Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
My order was pulled the day after I ordered (Amazon has me spoiled), but delivery started the day after i ordered.

Good news is I filed my taxes while waiting, came in third day after order.

There were random holes in the tail feathers where the carbon was added. still scratching my head at the tail braces trying to decide what glue to use?

30 mph winds today and another 3 days of rain at MEM..... torture!!!

Justin

kacknor

Build another!
My order was pulled the day after I ordered (Amazon has me spoiled), but delivery started the day after i ordered.

Good news is I filed my taxes while waiting, came in third day after order.

There were random holes in the tail feathers where the carbon was added. still scratching my head at the tail braces trying to decide what glue to use?

30 mph winds today and another 3 days of rain at MEM..... torture!!!

Justin

Holes are the supports to position the rod during the injection molding process. I didn't get that far on the support. Tab broke off. Whatever you choose, prep it first, bend it once.

JD

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Thank you sir!

The clear plastic tabs on the h-stab braces broke right off :( , time to fire up the 3d printer and print some fittings for these carbon rods! it would be nice if they would supply a fix on thingiverse, or their product support page.

Emailed Durafly:

"In the process of installing Horizontal Tail Brace and the clear plastic tab (larger square tab) broke at the crease in step 1 on both sides.

Also, what type of glue is recommended for this option?

Thank you.

Justin"

Will post reply.

Justin

Last edited:

kacknor

Build another!
Thank you sir!

The clear plastic tabs on the h-stab braces broke right off :( , time to fire up the 3d printer and print some fittings for these carbon rods! it would be nice if they would supply a fix on thingiverse, or their product support page.

Emailed Durafly:

"In the process of installing Horizontal Tail Brace and the clear plastic tab (larger square tab) broke at the crease in step 1 on both sides.

Also, what type of glue is recommended for this option?

Thank you.

Justin"

Will post reply.

Justin

First thing I thought when it broke was a 3D printer flat tab with a rod insert. Both sides, one glued, one screwed. No printer here however. I've got all kinds of needs for one now. Quick release wing mounts, quick release wing strut. Ditto on floats. Something that uses the spring clip pins. Anything to avoid those tiny little (very!) stripable screws in (very!) stripable plastic.

There is already a guy on youtube fitted a bigger motor. Somebody will make $$ of me yet. ;)

Can't put the thing in my car with wings on. those issues will be a problem sooner or later.

Let us know how it goes with HK. I'm still waiting on word about an out of the box torn elevator hinge.

JD

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Response from Durafly 12 Feb:

"Hi.

Contact glue, like UHU Por etc, then you don't need the tail brave kit at all (so I mean just simply glue the tail in).

S."

Justin

kacknor

Build another!
Response from Durafly 12 Feb:

"Hi.

Contact glue, like UHU Por etc, then you don't need the tail brave kit at all (so I mean just simply glue the tail in).

S."

Justin

That will work. I just did a few repairs to the wing mounts. Nothing special. Had plans to upgrade to quick release in some way, but the urge to fly it overcame my desire to modify. ;) Just added epoxy and drilled new screw holes. But, as soon as the weather cooperates, it's airborne again.

JD

jipp

this looks like a good plane.. how big are the wheels? where i live my desert floor is a bit rough.. i think i may need all models i get to have big wheels. LOL.

iv decided im gonna buy a AXN i think.. strap some of these boots to it and bring on the desert i say eh. laughs.

I ordered a champ today to learn how these planes fly in my front yard.. just flown quads up to this point. so yeah, i can fly the planes fine in the simulator so im not to concern about it.. but I figure id go with the champ, then for my second plane the AXN. bruce from rc model review on youtube.. he recommends it and from his xjet Chanel you just can not kill a axn, just look at some of the axn planes from xjets videos they are more hotglue than foam now. LOL. i swear i wont let my axn become more glue than foam.. :) unfortunately i only found one place that sells them so we will see if i get one but id pretty sure if i can get one that will be it. but hey ill have the champ in a week or so. they look fun too and i can use my nano qx batterys with it.. two for one..

chris.

Last edited:

DutchRC

Yeah.. this a nice cub-like plane indeed.. I don't know the actual size, but dessert.. Depends on how bumpy the surface is offcourse :)

Yeps.. a plane like the AXN (or Bixler etc) is Ideal as a beginner plane.. Especially because a nose-in crash won't bust up the motor (and mount)

jipp

yeah plus i like the idea of catching some thermals, i live in the desert so may as well take advantage of the darn things.. the birds of pray do all the time.. i love watching them just glide up there all smug like its nothing for what seems like forever with out a flap! :) which seems that style of plane likes gliding and yeah protect props will save money in the long run ( iv seem some things you can do to beef them up to make them more bullet proof so thats the plan as of today, but im a libra i always change my mind. LOL ).. yeah the desert can be a bit rough.

i do like cubs, you should make it a short wing cub and go 3d :p heh.

chris.

jipp

well i think iv changed my mind. i think im gonna go wit h the Sport Cub S BNF ( now i need some big wheels like yours dutch :p found some 1 1/2" jobs. laughs ), i can throw my elite micro camera on it.
and i can bind it to my dx6i has 4ch for the same size of plane.

my order has not been processed yet, so i have until Wednesday for my final decision. told ya i change my mind. LOL

so impulse buys are sometimes better for me.. like i bought some Z bend pliers today for future projects.. if i would of thought about it would of found some reason to talk my self out of them.. go figure. :D like i do have needle nose pliers.. see damn being a Libra. :D but the pliers are in the mail.. and a quick 30.00 down the hole. :(

chris.

HawkMan

Cubs are nice planes like the Tundra and similar(like my beaver) they are however not beginner planes. I mean they're not hard planes to fly, but they can be unforgiving, especially if you fly them at low speeds.

jipp

Cubs are nice planes like the Tundra and similar(like my beaver) they are however not beginner planes. I mean they're not hard planes to fly, but they can be unforgiving, especially if you fly them at low speeds.

yeah i have lots of hours on the sim.. and can fly my quads ok, even if i fly like a nana :D

this one comes with noob features tho:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cub-s-bnf-with-safe-reg;-technology-hbz4480

i think ill be ok. i do spend a lot of time flying in the sim, and of course flying quads around here and in the sim.

id imagine the clipped wing cub would be a handful.

but just like flying the quads if you are not breaking props you are not flying.. but yeah hopefully i do not break to many parts a glue gun can not fix.. but a noob has to learn one way or the other i guess. laughs.
chris.

kacknor

Build another!
this looks like a good plane.. how big are the wheels? where i live my desert floor is a bit rough.. i think i may need all models i get to have big wheels. LOL.

Wheels are 5" and weigh about 22 grams each. Material is EPP moulded over plastic rims.

JD

jipp

wow, the plane is much bigger that i thought.. i did not think they were so big. thank you. heh 5" wheels on a 24" wing span plane. yeah thats the ticket. :D
perfect size for desert landings tho/ im bad about judging size in videos and pictures..
chris.

Last edited:

kacknor

Build another!
Yeah, Tundra is about 51" give or take. The wheels allow it it taxi and takeoff in grass while the prop is mowing it. ;)

I managed 1.5" wheels (Dubro foam, I think) on my old Sport Cub s. Pretty beat up now, but I'm much better pilot for it. The former main gear are tail wheels on 25" to 30" planes.

20151202_134253_a.jpg

JD

jipp

looks like you have got your money out of your cub s. i put my order in for the cub s today and ordered same dubra foam wheels.. thanks for the tip.. should work perfect for my rocky roads around here.. the rocks wont be to big where ill be at unless i crash into the desert off to the side of my house other wise the drive/front road is small grade of rocks so this will work perfect.

now i need to upgrade my prop balancer. ill be happy when i have the majority of the tools for this hobby so i can waste my money on air frames/parts :D

chris.
chris.

kacknor

Build another!
looks like you have got your money out of your cub s. i put my order in for the cub s today and ordered same dubra foam wheels.. thanks for the tip.. should work perfect for my rocky roads around here.. the rocks wont be to big where ill be at unless i crash into the desert off to the side of my house other wise the drive/front road is small grade of rocks so this will work perfect.

now i need to upgrade my prop balancer. ill be happy when i have the majority of the tools for this hobby so i can waste my money on air frames/parts :D

chris.
chris.

Welcome. If you are thinking prop balance for this Cub s, I wouldn't bother. Small, light, and not powered enough to make a difference worth spending money on.

I have gotten my money's worth out of it. Was not my first plane, but close. I keep trying to kill it but I always find a way to repair it. Just put in a new motor and repaired an unfortunate decapitation incident. Lol

JD

gtvrb

I have been looking at this plane but I have a very small car. Pretty much anything is going to have to have the wings come off for transport. I didn't buy the cub because the guy at the hobby shop said the wing struts would not survive always taking the plane apart. How are the mounting points? Plastic? Do you think they would wear out quickly with a lot of use.
Thanks
Robert