Best Indoor DIY Micro for Beginner

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Hi all! Looking for suggestions. (and opinions) on the best DIY solution for an indoor micro. I first want to preface this by defining an indoor space as a space that is 42 X 50 ft with around 25 ft ceilings. Small I know. Has anyone had experience with FT planes in a space that small? Would a Flyer or a mini scout work?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi all! Looking for suggestions. (and opinions) on the best DIY solution for an indoor micro. I first want to preface this by defining an indoor space as a space that is 42 X 50 ft with around 25 ft ceilings. Small I know. Has anyone had experience with FT planes in a space that small? Would a Flyer or a mini scout work?
The mini scout can make a great platform! There are some great light builds here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/2021-mini-scout-challenge.66033/
Peel the paper and use a 1s brushed setup from one of the umx planes and you have yourself a great flyer. Here’s video of mine which was using a 2s umx setup:
It’ll be much slower with a 1s setup, and mine was also carrying the extra weight of lights.

Rasterize

Mentor
the ez 2/3 pack stuff is what I would look at for that limited space.

This is a nice option for younger kids. They also use the EZ 2 channel power pack which brings start-up cost way down. $40 for all the electronics to get started? Yes please.

Rasterize

Mentor
I would think if you built a mini scout as light as humanly possible it would probably work pretty well.
I have seen folks post that they can build a mini scout and get it under 250 grams. That's a plus for not having to mess with any FAA stuff. It would also allow the use of "regular" radios and electronics that would build skills for larger aircraft and allow for progression in the hobby.

Rasterize

Mentor
I built the SE5 and I would classify it as an indoor flyer.
It might be a bit clunky though
Maybe. A 40X50 space is still really tight even for a mighty mini. Might be too much to expect a newbie to navigate that small a space.

Rasterize

Mentor
You could make a micro mini sportster with an extra wing as a Bi-plane would work. (line it directly above of the lower,
A micro-mini sportser huh? Any plans floating around or is it just a percentage reduction thing?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
no I don't think so,
let me check...

There is a Mighty Mini Sportster. (and that would work.. but not what I was thinking)

Sorry, it is the Might Mini Speedster with gear, with an extra wing mounted directly above the lower one, while on the ground.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I have seen folks post that they can build a mini scout and get it under 250 grams. That's a plus for not having to mess with any FAA stuff. It would also allow the use of "regular" radios and electronics that would build skills for larger aircraft and allow for progression in the hobby.
We had a challenge run a few months back to build the lightest scout, I think the lightest was under 50 grams!

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Just some different ideas for your space, I've flown all of these in a space roughly the same size and had a ton of fun.
IMG_20210627_184221353.jpg
IMG_20210411_124030666.jpg
IMG_20201213_000004289.jpg