80 mm edf with 80 amp esc

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You won't get max power out of the EDF if you undersize the ESC. Burst power of short duration may be OK, but not great. You don't want to be running full throttle much.

LUMBERCAVER

You won't get max power out of the EDF if you undersize the ESC. Burst power of short duration may be OK, but not great. You don't want to be running full throttle much.
I'm setting a throttle limit really don't want to fly max throttle a lot anyways

dap35

Elite member
I would not short yourself on the ESC. You will need full throttle at some point for something unimportant like take off. EDF's are not as efficient as a prop and need the extra amps.

LUMBERCAVER

I would not short yourself on the ESC. You will need full throttle at some point for something unimportant like take off. EDF's are not as efficient as a prop and need the extra amps.
this is a hand launch and with full efficency would be well over 2:1 weight ratio i think i will be okay.

quorneng

Master member
LUMBERCARVER
Your proposal means if you ever use full throttle the ESC will be over loaded. Some ESCs can handle a few seconds of over load but many can't. The general guide is to over specify the ESC by 20% to account for variations in the ESC manufacture, marketing hype about its capabilities and variations in the capabilities of the EDF.

Yes you can limit the amps drawn by an EDF by not using full power but it is a risk and EDF flying tends to be risky enough as it is is.
Remember an ESC is an "electronic" device. if it fails it does so instantly and without any prior warning.