17" Delta Flying Wing, Using Mostly UM Stryker Internals

Rockonmyfriend

First of all, let me say there wasn't any planning ahead that went into this build... First thing I did was fold the airfoil, and it kinda went straight to improv, meaning hacking away foam with the Xacto knife.

Story: I used to own a Parkzone Ultra Micro Stryker... I used to, I crashed it terribly. I still had the electronics and I've been wanting to do SOMETHING with all the internals for a very long time. Well, Flite test has inspired me to get into builfing with foam board, ever since I found them on youtube.

I saw flite test's video on youtube when the crew was at last year's Joe Nall and I saw that guy's mini versa wing, so I thought I'd show y'all this! It's my frankenstein 17" flying delta wing... Thingy... Not even close to one sheet of foam... I got it to fly for awhile before it started raining, and the cg is pretty close to decent with 1/2 ounces of weight in the nose... Took me maybe an hour or two of work to build and I'll probably end up scrapping the foam and building a new body once I destroy this one, or get a better idea... Which might take awhile, i crashed it at least 20 times figuring out that it was ridiculously tail heavy.

Motor mount is made out of stacked up foam board, and the motor is basically just hot glued to it... It's survived the 20 crashes or so it took for me to find the thing's CG, so I guess plane is fine?

Parts:
- dollar tree foam
- Spektrum AR6400NBL (neat built in ESC!)
- E Flite park 180 motor
- 200mah 2s 25c lipo
- E-Flite 3.5-gram digital sub-micro servos (required special adaptors to fit into the RX, the only thing I had to purchase for this build.

Please, Please! Feel free to ask me any questions, and give me advice, sometime i'm gunna rip out all the electronics and build something better.

I would love it if anyone could give me some advice, as I am very new to the world of flying wings!
wing1.jpg wing4.jpg wing2.jpg wing3.jpg wing5.jpg

Rockonmyfriend

update!

I built cut out some foam in the rear to bring the CG forward. I really wanted to get some good flight time before I tore it up and completely redesigned the plane. I traced and cut out some triangles in the wing, and just out masking tape over the holes to cover them. It's still pretty heavy, but I was able to keep it up in the air for a whole battery before a nice landing this time! Much better, even in the wing. Especially for a crappy yank and bank wing. The ribs on the bottom definitely help, I was told by a guy at the field that rudders aren't always enough, and ribs on the bottom dramatically improve the flight characteristics. I'm definitely going to abuse this plane for awhile before building a new one. IMG_5149.JPG

Flyingninja

Pretty cool!
I think those triangles you cut out could be causing a ton of wind resistance. I would cover them with paper.
Overall I think it is a good concept but could use a little fine tuning.