Another attempt at aerial video.

StuartPB

I've got a Phantom 3 Pro and enjoy using it to capture aerial video. I'm definitely still at learner level when it comes to that and also to post production of video too. I recently made a Hackintosh out of my PC, so I could use Final Cut Pro X for the post production. I'd previously had Windows 10 installed and was using Adobe After Effects. The performance of that on my rig was dire though. With Final Cut Pro X and OS X the performance is massively better!

I captured some footage the other day, with the following settings and equipment:

Phantom 3 Pro - recording at 4k - 25fps, ISO 100 and using an ND8 filter.

Applied Luma Key and Colour balance in FCP.

Here's the end result:

I noticed a couple of problems after the render. The video was much too dark in places and there was something kooky happening with the clouds at some point in the video with them juttering but the rest of the scene moving nicely.

I'm getting a bit more confident in flying the Phantom now, even daring to try the point of interest and follow me features :D

StuartPB

We've been enjoying a change in the wet and windy weather here in my part of the UK, cold but sunny and just a gentle breeze. So I wanted to take advantage of that and get some stick time in. Here's a video from the flight I made around our local park.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Looks good. The only thing I would pick on is the turns. The speed of your turning shots is a lot faster than the other copter moves. Is there a way to turn that down or is it all stick control?

slightly off topic but you might enjoy the video editing tutorials this guy is putting together https://www.youtube.com/user/fhagan02/videos

StuartPB

Yep I knew the turns were pretty crap. They were partly a result of me using my thumbs on the sticks and that my hands were pretty numb due to the cold. On a couple of my videos my hands were actually shivering while trying to maintain a smooth flight with the sticks. I've tried wearing gloves but I couldn't get on with them. Roll on the summer!! :eek:

I'll check that tutorials out, thanks for the link.

EDIT: Just visited the link, looks like a great resource there and hopefully plenty of useful advice :) Thanks again!

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
The only thing I could find on yaw control for smooth video was to put a longer stick on that control. Apparently, DJI does not do expos???

StuartPB

Hi, There are settings available for Gain and Expo in the DJI Go software. This video explains where they are and the presenter has set his yaw for exactly the same reason as you are considering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flxXdzcLO2w

Top stuff! I'll give it a go and see if it helps. I did try extending the sticks as far as they go and I also tried the two finger pinch holding style but it feels clunky when I'm not using my thumbs. The only changes I've made in the settings were for the camera and the gimbal wheel speed. I was hesitant to change the expo and gains as I like the way it flies at stock, but if it helps with the video it's worth trying. I'm sure the cold weather didn't help though as numb hands meant I was over/ under manoeuvring at times.