

Last edited:
Loads of fun, tons of cool things happened all around me. The two stories I'll tell till the day I die though, were the two times I bumped into Josh Bixler. The first time, I was actually tracking him down about a Funbat vs Bloody Wonder shootout, which he graciously agreed to, but we never got it to fruition. But while just talking I says to "This place is great! I just bought airplane parts from a clearance bucket! @ bucks for the fuse, 2 bucks for the tail!" Bixler gets all serious and says "Man, I love you!" LOL! Saturday night, I was in the build tent, and Bixler needed some hot glue, and came to the table next to me. I was having some discussion with the guys around me, about whether or not it would screw with the EDF in my Viggen, to put a vertical piece of foam lengthways in the intake duct, to mount lights on. So I asked the celebrity at the next table. "He mystery guy in the black shirt, what's YOUR take on this? Would it mess with the EDF?" He very matter of factly says "Oh, it doesn't matter." I was visibly baffled, as I expected "good" or "bad". He then added "Whatever you lose in EDF power, you're gonna make up for in AWESOMENESS!" Decision made!
Now I have a Viggen that does this!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=815774208442194&set=vb.100000288680768&type=2&theater

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Last weekend, I was cut, sliced, poked, prodded, stabbed, bitten, stung, crimped, singed, burned (multiple times, including the face), scalded, electrocuted, dehydrated, exhausted, drenched, sunburned, scared, panicked, chased, and spanked (by a 4yo :eek: ).

The planes I fly have been soaked, dragged, torn, stained, shot down, been bullied, bullied others, motors smoked, **Landed on**, had battery puffed and hatch ejected (same flight), tail ripped off, wings warped and just general minor hanger rash . . .

. . . and a story to go with each that will last a lifetime :)

This has been an amazing event, and everyone just sharing all the stories would be an event of it's own . . . I expect many of which will be regaled around the fire at future FTFF's for years to come.

Those who came, know. Those who can in the future, you simply have to come :D

Team_Monkey

How about a late update?
Thursday night my older son and I set up our camper at a local campground for my wife, younger son and nephew to arrive Friday. We then headed to FTFF to set up the pit tent. While setting up the pit tent we met a couple nice families that had traveled in from Missouri and Iowa. After we had the tent mostly set up, Caleb noticed a gentlemen setting up a pup tent that was having trouble so he jumped in and set up the man's tent. He's a good kid. :) Little chit-chat with neighbors and one night flight with my Slowboat then we headed back to the camper.

Friday we got to the field around 11AM after having a nice breakfast at the camper. Caleb drove his truck around a bit but didn't want to practice flying so I ran through some batteries down on the beginner line. I'm not a beginner but it was close and had open slots. I didn't bring any FT planes so I spent a little time explaining the different planes to passersby. When the rest of the family arrived they got a little FPV flight aboard my Trainer Type Plane but then they wanted to go hang out in the campground pool. They've seen me fly so much at home it's just not new and cool to them anymore. I got in a little flying Friday but spent a fair amount of time talking with neighbors and repairing a few crashes. I had repaired my radio and forgot to reset the aileron trim.

Saturday was just me at the field, my boys wanted to hang with their cousin at the campground. I made some new flying buddies, which is the best part of fly-ins, and did alot of flying. Do you remember the NEAT coverage and the boy that Josh B. gave the original Duster? I ended up sharing charging with them using my PC power supply. Their whole family is just good folks. Also, if the family from Des Moines with two little girls is reading this, PM me so we can hook up for gatherings out there. :D I went for a walk looking for Kevin "Flynn" and found him down by the 3D line. We bummed around together and did even more flying. His large mustang was awesome and the Viggen was moving...until it moved into the ground. :(

I was having a ball buzzing the runway with my coroplast delta. Zoom across, climb vertical and glide around...wash rinse repeat for 4 minutes of fun. :cool: Lots of folks asked how fast it went and I thought in the 80's. I ran the numbers and the math actually said +/-119mph. WOOT! At one point someone came over and said "David is trying to film your delta so do a high speed run past them." I don't know if they got the shot, but I made that side of the flight line jump back with a "Whoa!" There were a couple other speed junkies on site with Radjet Ultra planes using high kv pusher props. those sounded awesome and MOVED!

The Klingon Bird of Prey also flew well and I just kept burning through a few packs in those. I flew my Stinger MKII a couple times but it busted itself..again... on a regular smooth landing so I tore it apart for Viggen parts.

It seemed like Alex would wait for me to land my plane and THEN call for a contest. :rolleyes: SO it was really lucky that I happen to be on the line when they tied the white flappy dude to Peter's cargo plane. I was planning on hitting it anyway so when they called for the contest I was lined up. :) I won a kit!

It was a great weekend but if we are in that area again I'll buy a Verizon pre-pay phone as ATT&T was terrible.

The Q&A was rained out as you know and my planes tried to take flight off the table so we put them on the ground until the wind died enough to make a break for the truck.

Lots of hand shaking, well wishing and tip sharing went on. If I can volunteer next year I'd choose to work in the build tent. Lots of new folks just need a little friendly guidance for safety and success. I look forward to camping on site next year, seeing some of my new friends again and making new ones.

dholcomb

You are very welcome, Sir! I look Forward to your picture!

I finished the Bloody Wonder you gave me at FliteFest. What do you think? I think it turned out pretty good to be sticky paper graphics. Maybe it needs a little poly.

Thanks again,
David...

Bloody.JPG