Solved Banana/Bullet Plug issues connecting FT Radial 1806 Brushless Motor to BLHeli 20A ESC

jerh

I've recently bought a FT Radial 1806 Brushless Motor and a BLHeli 20A ESC (xt/60). They aren't connecting, I know the male FT motor connectors are be 2mm banana plugs, while the ESC might be 3.5 or 4mm tube. Can anyone confirm what the ESC connector information is? And what would be the most cost effective way of solving this issue? The battery I bought comes with an xt/60 plug which works with the current ESC.

Thanks in advance. (Photos are attached)
tempImageEz2vzt.png
B0C51540-3441-4293-8740-BBAC1BA90D5B_1_105_c.jpeg

Tench745

Master member
The only fix I know of without changing ESC or motor is to buy the right size connectors and solder them on in place of the old ones. I would replace the smaller ones on the motor. If you go smaller on the ESC there is a chance they won't have a high enough amp rating if you ever used it with a larger motor again.

jerh

There are some adapters on amazon, but I'm wondering if those would work(I'm not very sure on how these connectors work, so if I do find a compatible adapter, would the esc still function with the same calibration?), and what size connectors I would need, a 2mm plug to either 3.5mm or 4mm. I have no experience soldiering nor do I have a soldier iron, so I probably can't go down that route. If I do decide to upgrade to a larger motor, I'd be fine with replacing the esc, battery, and motor then, but I want a quick fix for the motor I currently have. Thanks a lot for your help though!

Tench745

Master member
You may know someone who does know how to solder and could either do the work for you, or maybe let you use their equipment and teach you. Soldering isn't hard, but I understand if you don't want to go that route.

I haven't used any adapters, so I don't know how well they work or anything. Measure the inner diameter of the connectors on the ESC and the outer diameter of the connectors on the motor, then you'll know what size fittings you have to know what size you'll need to buy. As far as the electricity knows the connector is just more wire, so you won't have to change any calibration on the ESC or anything.

jerh

Alright, I measured the inner diameter of the tube, and it seems to be 3.5mm. I'm not 100% sure since 3.5mm and 4mm are very close, but I rummaged around the internet and it seems like a lot of other ESC are 3.5mm. I never found any dimensions about the BLHeli. I'll order an adapter and let's hope it's fixed. Thanks so much for your help!

kilroy07

Legendary member
You want/need that connection to be solid.
You'll loose motors and/or ESCs if it isn't. (voice of experience talking)

Hondo76251

Legendary member
If you're going to be in this hobby very long you'll run into this kind of stuff a lot. Id suggest getting a good soldering iron.