Balsa Kit Manufacturers

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I've wanted to do a 30% C152 for a while. A guy in my club built one and it flew beautiful (until it crashed but that's another story) Only problem is the other name for it is "lots of money" :p

OliverW

Legendary member
I've wanted to do a 30% C152 for a while. A guy in my club built one and it flew beautiful (until it crashed but that's another story) Only problem is the other name for it is "lots of money" :p
Haha for sure. I want to build his luscombe tbh. Just not sure if I'm ready for it yet. I've completed 6 builds now so I'm probably getting close. I just need to finish up my ultimate bipe before I can start dreaming about another airplane

speedbirdted

Legendary member

I met a guy who had assembled a DW Spacewalker (It's not called that, but that's pretty much exactly what it is) and he said it was the worst kit he'd ever assembled. Problems with both the construction and manual everywhere, plus a lot of their included balsa is not exactly light. Initially it looked like it flew pretty good, but then he told me it was only because he substituted a lot of the included wood for lighter stuff. I would hard pass...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Whats a good first balsa plane?

Anything from Will Nillies or Stevens Aeromodel or Laines Planes that fits your flight skills. Links on the first post - all these manufacturers make excellent laser cut kits that are well designed and lots of us here in the forums can help with any questions.

Timmy

Legendary member
Anything from Will Nillies or Stevens Aeromodel or Laines Planes that fits your flight skills. Links on the first post - all these manufacturers make excellent laser cut kits that are well designed and lots of us here in the forums can help with any questions.
Thank you!

TooJung2Die

Master member
Has anybody seen any of these Chinese kits?
Yes! I built the Sunbird (kit F16). My first balsa wood airplane in over 45 years. Joker has a thread here about the Sunbird Build. Because I have worked with wood all my life and because Joker and others documented all the issues it turned out to be a great glider. Not recommended for a first time build though because of the many issues with the instructions and the kit. Joker summed it up when he wrote, "All things considered the design and layout of the SunBird isn't *horrible* ". 😜

I have not built a Steven's or Laine's kit but I'm on my second Willy Nillies. Very good beginner kits. They go together very quick and easy. You have to get your instructions online from Willy Nillies YouTube vids and other build threads. There are no written instructions but I don't find that to be a problem.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

While I'm still very skeptical about the kit, I love the box!

And I don't think they are kidding with their description of kit assembly and flying difficulty levels....

Screenshot 2020-09-25 181332.jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Frankly if I wanted to build a DR.I I would just spend another $75 and get the 1/4 Balsa USA kit which would both have much better technical support and would go together a lot easier. Plus, it'd have much more in the way of scale accessories available for it, 1/4 being a very common size to make large airplanes in.

Yes. I have drooled over that one before. Plus I know it's gasoline engine strong.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Dont forget Sig, they have a great lineup of kits and a joy to build.

Yeah, for anything larger than a small parkflyer Sig and Carl Goldberg kits are some of the best quality AND have useful instructions and tips to help ANY first time builder complete the kit, set it up properly AND have a successful maiden. You'll learn and more importantly understand techniques during the build that you'll continue to use for the rest of your R/C hobby time.

Joe

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Just though I would update this thought...Been working on building the Sig 1/4 scale float kit for the clipped wing cub and the balsa is amazing quality, plus some is laser cut, but the die cut stuff is so good it just falls out and is better than the laser cutting! I have never seen die cutting so good and precise, a big thumbs up to Sig for the quality in the kit.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Yep. Built their little stick. Loved it. Super easy build and high quality wood. Only problem was the instructions were non existent
I've been able to communicate with their Youtube channel with a question I had about their Tiger Moth Kit, so next time that may be a good way to find an answer.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
At Warbirds Over Wisconsin back in 2019 BUSA had a giant scale swizzle stick that I think was a prototype. It flew for 30+ minutes on a tank of gas and looked really stable. I guess that they may still make it one day, but it could be that something came out and that's why it hasn't been mass kitted. Sadly I can't find any pictures on it and I forgot to take any.