Beginner, need recommendations for a good, cheap transmitter

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I'm a firm believe in investing in tools (spend money on quality).
I place a transmitter into that category.
With a Transmitter you are buying into a system.
Some store bought planes are Bind&Fly only and you need a compatible transmitter (like a lot of Horizon stuff).
Some transmitters can use a small external module that will allow a transmitter of one system to work like it's from a different system.
Your choices will depend on your budget and how invested you are in this hobby.
Some of the brand names are expensive (you pay for quality).
Some of the off-brands like Orange are much cheaper and still work fairly well.

Do some research. Do you fly with anyone else? What systems are they using?
What features do you think you'll need now and in the future?
  • How many channels (I'd go with at least 6)
  • Model memory (yes - you don't want to reconfigure and re-trim every time you switch planes)
  • At a minimum - Servo reversing, rates, expos
I bought a Radian UMX (BNF only) and needed a Spektrum Transmitter. I bought the cheap DX5 and it did OK for that model.
I tried using it with a Blade Nano QX and this is where I started to see how short sighted this decision was.
The lack of expo curves for the throttle made it very hard for me to control altitude and I had to re-trim every time I switched from the glider.
I already have a nice Futaba 8 channel FASST transmitter for all of my non-Horizon stuff so my problems were only with my current and future Horizon BNF purchases.
I would Not recommend the DX5 as a starter -
  • 5 Channels
  • Servo Reversing
  • Dual Rates
  • Switch to control modes like Acro or AS3X
I recently purchased the DX6 (they had a sale and it was an anniversary gift from SWMBO*).
This seems like a perfect starter that you could grow into (not cheap, but a quality tool).
The DX6i is the older version and these are quite affordable now.
I felt stupid at first about the wasteful DX5 purchase, but soon learned that it can wirelessly bind to the DX6 and work as a buddy box. The DX6 came with a free receiver so I plan to build an FT Flyer just for buddy flights.... (c8

I do a lot of photography and there is a similar principle there -
Most new photographers buy at least three tripods - 2 crappy ones and finally a quality one that lasts forever.
The smart move is to invest in a quality one and enjoy it's better performance right from the start.

Best regards,
PCH

*SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
gunpreetsingh85,

Welcome to the forums.

If you are looking for cheap (like scratch building cheap) the Turnigy 9X is an excellent radio for the money. I own a few futaba radios and a Turnigy 9X. The 9X works fine and you can get additional receivers for about $8.00. It has all the features that a beginner would need and more. Plenty of room to grow into dual rates, expo, mixes, and wing types.

If you are going to buy RTF models that are Bind and Fly, then the Spectrum is a good choice. It uses the protocol that most of the BNF models use.

Short of needing a radio for a BNF model, the Turnigy 9X is my recommendation.