Blackout Mini Frames

Blackout

Good day everyone !

A few of you might be aware of my crazy little creations, but for those who aren't aware I want to introduce myself.

Over the last year I have become obsessed with flying Multirotors. I did the usual massive multirotor for my first build, which was a great experience; flying provided such a different perspective, I loved it !

After learning to fly I got a little bored just floating around up high and decided to start playing with smaller Multirotors. I struggled to find a frame that suited my needs and ended up with the Quadrixette Nano from Eyefly.

While small I managed to crame in all of the larger electronics I would use from my ~400mm quad. After flying the Nano I knew this is where I wanted to go. Sadly after a few weeks I broke it in half, this gave me the motivation I need to design and cut my own Mini Quad.

I decided to move forward with the H style quad as it allowed more room for electronics, while keeping everything small.

Around this time I started my Blackout Mini H Quad on OpenPilot detailing my build. I had a lot of inquiries from other OP users who wanted their own Mini H Quad.

This is when the craziness started :D

I was able to get a small batch of Mini H Quads cut for these people. Everyone who flew the Mini H Quad was hooked !!

One of the biggest problems was getting manufacturers on-board to produce smaller multirotor parts, such as motors. I was turned down by many manufacturers such as SunnySky. At this time I was using a same fixed wing motor by T-Motor, the MT1306-10. After selling a heap of these motors and constantly harassing them, T-Motor agreed to produce a modified version of their newly released MN1806 motor better suited to my needs. To this day I still use and recommend this motor.

Soon after I started designing my Blackout Mini Spider Hex which allowed me to carry a GoPro for better footage. The Spider Hex flies like a larger 400mm quad, but is more nimble and has awesome acceleration.

Fast forward 7 months and here we are now !

Everyone has been bitten by the Mini craze and thanks to everyone that has supported me, I have been able to dedicate a lot of time to my pursuit of happiness, Mini Multirotors.

I could not have created anything without the support from my customers, for this I am truly grateful.

If anyone has any questions, I'm here to answer them; ask anything you want.

Blackout Mini H Quad

img_6046.jpg

IMG_6679_resize.JPG

Blackout Mini Spider Hex

img_6006_fixed.jpg

img_5697.jpg

Last edited:

gmwap

Good to see these frame getting the recognition they deserve! After building one last year the only negative I see is how addictive they are to fly :D haha.. They really open up a whole bunch of new flying spots...

I can't wait to see what the guys make of them in the Flite Test review video :) They sounded super positive in the podcast about your frames so it should be a good episode to watch!

1.1.jpg

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Guys these frames are SUUUUUPER quality and are rather addictive. The warpquad took over my building board as an impulse buy whilst I was getting ready to order one of these but I intend to order one quick smart now that one is about to feature on flitetest. Good old Aussie ingenuity... Love it!

MidwestRob

BlackOut, I'm a big fan of your frame designs. I'm also proud to say that I'm one of the few who purchased one of your original versions of the BlackOut Mini-H frame way back when you started the whole "Mini Craze". I've flown it more often and harder than any other frame I've owned. It's still flying strong and one of my favorites to bash around at the park with. My little Mini H has survived more crashes than any of my other multirotors combined. It's nearly indestructible. The only things I've managed to break so far is a few nylon screws that hold the plates together and a bucket full of props.

I also just recently bought and built one of your BlackOut Mini Spider Hex frames. Wow, it's a work of art! So fast and agile, yet so stable and graceful at the same time. It's hard to believe it's a mini when flying it from under the FPV goggles. It's flight characteristics remind me a lot of another sporty FPV multirotor I like to fly with, the QAV400.

If anyone is on the ropes about whether or not they should get one, believe me, you will not be disappointed.

Here's a couple pictures of my BlackOut builds:
20130905_071057_zps875eaaf6.jpg

20140310_045231_zps8efe3b32.jpg

Last edited:

baddox

Good to see you around these parts. I've had my eye on the Blackout mini H quad for a long time now. It's still, as far as I can tell, the cleanest and most attractive mini H quad out there. As soon as I save up some money (and perhaps get confident enough with my FPV skills) you'll be shipping me one. :)

Blackout

Thanks guys

I've been lurking around the forums for a while now, but I decided it was time to post :D

I'm constantly watching Flite Test and loving it !

Normally I load up a play list worth and play while packing orders, it makes the time fly

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
My order just went through. Blackout, you sir are a bad bad man... :cool:
Are you based in Brisbane? I can't remember what I was told. I would be keen to catch up for a fly down the track if you are.

Now to wait for Soma and his order of Sunnyskys... Batteries, I need more batteries. Put the wallet down man!!!! I need a rest....

BorisB

Hi folks,

I am also one of the Blackout fans:D. It changed my FPV life :D

I got the full Blackout collection, which I love.
My spider is for fast long range proximity.
Mini H is for some close range threading the needle fun
Mini X is just for LOS acro fun.
20140116_222329_800x600.jpg

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
STOP SHOWING ME PICTURES OF THAT HEX! I've already spent more than I should have :rolleyes:

The Blackout will now make it three unfinished multicopters on my bench. To think I hadn't even flown one in January. I'm deleting my paypal account ;)

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
'Puts Blackout on the ignore list'....

No wait.... I'll need more props eventually. Scratch that.

Can you tell it's after work hours right now in Brisbane :rolleyes:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Many years ago I started to learn on Mode 2 but when I got into sailplanes, everyone was on mode 1 so I switched. After a 10 year or so break I got back into it and feel like I'm all on my own :(

Maybe one day I'll switch back to mode 2 as I can kind of fly both since I learned on that mode initially.

RIANREX

I've been flying Blackout frames for about 6 months now and they are the best thing to ever happen to me and my fpv learning curve. The quality and durability is unmatched in my experience. My fear of crashing quickly faded away and I quickly became eager to try new things I had never thought I would. I currently own a mini-h, spiderhex and a new prototype that blackout kindly sent me last week to test out (test flight video to be uploaded tomorrow).
The amount of power these machines have is incredible and can get you out of close calls very quickly and even if you smash into something you will be lucky to even break a propellor.
I have friends who base jump and I have always wanted to know what that would be like but would never try it. Wingsuit base jumping has always intrigued me. The best thing I have ever done with these machines is Cliff Diving in an effort to obtain similar video and the day I succeeded took my confidence to a whole new level as nerve racking as it was. I see a big future in mini FPV especially racing and cannot wait to see where it ends up going. Until then i intend to break as much new ground in the FPV world as I can and these little machines are making this possible. Keep up the great work blackout. If you haven't got one of these thing's yet get one ASAP you will not regret it.
This is my cliff diving video enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D-mBn9SwZw

Last edited: