Baby Bugatti

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Nah, It's better to use light 3s lipo and go half the throttle and have some emergency power. At least in my opinion :rolleyes:

On a 5x5, 6x3 or 6x4; 2s is nice. You can still throttle back a little (not half), but the really nice thing is it fits and is lighter.

By contrast though, my preferred setup, now that I've flown them so much is 4s! You can really throttle back, like 30-40%, and then punch out like crazy! The prop I like for 4s is a 5x4.5x3. But this requires putting two 2s batteries in series, as I haven't found a long skinny 4s of appropriate size.

JakeTheSloth

i have spare 9 gram servos can i use 9 gram servos instead of 5 grams?

Sure, it was meant to fly with 9g servos. Just make sure the elevator servo is as far back of the plane as you can put it so you won't have CG issues. BTW use 1st or 2nd hole in servo arm or throw will be too high and you won't be able to correct it due to "U" bent pushrod.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, regrettably i will be throwing in the towel, epic fail on this build. my CG is so far off there is no recovery without adding way too much weight. next one will be better. :black_eyed:

laters,

jason ;)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
well, regrettably i will be throwing in the towel, epic fail on this build. my CG is so far off there is no recovery without adding way too much weight. next one will be better. :black_eyed:

laters,

jason ;)

Throwing in the towel on just THIS build, I hope? You gonna cut a new set and start over?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Throwing in the towel on just THIS build, I hope? You gonna cut a new set and start over?

yes, as always with a first attempt at a scratch build you make boo-boo's. i thought i had it till the very end but final balance proved too much. i promise i will be flying one before too long.

thanks for all the builds and vids, i have been building and racing stuff all my life and you can tell when you meet someone who knows what they are doing. i have only been at this rc aircraft stuff for a short while but 2 thumbs up!

laters,

jason ;)

moebeast

Baby Bugatti.jpg

What a fun little plane. Mine needed a slight angle to the right on the motor. A 2s 430 mAhr shoved back as far as possible balanced it out and gave 5 minutes of mostly full throttle
I wish I had loaded up my cut file before FFE. It would have been cool to cut some for the kids. I'm the guy who was running the CNC in the build tent across from your booth.

Thanks for the design. And thanks for the Boeing posters. There was a blank white sheet of heavy paper on your table one evening that I assumed was the wrapping from your posters. It turned into turtle decks for Spitfires and Mini-Mustangs.

Mark

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
View attachment 91665

What a fun little plane. Mine needed a slight angle to the right on the motor. A 2s 430 mAhr shoved back as far as possible balanced it out and gave 5 minutes of mostly full throttle
I wish I had loaded up my cut file before FFE. It would have been cool to cut some for the kids. I'm the guy who was running the CNC in the build tent across from your booth.

Thanks for the design. And thanks for the Boeing posters. There was a blank white sheet of heavy paper on your table one evening that I assumed was the wrapping from your posters. It turned into turtle decks for Spitfires and Mini-Mustangs.

Mark

Awesome!! It's interesting that you had to push the battery back so far...but each one is built unique, I guess! :)

Glad you found a use for that paper, too! :D

And yes; please cut many kits for as many kids that want them. :cool:

moebeast

Awesome!! It's interesting that you had to push the battery back so far...but each one is built unique, I guess! :)

Glad you found a use for that paper, too! :D

And yes; please cut many kits for as many kids that want them. :cool:

My receiver is in the front section and my elevator servo is too far forward with lighter gauge pushrods. I think those differences are to blame.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
In the interest of a more complete record, I made my wing from two pieces joined in the normal manner. It worked fine. I did this to utilize foamboard remnants.

lawrenceyy

I was so excited when I built one of these last week, but later found out that my small 3s 500mAh battery could not fit under the wing. So I scaled up the plans to grow the plane from a 500 mm wingspan to a 700 mm wingspan (largest I could go before the one-piece wing would not fit in the laser cutter I use). That's a comparable wingspan to the FT Sparrow, and weighs about the same too. I redrafted the faceted curves into true vector curves and modified the fuselage so that the bottom is one piece and the hatch is on top.

I will be posting the plans and procedure soon. Should I post them on a new thread so it's more visible?

I took it out for a spin today and it flies well at low and high speeds.

Photo Jul 29, 4 21 42 PM.jpg

Last edited:

MrFowl

Just finished the wing/tail for my heavyweight baby Bugatti. I added some brass rod reinforcement at the tail as a skid, and I added a thick carbon spar in the wing. I have a feeling she'll be a little heavy... ;) How do the heavier Bugattis fly? I'm planning on using 850mah 3s (nano-tech). I'll be using 3g MG servos, and I'm planning on mounting them in the wing (it should be plenty strong with the massive carbon rod I'm using).

Any thoughts?

I'm going to try to figure out how to get a decently round fuselage too so I can throw a folding prop on there.

Last edited:

lawrenceyy

@MrFowl

My baby bugatti only weighs 200g without the battery and ~240g with it. I originally added 20g to the tail, but later found out that I did not need it. The center of gravity for me is about 10mm behind the leading edge of the wing. My plane is scaled 40% larger though (but just a tiny heavier because of additional foam).

MrFowl

Did a quick tape mock-up with the rounded fuselage and weighed it. Came out to 76.7 grams. I'll probably add another 20g in glue so AUW (no electronics) of 95-ish grams ...seems okay. Two 3g servos, a 44g motor (...I know), 20g prop/spinner, 16g esc, 3g reciever, and 70g battery should bring the AUW to 255 grams (9 oz). Anyone flown one this heavy yet? I'll probably add some plastic to the belly too ...even more weight :(

I attached some pictures of the build so far. I think the round fuselage is going to look really good. I added some "scale" intakes to the tail too. Should add 10mph to her top end ;)

20170730_163415.jpg

20170730_163436.jpg

20170730_163505.jpg

20170730_163545.jpg

Last edited:

Winglet

Bigger Bugatti

Will be really interested to see how your larger version works out. I built the origional and it was really tough getting everything arranged inside. The airplane looked really neat in the air but was too small to keep up with (for me anyway) lost orientation on the first flight and crashed. Repaired and flew again for about 4 minutes before loosing orientation and wiping it out. I've printed 200% plans and think I will give it a go. I think it is a great design. Just too small. Larger should solve most of it's problems.:eek:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I've finished formalizing my plans and will be posting them onto a new thread.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. That's awesome! It's probably good to have your own thread to follow its development, but PLEASE share or link the plans here as well! Can't wait to see what you've got! :D

med4life

new builder here

so i have been watching flight tested for some time now and used to fly as a kid. now i have a 6 year old boy and would like to get into flying. so i saw the vlog of the baby bugatti that mid7night made and thought to my self this would be an easy build to get him into the hobby so i downloaded the pdf and printed it all out on paper but i'm not sure how to transfer it to foam board so i can cut it out. dont know if this is the right place to post this but i thought it pertained to the baby bugatti i thought i would post it here. but any help or if there is a video on youtube showing this it would help me out tremendously thanks all.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so i have been watching flight tested for some time now and used to fly as a kid. now i have a 6 year old boy and would like to get into flying. so i saw the vlog of the baby bugatti that mid7night made and thought to my self this would be an easy build to get him into the hobby so i downloaded the pdf and printed it all out on paper but i'm not sure how to transfer it to foam board so i can cut it out. dont know if this is the right place to post this but i thought it pertained to the baby bugatti i thought i would post it here. but any help or if there is a video on youtube showing this it would help me out tremendously thanks all.

i would caution this as a first airplane. it is not easy nor forgiving. it seems counter intuitive but bigger is easier, smaller is harder and less forgiving.

if you really want to get the kid involved and be successful, go to the flite test store and buy the mini-scout speed build kit ($15) and start there. it is a simple build and easy to fly. once you get some building skills and a little flight time on the sticks, then build the baby B. i would also highly recommend a flight sim, Phoenix 5.5 is what i have and it allows you to import many of the FT models. best, cheapest, safest way to learn to fly.

as for the plans, just print, then tape to foam board, then cut. pretty straight forward. make sure you do your score cuts first, then cut out the edges. make sure your printer is set to 100% scale or things will be off.

good luck,

jason ;)