Anyone else having problems with the wind

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
I heard that the b models are more reliable. I like that word after my goblin crash. Plus there only like $4 more.

bisco

Elite member
i've been flying for two years. the wind sttarting late last fall through now has been much worse than the previous 18 months.
i flew very little this winter and spring so far, compared to the same period last year. very discouraging, especially the gusts.
today 10-15 mph with 20-30mph gusts.

Raisin27

They're actually pretty nice. The hobby eagle A3 is a good beginner gyro, then if you want return to home and/or geofencing, there is this sparrow one I have, and for 30 bucks, it does a great job. You can obviously go up into the hundreds of dollars on flight controller set ups depending on what you want. I prefer them when I fly FPV because it helps keep the plane stable and gives you truly hands off flying even in pretty strong winds. One less thing to worry about. Plus if you get mixed up or lost you can always flip return to home and the plane flies back to you.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...a0b36a24a4da0666868c6773e5b&afSmartRedirect=y
Oh yea I definitely like using them for flying fpv
They're actually pretty nice. The hobby eagle A3 is a good beginner gyro, then if you want return to home and/or geofencing, there is this sparrow one I have, and for 30 bucks, it does a great job. You can obviously go up into the hundreds of dollars on flight controller set ups depending on what you want. I prefer them when I fly FPV because it helps keep the plane stable and gives you truly hands off flying even in pretty strong winds. One less thing to worry about. Plus if you get mixed up or lost you can always flip return to home and the plane flies back to you.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...a0b36a24a4da0666868c6773e5b&afSmartRedirect=y
Oh yea for fpv flights I definitely like having gyros on in case the fpv battery would ever die in me mid flight. And for 30 bucks I'll definitely look in to getting one. Thanks for sharing the link.

Raisin27

i've been flying for two years. the wind sttarting late last fall through now has been much worse than the previous 18 months.
i flew very little this winter and spring so far, compared to the same period last year. very discouraging, especially the gusts.
today 10-15 mph with 20-30mph gusts.
Dang yea it always sucks when the wind just keeps on blowing.

Draftman1

I know you texans think everything is bigger down there but you ought to try Wyoming wind some time! 😂

They call Chicago the Windy City?? Yeah right, Wyoming winds will blow the, off the map

Last week here in Cheyenne, 50. Gusting 70, 4 days straight.

Piotrsko

Master member
You all just need a 100 ft high hill or maybe a V shaped 20 story apartment building. means I can finally fly the fast sloper again.

Everyone in the NW needs to get used to this, gonna be like this for the next week

mastermalpass

Elite member
It's been getting windier than forecast here as well. Not as strong as Wymoning probably but still, feeling like 20mph when the forecast said 12.

Been trying to come up with ideas for a wind-proof plane. I'm thinking something with a flatter profile like the YF-23, EDF, maybe throw in some thrust vector.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Same in South florida. 2/3 planes in my fleet have not had a maiden flight due to the insane 30 mph wind gusts rn.
Outside of the occasional hurricane, I think Florida is on the opposite end of the scale. 30mph gusts is a light breeze! 😂 having learned to surf in California, i was amused to see the red flags go up on the beach just about the time waves were getting high enough to do more than boogie board! 😉

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Nothing like these other folks but yes. Enough wind and or rain on a daily basis to curtail flying and other outdoor activities for weeks and weeks now.

Piotrsko

Master member
Strap a 10" crescent wrench on it. Until the wing folds, or you jettison the wrench it will fly in a hurricane. Approved by me and @CarolineTyler although I recollect she used an 8".

Crashes become spetacular.