1.8m Flying Wing Restoration - 3D printing, filler putty and sanding

omgsparks

Hello everybody!

This is actually a thread regarding an already completed project. I hope this is OK with forum rules. I wanted to post about it since I have recently started following a bunch of build threads on here. I am hoping somebody enjoys it and that we can exchange ideas and experience.

A will do a summary here with some key pictures of progress and finished product. A full thread can be found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2668918

The project started when a friend at the flying field forced a pair of huge balsa wings on me. He had apparently managed to crash it nose first. The original fuselage was obliterated but the wings were pretty much untouched.

The original model was a flying wing called "Lightning Dart" made by Richmodel.

As a coincidence I also got my hands on a 1300W helicopter engine. Some quick calculations revealed that I could get somewhere around 4.5kg of static thrust out of it. This got my nerd gears turning. This had potential to become a very interesting model.

I decided to also try to utilize a recent interest of mine. CAD-design and fabrication using 3D-printing. I was at this point eager to use 3D-printing in more project as I wanted to gain as much experience as possible with it. This project also looked like a good candidate for it, since I had a good margin with regards to flying weight. Weight of 3D-printed objects is often a constraint, but on this model I would not have to worry too much about it.

So after some calculations and cg-balance testing I had a design ready

Here is a rendering with wings.

Without wings in profile

The fuselage features two scoops in the front for air intake.

The air is then transferred to the ESC and engine using internal air channels.

I then started printing. I split the fuselage into 4 separate pieces to fit in my 200x200x200mm printer. Each piece took about 25-30 hours to print.

I had to print the whole thing a few times. Problems like power outages, pieces falling over on the printer build plate, mechanical failure in the printer, design errors etc. In total I estimate that I was printing for about 250 hours to finish this model.

Here is a timelapse of the process on one piece. It’s a bit like “watching paint dry” for 25 hours…

Here are the four final pieces on my workbench. In front are plugs that fit into sockets on each surface to simplify alignment of the pieces when gluing.

All glued and ready for surface preparation.

I did a few layers of putty, combined with filler spray and sanding. Here are two pictures taken at different stages during that process.

I did that for quiet some time. Putty, filler and sanding. I lost count before I was satisfied with the surface. With the base surface done it was time for painting. High gloss black. I did several layers of black, and finished off with high gloss clear coat varnish.

Here are some pictures of the final product.

Here is a video and a picture and a video from the day of the maiden.

Another flight video

Hopefully somebody finds this interesting. I sure enjoy the other build logs in here!

mactek

Wow this is a very cool project. The end results look amazing. Any chance you would be willing to share the stl files for your fuselage. I have an old wing sitting on the shelf and that fuse would look amazing on it.

omgsparks

Thanks for the compliments!

mactek: I can share the files in Autodesk Fusion 360 if you want. You will definitely have to change dimensions to make it work with your wings. PM me and I can share it with you

nistrum

hey man, great concept but there are things you can do to make life a lot less painful. what %infill where you using on those parts? they looked almost solid. no wonder they took 24 hrs. also how did you build the wings?

ive been tempted to build something using my printer but it seems like a lot of work when hot glue and foam are so easy :p

::EDIT:: nm just saw where the wings came from :p::EDIT::

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
That fuse is ridiculously gorgeous! The finishing work is just incredible - I'd never guess it was from a 3D print. The design is awesome too. Those flowing organic lines look very futuristic while still being functional.

How much infill did you use? I bet you could knock down the amount of infill without compromising strength too much. That would also cut down on the print time.

Really nice work there!

omgsparks

hey man, great concept but there are things you can do to make life a lot less painful. what %infill where you using on those parts? they looked almost solid. no wonder they took 24 hrs. also how did you build the wings?

ive been tempted to build something using my printer but it seems like a lot of work when hot glue and foam are so easy :p

::EDIT:: nm just saw where the wings came from :p::EDIT::

Infill is of course something I researched and tested. The parts are between 10% and 20% infill. Tolerance for lower infill is very dependent on how the top layer is designed. Each part was printed with the lowest amount of infill that still made it possible to close the top layer without "scars" showing.

24 hrs for the size of the parts is not very much with a 0.4mm nozzle. Contrary to what you suggest, infill has very little to do with it. Nozzle size and layer height could have made big differences, but I was in no hurry.

omgsparks

That fuse is ridiculously gorgeous! The finishing work is just incredible - I'd never guess it was from a 3D print. The design is awesome too. Those flowing organic lines look very futuristic while still being functional.

How much infill did you use? I bet you could knock down the amount of infill without compromising strength too much. That would also cut down on the print time.

Really nice work there!

Thank you for the kind words! I touched on the infill thing in my reply above this. My bet is a larger nozzle and larger layer height. But I was in no real hurry. The printer does all of the work anyways ;)

omgsparks

Hello! I just finished up a video of the wing flying. Both onboard and ground footage. Hope you like it!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I do not normally comment of individual builds unless they are some what exceptional. Sadly this is one such build!

Well done, nice tech and great workmanship!

Enjoy!

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
What an amazing build! No desire to build a FPV camera into the nose :devil:?

omgsparks

What an amazing build! No desire to build a FPV camera into the nose :devil:?

I have definitely thought about it. But since it is a relatively heavy and large aircraft, with a short flight time, that needs a landing strip I greatly enjoy flying it line of sight. I guess the video link is another thing that could fail and requires setup time before each flight. And since it is so large I never have a problem seeing it in the distance even when flying fast. I love FPV, but I usually put it on small fast craft :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words!